tsuki

Sensations in my feet and calves

9 posts in this topic

Hey, I recently started to notice the sensations that I experience in my feet and calves. They were there for a very long time but I used to shrug them off as having my shoes tied too tight, etc. I was experiencing them probably for a few years now but now that my nervous system is more calm, I can focus on them better.

In my feet I sense something between tingling, pinching, or stinging depending on the intensity of the sensation. The area covers the skin that is in contact with the ground. Changing the way in which I contact the ground alleviates these sensations for a while, but they eventually come back to their previous intensity. I was not able to correlate them with stress or other external, emotional, factors so I'm thinking that they are physical. When it comes to my calves, they tend to tense up and I have to massage them until they relax. I'm thinking that maybe I'm tensing them up in response to tingling in my feet?

So far I've tried exercise (running), but the habit was disrupted by my recent covid infection and I was not paying attention to its effect on these sensations before. I felt much better overall back then. I tend to spend a lot of time sitting (I'm a programmer), so it may be spine-related. I also experience some upper-back pain because of the tension in my shoulders. I'm meeting a physiotherapist for that though.

Other medical conditions that may be of relevance is that I was diagnosed with juvenile idiopathic arthritis, but I was not prescribed any medication for it and I'm not addressing it in any way as an adult.

I'm not necessarily looking for a diagnosis, but rather fishing for ideas on how to approach this from different angles.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

This is fibromyalgia. 

You have inflammation in your body which is indicated by the arthritis. 

This will take 6 months to a year to heal. 

You need to drink Berry and apple juice. Include loads do citrus fruits and berries. 

Look for anti-inflammatory naturally found foods and start eating them. 

Exercise and sleep well. 

Eat Vitamin D. Very important. 

Stay away from allergies. Reduce stress. 

Do not eat junk food. Cut dairy. 

Drink honey every day. 

Regular walking or slight jogging. No heavy jogging. 

Light cardio. No heavy cardio.

Drink tons of clean water each day to flush inflammation causing proteins 

Move the muscle and massage the area that shows tingling stinging. 

It will take a ton of time for the stinging tingling muscle to return back to normal. 

This is both a brain body issue. Too much inflammation reaches the brain affecting nerves that cause abnormal sensations to appear in specific muscles.. 

Also too much work especially in front of a computer can impact the brain. Use good quality radiation resistant anti glare glasses. 

Add lemons to your diet. Drink lime/lemon water with some sugar. 

This will take a lot of time to heal. Be Patient. 

It's not a big thing. It might go away on its own. However if you don't take good care, the muscle will get weaker and weaker and spread to other neighboring muscles. So take all precautions right now. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

34 minutes ago, tsuki said:

In my feet I sense something between tingling, pinching, or stinging depending on the intensity of the sensation.

You may consider requesting blood test for B12 deficiency. How is your blood sugar, has it been tested anytime recently, do you have any personal/family history of blood sugar problem? 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

1 hour ago, Michael569 said:

How is your blood sugar, has it been tested anytime recently, do you have any personal/family history of blood sugar problem? 

@Michael569 I'm not aware of any sugar-related problems in my family. I will get my bloodwork done ASAP and post back results.
Do you know whether tripping on LSD can impact these tests? I have a trip scheduled for this Saturday and I can call it off.

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

This is fibromyalgia. 

300px-Tender_points_fibromyalgia.svg.png

This is interesting. The back pain roughly corresponds with fibromyalgia pain points, especially the neck and around the scapula. I will try to get it diagnosed soon. Thank you for the suggestion. 

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

This is interesting. My father was diagnosed with Sjogren syndrome and his daughter from previous marriage was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis so it indeed does seem like autoimmune. I can't believe I ignored this.

Edited by tsuki

@tsuki  call the lsd thing off and it's not good for you. Lsd can fuck up the autoimmune system, you already have a disregulated system. 

Get diagnosed for both fibromyalgia and Sjogren syndrome. 

Post results of your blood work here anonymously 

If you need help pm me when you get the results and I can do some research. 

How is your Covid? 

Please take care and get blood work done by next week. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

7 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@tsuki

If you don't believe me about the bad impact of LSD on autoimmune disorder then please read this link content 

https://skywoodrecovery.com/understanding-the-complications-of-lsd-use-with-an-autoimmune-disorder/

This actually makes sense. My last trip was so painful that I almost went crazy and the pain started in my feet. LSD is off. I will research its interactions with autoimmune diseases further.

Key to Fibromyalgia Pain Lies In the Skin of the Palms

People with fibromyalgia experience near-constant widespread pain, their hands and feet ache, and they often feel exhausted and foggy-brained. Yet because there is no blood test, lab test or scan that can confirm fibromyalgia, many doctors are skeptical about its very existence and suspect the problem is “all in the patient’s head.”

Finally, that’s about to change—because researchers at last have discovered a surprising key to this confounding and debilitating condition. The problem isn’t in patients’ heads—it’s in the skin of their hands.

BLOOD FLOW BASICS

To understand the new research, you first need to understand some basics about circulation. After leaving the heart, oxygenated blood travels through arteries and then into arterioles (small arteries) before entering the tiny capillaries. Oxygen and nutrients leave the capillaries to get into the body’s tissues and cells, and waste enters the capillaries. The blood then enters venules (small veins) and then larger veins, ultimately traveling to the lungs so it can be reoxygenated and filtered. And the cycle constantly repeats.

But not all blood enters the capillaries. Some blood flows directly from arteries into veins via arteriole-venule (AV) shunts, valves that open and close to control the passage of blood. The valves respond to cues from the nervous system, mainly to regulate body temperature. When a person is too hot, the shunts close, forcing the blood into the skin’s capillaries, where the heat can leave the body. When a person is cold, the shunts open, allowing the blood to flow into the venules and conserving heat. The parts of the body where AV shunts are most plentiful are the cheeks, nose, soles of the feet and palms of the hands. The skin in those areas is different—smooth, hairless and noticeably more sensitive to heat and cold.

EXAMINING SHUNTS

For the new study, researchers took small samples of skin from the palms of the hands of women with and without fibromyalgia. (Women are more than twice as likely to be diagnosed with fibromyalgia as men, and the hands are particularly painful in fibromyalgia sufferers.) Using special dyes, filters and lenses, the researchers closely examined many structures in the skin that are supplied by nerve fibers, including the AV shunts.

Startling finding: The number of AV shunts didn’t differ between the two groups, but their size did. In fact, the AV shunts in women with fibromyalgia were nearly four times larger and had roughly two to eight times as many nerve fibers as those in women without fibromyalgia. This most likely explains why cold exacerbates fibromyalgia symptoms…and it also leads to a compelling theory about the development of fibromyalgia pain and fatigue.

As mentioned before, the AV shunts open and close in response to temperature—but they also regulate blood flow to other tissues, including muscles, when increased blood flow is needed, such as during movement and exercise. If the AV shunts are unable to function properly due to the presence of excessive nerve fibers, the mismanaged blood flow could be the source of the widespread muscle pain, achiness, fatigue and cognitive problems that plague fibromyalgia patients. The researchers are now investigating why there are excess nerve fibers around the shunts. Study leader Frank L. Rice, PhD, explained, “The AV shunts are sites where sensory nerve fibers are intermingled with nerve fibers of the sympathetic nervous system, which is activated by stress. The excess nerves involve mostly the sensory fibers that might be proliferating in response to stress activation of the sympathetic fibers.”

GETTING HELP

Hopefully, this new information about fibromyalgia patients will lead to effective treatments…but in the meantime, it’s reassuring to know that there is a real pathology involved in the disorder.

Dr. Rice’s team is currently investigating whether men with fibromyalgia have a similar pathology to that discovered in women. Preliminary results indicate that women normally have more of the sensory fibers affiliated with the AV shunts, which may put them at greater risk of having excess fibers. Still, fibromyalgia is thought to be vastly underdiagnosed in men. According to recent research from the Mayo Clinic, 19 out of 20 men likely to have the disorder are not being properly diagnosed.

Source: Frank L. Rice, PhD, CEO and chief scientist, Integrated Tissue Dynamics, Rensselaer, New York, and former professor, Center for Neuropharmacology and Neuroscience, Albany Medical College, Albany, New York. His study was published in Pain Medicine. www.intidyn.com

This also seems to fit my other symptoms that I did not mention, which are cold hands and feet. I will observe how I feel after experiencing cold for extended periods of time, but I remember that I felt awful at my previous work where temperature was low.

I also remember that after taking LSD I'm experiencing huge temperature sways from my baseline down to being very cold where my body hurts.

Edited by tsuki