levani

awareness = the now ?

40 posts in this topic

is awareness basically another way of saying the now ?

Yes I'd agree. There's lots of names for "it", none of which capture "it" precisely, so tolerance and open mindedness is key. 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

How can you ever be conscious except now ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

My issue with this is, calling it "now" or the "present moment", "here and now" etc implies it exists as a moment in the succession of time, alongside other slices of time. I think the Abhidhamma in Theravada Buddhism  goes into this - eg how long is a "moment". Not a criticism as such, but a reminder to check thoughts like this - "now" in this sense means everything not just a snapshot. 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

Awareness is this. Don't make it any more complicated. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

7 hours ago, levani said:

is awareness basically another way of saying the now ?

Awareness is a thought. Now is a thought. Awareness is not a thought. Now is not a thought. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

There’s only awareness, but there is no awareness. It’s always now, but it’s never now.

Yep there is just everything.

And within this everything there seems to be a separate person lost in the minds endless identification games.

Awakening is the disentangling from the socially conditioned mind matrix of thought identification.

So there is always only this now everything it's just whether it's recognized or not ❤

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

@Nahm i still don't fully get it, is there a book on this you recommend ?

is it basically staying in the present moment without mind driftint off and if it does I just bring awareness back ?

@levani

The subtle implication of the op is that there is a you, which can be or stay in / leave or not be in, a now. This is a subject-object thought. Me, and the now. Or, awareness, and the now. Without the thought, there is / was already, not-two. 

28 minutes ago, levani said:

i still don't fully get it, is there a book on this you recommend ?

I (subject) don’t get it (object). That there is an I, and that there is an it, is an assumption, from believing the thought. 

is it basically staying in the present moment without mind driftint off and if it does I just bring awareness back ?

I (subject) staying in the present moment (object). I (subject) brings back awareness (object). ‘Bring awareness back’ is a thought. Letting the thought go, it becomes, or already is, obvious awareness is aware of the thought. 

Are you aware?

Are you aware that you are aware?

Now, try to think awareness. 

Notice ‘you’ is a thought, that you(awareness), are aware, of. 

what am i after ? being aware of being aware or just being aware ?

@levani

Letting go is effortless. If you were watching a movie, and there was a person and a car in the move, it would seem that there are two; person & car. But for you, sitting on the couch watching the movie, it is obvious there is not two (person & car), there is one, (the movie). Then imagine you’re formless and can appear as reality (the movie). Then notice you are imagination, which is formless, which is reality. Try to find ‘you’ in the movie, and you only find movie, movie, movie. You are that which is aware of, the movie...and that which is appearing as, the movie. You’re the screen, which characters ‘in the movie’ can never see, because there aren’t any characters, that’s the movie the screen is appearing to be. 

If it is found to be challenging, the ‘notice you are imagination’...notice indirectly. Whenever a ‘me’ seems to be, it can be noticed it is being imagined. Try to point to you. If you’re pointing to a body, notice you’re imagining you are the body. 

@Nahm did you just call me a movie ? lol

jk i am still wrapping my mind around it, this is a fat concept to understand but i'll just keep re reading your replies till I kind of get it i suppose

@levani

Me (subject) my mind (object), it (object). Beyond the thought, where, what are these three? Point to the literal separation. You’ll again notice you’re imagining the separation, rather than directly experiencing any separation.

You’re imagining there is a ‘fat concept’ to understand. Let that thought go. It’s another subject object thought. You & the fat concept. 

41 minutes ago, levani said:

@Nahm i still don't fully get it, is there a book on this you recommend ?

What is conscious of thought is the "present moment".
Turn your attention towards yourself.

It's not an experience, it's what makes experience possible.

And it's not an experience or an object, it's the underlying space or void underlying everything (the real you, not as an identity though).
You can't even say space or void, cause that would still imply it is an experience, but with language you have to point to something, it's circular lol

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Nahm why is it obvious that there is one (movie) and not two (person and car), if i am watching the movie there is a person and a car in it then there is a person and a car