zenjen

Boycotting Amazon for the Holidays?

23 posts in this topic

I have never given the company Amazon much thought until recently. I honestly only bought maybe one thing from Amazon every few months if it was something I couldn't locate in a store near me, until this year. I have been buying things from Amazon more and more frequently over the past 2 or 3 months (mostly art supplies so far) and have noticed the sheer convenience of it is bringing me back for more. As an artist who sometimes makes things to sell, I feel a little guilty every time I proceed to check out. I could be more consciously giving my money away to an individual or a local store or even just a smaller chain store. But damn it is so convenient!

I think it might be a good idea for me to boycott Amazon for (at least) the holidays this year. I suppose the message here is to encourage people to spend more consciously as well, not only in what they are buying but from who.

"Move and the way will open."
– Zen Proverb

i only buy things on amazon that i don't find in my city or online stores from my country

like some supplements etc. for example

jeffy bezos has enough money

5 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

i only buy things on amazon that i don't find in my city or online stores from my country

like some supplements etc. for example

jeffy bezos has enough money

If you worked everyday since the birth of Jesus with a rich mans salary (around 2k/hr) up til now you still wouldnt be as rich as Bezos. Let that sink in. 

Theres a video about it on Youtube, I dont remeber the name though. :( 

Imagine having enough money not just for one lifetime but for 200.

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

@PurpleTree I commend you for that!

I just had an unsettling thought. The advertising company I work at actually has a large deal with Amazon right now. So in a way my job is sort of supported by Amazon more or less. Oh, the irony.

– Zen Proverb

6 minutes ago, Rilles said:

If you worked everyday since the birth of Jesus with a rich mans salary (around 2k/hr) up til now you still wouldnt be as rich as Bezos. Let that sink in. 

Theres a video about it on Youtube, I dont remeber the name though. :( 

Imagine having enough money not just for one lifetime but for 200.

while there is still so much poverty in the US, that's amazing.

also how quick his wealth grew is astounding and the pandemic has been great for that

7 minutes ago, zenjen said:

@PurpleTree I commend you for that!

I just had an unsettling thought. The advertising company I work at actually has a large deal with Amazon right now. So in a way my job is sort of supported by Amazon more or less. Oh, the irony.

i do use audible though, which is an amazon company, so i'm feeding the monster too and securing your job :)

16 minutes ago, datamonster said:

Why? The enemy of the good is always the better isn't it? 

Back when cars were invented it must've sucked for makers of horse carriages. But that's how progress happens: The old has to make way for the new.

And now traditional retail is pretty much dead, unless they start innovating and offering a better value preposition.

so with veganism you're very kind of strict and lecturing

but here you don't care about those store workers at all and are happy to to throw your money at the richest man of the world who doesn't even really pay taxes 

Edited by PurpleTree

14 minutes ago, datamonster said:

I'm pro progress

what if the progress goes into a wrong direction/dead end etc.

and what exactly do you call progress, some might call open borders progress, some might call stricter immigration and the deportation of certain foreigners progress.

hitler made a lot of progress for germany in some ways (a fellow vegetarian)

soviets in russia too

factory farming

the great leap forward and the cultural revolution in china

right now the social credit score system in china etc.

all those things are progress are you pro?

or do you look at each piece within those "movements" individually and then say for example autobahn and microwave was good progress by the nazis, holocaust not so good. etc.?

Edited by PurpleTree

22 minutes ago, datamonster said:

And now traditional retail is pretty much dead, unless they start innovating and offering a better value preposition.

What do most people value most when shopping? Price and convenience are very large factors, of course. I'm guessing that's why Amazon makes a killing. The value prop of shopping small/local would be not supporting a filthy rich billionaire, less strain on the environment (2-day shipping has its own costs), and taxes can be reinvested in your own community. So, I guess where you choose to buy from depends on your own personal values and priorities.

Am I against innovation? No. I would just rather dedicate my resources to things that align with my own values. Not trying to knock anyone, just giving some food for thought.

– Zen Proverb

@zenjen Your intentions are admirable but you are trying to stand up against a tsunami and it will not change a thing. Amazon is here to stay. People will buy more and more commodities online because the reality is that local mom and pop stores are not efficient enough to survive into the future for staple goods.

Eventually majority of stuff should be purchasable online from a single place. Because that's most efficient.

As societies evolve old business models will die out.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

9 minutes ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

@Leo Gura Do you use Amazon? If so, how do you justify using it despite the workers rights reputation it has?

Of course I use it.

I justify it in that lots of companies have abusive labor practices. I can't keep track of everyone's abuses. We need better regulations at the government level. Amazon does pay $15/hr these days.

In general I don't believe boycotts are an effective means of improving society. It's too little too late. For Amazon to be changed by this you'd need millions of customers boycotting in a highly coordinated matter -- which I don't see happening. If it was about to happen, then I might join in.

I'm generally not a fan of fighting for lost causes. If I fight for something I want it to have a decent chance at success. You have to fight with the grain of evolution, not against it. For example, fighting against smart phones is not gonna work. Smart phones are a force of nature that you will not be able to stop.

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@zenjen Your intentions are admirable but you are trying to stand up against a tsunami and it will not change a thing. Amazon is here to stay. People will buy more and more commodities online because the reality is that local mom and pop stores are not efficient enough to survive into the future for staple goods.

Eventually majority of stuff should be purchasable online from a single place. Because that's most efficient.

Lol thanks Leo ? I’m aware it’s probably a hill I’m going to die on but at least for my own cause

– Zen Proverb

4 minutes ago, zenjen said:

Lol thanks Leo ? I’m aware it’s probably a hill I’m going to die on but at least for my own cause

Sorry, I didn't mean to demoralize you. If you want to die on that hill, go for it. I was just sharing my opinion.

18 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Of course I use it.

I justify it in that lots of companies have abusive labor practices. I can't keep track of everyone's abuses.

for sure we can't keep track of everyones abuses.

but if it's some sort of monopoly or going into that direction with the richest person on earth leading it, then it might be important to keep track of those things to an extent?

Edited by PurpleTree

3 minutes ago, datamonster said:

I think you don't appreciate the challenge of having thousands of employees that depend on your decision-making.

Obviously he doesn't have money problems, but that doesn't mean his life is easy. He has quite a huge responsibility. Lots of people are going to be negatively impacted by every decision he makes, who will then hate him for it.

Few people are able handle that kind of responsibility. This requires leadership and vision.

Fine. My speculation doesnt make the world a better place anyway. Everything is going according to plan... 

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

17 minutes ago, PurpleTree said:

for sure we can't keep track of everyones abuses.

but if it's some sort of monopoly or going into that direction with the richest person on earth leading it, then it might be important to keep track of those things to an extent?

It's not a bad point.

I just don't see Amazon changing due to my not shopping on it.

And there are many things I buy on Amazon that I could not buy in any local store. Amazon has an amazing collection of unique items that can't be found elsewhere.

And many commodity items I would have to buy in a giant store regardless. What difference does it make if I buy my razor blades from Amazon vs Walmart vs supermarket?

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Framing issues of Social Justice (such as a handful of billionaires owning more wealth than the bottom half of the country) as a matter of Consumer Choice seems like fundamentally the wrong mindset to take, and feels illustrative of how disempowered we've become as Citizens to get public policy passed to correct for this.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Since I live in a more rural area Amazon is a godsend. We only have autopart stores, Family dollar and Wal-Mart. Otherwise, I have to drive 25 minutes for other type of shopping.

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Ananta same with me. I rely so much on Amazon. For every little thing and big thing. 

Amazon is my life saver. 

But it's not like I like capitalism. It's just that there is no alternative. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

2 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

But it's not like I like capitalism. It's just that there is no alternative. 

True and they make it so economical with the yearly one time fee for shipping also. 

Occasionally, I'll go to order something from another on-line store and am shocked when they add on $12.99 for shipping. Ack.

I usually cancel it and find something comparable on Amazon.?

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?