Nash

Need clarity on "The Sneaky Psychology Behind Conspiracy Theories"

5 posts in this topic

I'd like to talk about "The Sneaky Psychology Behind Conspiracy Theories":

I watched this video at a point where I've been seriously following Jimmy Dore content, as I believe he is the most accurate source of political information out there. With all of the corruption he revealed to me, I was for once going to take the initiative to organize a protest with just a simple message of saying "fuck both Trump and Biden", to maybe do my part in helping people wake up. I even messaged some people in my college precalc Whatsapp group, asking if they’d want to join.

Then I watched this video and did a 360, decided not to watch anything political or fight. I interpreted this video as I shouldn’t even bother watching politics or protesting, because the world will only change when we change ourselves from within.

But this feels more and more like I misinterpreted something, like I shouldn’t just watch the world burn.

Did he just mean that although activism is necessary, not to get lost in it and be blind to my own devilry? Was he just saying not to let the outer world take over my inner world? To take action or not take action?

I derived some truths from this video, but I ultimately found this one confusing, and it’s causing me to have a personal crisis with my worldview without a straight answer to any of this.

OK heres the thing, what everyone seems to be doing is waking everyone else up, so regarding US politics, Trumpists are saying 'wake up dems are evil', dems are saying 'wake up trumps evil' and Dore seems to be saying 'wake up theyre both evil'. The implication is that their viewpoint is the 'right' one and everyone else is wrong. What this does is block them from having a wider perspective and looking at whats wrong within their current viewpoint. If you think of what a viewpoint is, its just a narrative of how you think the world is, if youre tied to it cognitively and emotionally, anything that puts that viewpoint into question will shake you and you may become defensive. Going within and working on yourself will let you see there are now view points there are just wider and wider perspectives, sort of like instead of standing too close to a painting and only seeing a little bit of it you can take steps back and try and see the whole thing. 

If everyone did this and cleared out their own personal bias' and self interest and need to be right we'll all, pretty much be looking at the same picture. Divisiveness and disagreement comes from these bias'.

In terms of letting the world burn, there is only so much you can do. If you take it on an individual basis, if you had a friend that was a drug addict and hes life was a mess and he really didnt want to get better, you would have to accept that mentally hes just not ready, it maybe the case that he needs his life to get worse so that in a moment of clarity he makes a change, for your part you just need to be ready to help and available when he is willing to make that change. I feel its the same with 'waking people up', clear out your own bias' and work on yourself and when others are ready or when the country is ready you will be there. 

Basically dont waste your time on all that shit and work towards realization

15 hours ago, Swarnim said:

Basically dont waste your time on all that shit and work towards realization

That sums up a lot of things!