Fabio

How To Properly Weigh Mg Doses 1-10mg?

21 posts in this topic

Hello Trippers.

I have been researching here and there for months and spent hours today trying to find an accurate way of measuring mg's for smoking and ingesting psychedelics with no solid answer.

It appears all the digital scales under $400 or so on Amazon have complaints of the scales not being accurate enough to weigh Mg's consistently varying from a few mg's (which is a big dose difference smoking 5-meo DMT). I bought and returned one on Amazon that cost about $30 CAD and 5mg pharmacy pill I tested read as over 20mg and yes I calibrated as instructions asked.

I am now looking at the Gemini-20. The one on Amazon some reviewers said was a cheap knock off. I found one locally for $65 with a 7-day return policy. The one locally should be the real brand yet it's more expensive on the manufacturer website ($150 with shipping but obviously guaranteed genuine being from manufacturer direct) But I'm almost certain it will still not be super accurate but better (within a few mg range of actual weight) compared to the first one I bought.  

My question is:  What if I used a Gemini-20 for example and used a 2.5mg and a 5mg pharmacy prescribed pill as a reference weight on an inaccurate scale (Say I put a 5mg pill and it reads 8mg on the scale) and then I remove the pill and add 5-meo on the scale until it reads 8mg. Would that be an accurate way to weigh a 5mg dose?

I have looked at the 2-3mg measuring spoons they sell online but those are only useful after you first measured a full spoon of the specific substance on a scale then you can record how many mg a full spoon is for future use. (Should probably write it down for reference) 

I have smoked 5-meo without a scale with a minimal dose with nice results but maybe under-dosing for a big breakthrough experience but yet still effective.

Any other methods advised for dosing 5-meo freebase accurately? Thanks! 

I will be also using this method for other substances. I ordered 4-ACO-DMT Furumate to ingest . But that is like 3.5g of shrooms in the 15-20mg dose range which is easier to measure. . 20mg+ feels like DMT :)

Thanks for the help getting to a solid conclusion!

Edited by Fabio

I have a € 20 one from amazon and it works very well, it has a deviation of about 2 mg, but it can be fine-tuned more easily. You weigh it once and it weighs 6, the next 7 then 5, again 7. Well, you deduce that it weighs 6, since it was never 4 or 8

Just use a microscoop.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Be aware that a 5mg pharmaceutical pill contains 5mg of the drug plus a load of fillers which bumps up the weight. So  5mg (or any mg) pill will weigh more.

Microscoops are hit and miss depending on the compactness of your 5 MeO DMT.

If using a scale such as the Gemini, which is pretty good if used with a couple of things in mind, educate yourself on the concept of "percentage errors". Such a scale will be more inaccurate at the lower doses (<10mg) but if you place a cigarette paper (small size=49-53mg) on the pan, note the weight and how it differs if at all between 3-5 weighings and use the average (mean) as the baseline weight of the paper ("X"mg), then add small amounts of 5 MeO onto the paper to get to the dose you want ie X+10mg if 10mg 5 MeO is the dose chosen. 

1 hour ago, Corpus said:

Microscoops are hit and miss depending on the compactness of your 5 MeO DMT.

Microscoops are very accurate as long as you're using the same batch of substance.

If you change batches, then you'll have to recalibrate, which isn't a problem.

My standard rule of thumb is to take 1 microscoop of any substance. Rarely will 1 microscoop get you into trouble. The ideal dose for many substances is between 1 to 3 microscoops. This is for plugging/snorting. Vaping needs to be lower, like half a microscoop to start.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Microscoops are very accurate as long as you're using the same batch of substance.

If you change batches, then you'll have to recalibrate, which isn't a problem.

My standard rule of thumb is to take 1 microscoop of any substance. Rarely will 1 microscoop get you into trouble. The ideal dose for many substances is between 1 to 3 microscoops. This is for plugging/snorting. Vaping needs to be lower, like half a microscoop to start.

IME there is more to it than batch of substance. It also depends on storage and any conditions it has been exposed to. If its been in your back pocket in a baggie and you have sat on it, compaction will result. This is a slightly facetious example but it illustrates a point.

Using a pill-press, it is possible to compress 500mg of 5 MeO DMT freebase into a pill-shape the size of a tablet of paracetamol. A tiny crumb shaved off from this can be over 15mg. Having seen this first-hand, I would always suggest finding a consistent  way of calculating the dosage beyond visual inspection and using it every time.

3 hours ago, Corpus said:

If its been in your back pocket in a baggie and you have sat on it, compaction will result. This is a slightly facetious example but it illustrates a point.

Then you just need to crumble it, not a big deal. I can confirm that micro scoops are the best way to accurately measure very small portions. You don't even need to know the exact mg, just use a micro scoop to have a point of reference.

https://www.reddit.com/r/5MeODMT/comments/6ctodn/advice_on_precise_measurements_of_5meodmt_dosages/

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

IME there is more to it than batch of substance. It also depends on storage and any conditions it has been exposed to. If its been in your back pocket in a baggie and you have sat on it, compaction will result. This is a slightly facetious example but it illustrates a point.

Using a pill-press, it is possible to compress 500mg of 5 MeO DMT freebase into a pill-shape the size of a tablet of paracetamol. A tiny crumb shaved off from this can be over 15mg. Having seen this first-hand, I would always suggest finding a consistent  way of calculating the dosage beyond visual inspection and using it every time.

A) Why the hell would you carry 5-MeO-DMT in your back pocket and sit on it???

B) Obviously it's possible to compress stuff, but you shouldn't mess with it at all. Any chunks you can crush up into a powder to get a consistent powdery batch.

I would always suggest finding a consistent  way of calculating the dosage beyond visual inspection and using it every time.

17 minutes ago, Enlightenment said:

You don't even need to know the exact mg, just use a micro scoop to have a point of reference.

No contradiction.

17 minutes ago, Enlightenment said:
3 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

A) Why the hell would you carry 5-MeO-DMT in your back pocket and sit on it???

A) I wouldn't. Many people handle/stash their substances in  ways/locations which could result in compression.

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

B) Obviously it's possible to compress stuff, but you shouldn't mess with it at all. Any chunks you can crush up into a powder to get a consistent powdery batch.

B) Compressing it reduces the surface area exposed to degrading factors thereby increasing longevity (worth it if one has freebase and aims to keep it for a good length of time). Avoiding any chunks for consistency of dosing needs to be stressed more. 

@Corpus I've never had a problem just taking 1 to 2 scoops of whatever substance. 2 scoops ain't gonna kill ya. Worst that will happen is a strong bad trip.

1 hour ago, Corpus said:

No contradiction.

@Corpus  I'll give an analogy of measuring body fat percentage to measure progress in losing body fat. Do we have to know what our actual bf% is to accurately measure trend? No. Some people are posting update videos on Youtube and week 1 are 9,7% bf measured by calipers, week 8 are 5,5% measured by calipers, then people in the comment section go "you are not 9,7% bf lol", but it doesn't matter if he was actually 9,7%; even if week 1 his actual bf was 20% and by week 8 it was 15,8%  the relative difference is still the same.

So it does not matter if scoop says it should be 12mg and in reality it's 8 mg because your point of reference is scoops themselves. You start with half a scoop and then increase to 1 scoop if the trip was too weak, and so on. If you're doing 3 scoops for a breakthrough and someone asks you how many mg's you're doing to get a breakthrough - you don't know, but you don't have to

The point is that you can accurately measure 3 scoops every time and they're pretty deamn accurate

Edited by Enlightenment

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

23 hours ago, Fabio said:

Any other methods advised for dosing 5-meo freebase accurately? Thanks! 

If you're planning on ingesting, ie (4-AcO), you can try the following:
Measure out 50mg accurate, then pre-mix it with 500ml of water. This way your 50ml doses will have 5mg substance. (should work for plugging too, but you'd have to use lower volume).

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune

1 hour ago, Arthur said:

Measure out 50mg accurate, then pre-mix it with 500ml of water. This way your 50ml doses will have 5mg substance. (should work for plugging too, but you'd have to use lower volume).

Very dangerous if you forget to shake it up properly before use.

2 hours ago, Arthur said:

4-Aco tastes nasty and has a burn. I’d plug it. 

4-AcO-DMT is extremely potent when plugged. Watch out. Just one scoop can mindfuck you real bad.

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

4-AcO-DMT is extremely potent when plugged. Watch out. Just one scoop can mindfuck you real bad.

Plugged is 3X as potent for me. It feels cleaner and about 1/2 the body load. It’s onset is much faster and the duration is only about 2hrs vs 4hr.

I´ve tried 4-AcO plugged and it was on-par of potency with oral ime.

Maybe it could have been that my technique was wrong? 

I did experience way less body load (practically non-existent), so it definetely feels the way to go next time I want to do it.

9 hours ago, Forestluv said:

Plugged is 3X potency for me. It feels cleaner and about 1/2 the body load. It’s onset is much faster and the duration is only about 2hrs vs 4hr.

Interesting. I never tried it orally so can't compare. I just know it's way potent. And for me it lasts 4hrs+

For all plugged substances onset is about 10 minutes for me.

@Leo Gura thank you Leo and everyone else for the feedback. My current conclusion is to get a Gemini scale for higher doses 10mg+ & 3mg measuring spoons will be used for 5meo Dmt by experimenting with how many scoops are required for a break through dose by starting low. 

Very interesting advice for plugging 4-Aco-dmt. I’ve never plugged before but it sounds like generally plugging requires much less than drinking it. Glad I learned that here. Im thinking to drink it with juice, is that at all advisable? 

On 11/29/2020 at 6:16 AM, Leo Gura said:

For all plugged substances onset is about 10 minutes for me.

I experienced the same when plugging LSD.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:43 AM, Enlightenment said:

Then you just need to crumble it, not a big deal. I can confirm that micro scoops are the best way to accurately measure very small portions. You don't even need to know the exact mg, just use a micro scoop to have a point of reference.

https://www.reddit.com/r/5MeODMT/comments/6ctodn/advice_on_precise_measurements_of_5meodmt_dosages/

This is an interesting link.

I forgive my past, I release the future, and I honor how I feel in the present.