Strangeloop

Is contemplation simply answering your own questions?

9 posts in this topic

I'll explore this idea here. Is it true? what is true? That contemplation is answering questions... (there are two options now I either go to the "No it is not" route or "Yes it is" route) I choose... Yes it is. Contemplation is answering questions. Though that I made up and how does it make it any true? I don't know. 

Then answering your own questions is not contemplation. which means it's something else. But Am I not contemplating right now? No. I simply answered my own question. Doesn't it make it contemplation? Sure it does. it does make it true then. That contemplation is simply answering questions. And here I can disagree and agree with that statement, but what's the end result of that conversation? nothingness. or Somethingness. 

These dualities... right? ??

The way I see contemplation is starting with a question, and observing what is been questioned in the now. Sometimes answers come, sometimes they don't, but what is importanted is when awareness shines threw, what is, the truth is uncovered by the vail of belief. 
It's got nothing to do with answers, and everything to do with awareness of what the thing being contemplated actually is.
Answers are just more thoughts.

The how is what you build, the why is in your heart. 

Contemplation can be done in quite a few ways. Here are 3 of my favorites:

1. Allow everything to be as it is.

2. Ask a question, and do not attempt to answer it.

• Adjunct: Ask which questions would be most fruitful for the above exercise -- do not attempt to answer this question either!

3. Hold a word or phrase in awareness, and allow it to disclose a deeper meaning, without intentionally using your mind.

Edited by The0Self

@Strangeloop The end result of a contemplation sometimes ends up being a sudden shift in awareness such that the previous held duality you thought about and tussled with no longer matters. You see the framing of the duality as erroneous to begin with. 

Also, if there are answers, ime they are very idiosyncratic and are the solution that applies to you. Someone else can arrive at the exact opposite answer but it's the truth they need, and you have the truth you need.

This is another way of realising the fact reality is radically subjective, strange-loopey, and what's important can't be captured by the verbal answer that you give. It's about what the concepts you're using are animating within you, what relation you bear with them and their function. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

13 hours ago, Strangeloop said:

I'll explore this idea here. Is it true? what is true? That contemplation is answering questions... (there are two options now I either go to the "No it is not" route or "Yes it is" route) I choose... Yes it is. Contemplation is answering questions. Though that I made up and how does it make it any true? I don't know. 

Then answering your own questions is not contemplation. which means it's something else. But Am I not contemplating right now? No. I simply answered my own question. Doesn't it make it contemplation? Sure it does. it does make it true then. That contemplation is simply answering questions. And here I can disagree and agree with that statement, but what's the end result of that conversation? nothingness. or Somethingness. 

These dualities... right? ??

There is actually a "neither" answer, but it may elude you if your fixed on believing that your doing the questioning and answering.  A big bang happened long before you had questions, grew a solar system, earth happened to be one of them in which grows people, of which your one and convinced your in full control of the process you speak of.

True contemplation forces you to be more mindful in order to answer the question.

You ask the question and observe.

The problem with abstract concepts is that they can be argued upon for eternity even by the same one person.

The mind is a maze, and language are its walls. If you want to break out of the maze, break down the walls ;)

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

I'm lately been struggling with contemplation. I lately use a journal to write down my questions and answers for what I'm contemplating because sometimes in the past when I just use the mind I get lost easily. While I jot down a question, I mostly pace back and forth in my room for an answer, then when I get an answer I write that down, and continue for 30-60 minute. The thing I was contemplating last week was open-mindedness, and this one was difficult.

Then an insight happened, and I became, funnily enough, open-minded to the possibility of using NLP for this practice. Why? Because sometimes, depending on the time and what resource state I'm in, my sessions could be easier or difficult. For example, I could think about a context where I felt bored, lazy, or depressed, visualize it in full, and do contemplation on some other idea, but I'm in that state of boredom, laziness and depression, which is and has happened to be sometimes the case in where I found some sessions very difficult, compared to contemplating something I find passionate or interesting. Why? Because I find it interesting, the memories or thoughts I bring to mind more likely contain more resourceful states like happiness, creativity, or confidence, which shapes how I answer my own questions.

Another insight is what role are you, the self concept you are, has became before doing a contemplation session? For example, I've contemplated evil, suffering and fear, and it turns out that most of how I answered my questions came from roles I've slipped into in the past, as perpetrator to some degree, or as a victim of some degree, which really influences how I answer, because at that time I didn't notice what role I was in in answering my questions, while getting distracted by some random thoughts, or forgetting something, or getting too distressed to answer fully.

So, I think NLP might be useful for those, me included, that really struggles with contemplation.

I let go of the intention of finding *the* answer and allowing *a* answer to arise.

For example, I may ask “what is thought?”. All sorts of ‘answers’ may arise and I may think “Omigosh! I never saw it like that before”. I also try to allow space for ‘answers’ beyond logical thought answers. For example, one time I contemplated “what is genuine?”. There were all sorts images, feelings, intuitions, energy - without thinking and trying to define “genuine” in words. This can deepen and broaden understanding.