What is consciousness made of?

73 posts in this topic

@Cosmin_Visan  beware of presuming other people's motives without knowing their mind. If people are expressing their authentic level of understanding that's perfect and what the forum is for.  

Edited by snowyowl

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

1 hour ago, Cosmin_Visan said:

OMG, so many low quality answers from people that are only interested to show how "profound" they are.

Get open to the possibility (remote) that you are not understanding because you are in a only rational state or conciousness (call it low if you prefer)

16 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

Get open to the possibility (remote) that you are not understanding because you are in a only rational state or conciousness (call it low if you prefer)

Ok, let's take your answer: "It's an absolute nothing that do things... mistery". How can your answer tell me why I experience the quale of red and not the quale of blue, for example ?

5 minutes ago, Cosmin_Visan said:

If you read the topic, you would see that I gave an answer.

If consciousness is meaning then what is aware of the meaning? We would say "I" understand the meaning of this" But who is the I? Is meaning or consciousness prior? Can you be aware of meaning while asleep? 

Youre probably going to think through the answer. I suggest you look at your experience instead. It doesnt help me to explain the color pink if you havent seen it. 

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

36 minutes ago, Cosmin_Visan said:

If you read the topic, you would see that I gave an answer.

I stand corrected and I apologise. I was being lazy in not reading all the posts.

Although in my defense (as if I had to defend myself), in my answer I was pointing out that consciousness is a concept in language - which it is. Whatever you equate consciousness with, it's still couched in language (on this forum).

All stories and explanations are false.

46 minutes ago, Cosmin_Visan said:

Ok, let's take your answer: "It's an absolute nothing that do things... mistery". How can your answer tell me why I experience the quale of red and not the quale of blue, for example ?

You read my answer and it seems like empty nonsense, I understand. the point is that my answer comes from direct perception. I have perceived with total clarity that under the illusion of this reality there is a timeless and dimensionless emptiness. absolute nothingness. but on the other hand, I see that that nothing in some way that I do not even remotely understand, generates this reality in real time. generates space and time in the precise present moment, since it is timeless. that's why I say: mystery

On 11/25/2020 at 9:51 AM, Cosmin_Visan said:

@73809 Consciousness is meaning. And as meaning, its qualities are determined by contexts. Have a look at my paper "Is Qualia Meaning or Understanding?": https://philpeople.org/profiles/cosmin-visan

And then to find out even more about the interplay between meanings and contexts, check-out "Telepathy: A Real-World Experiment".

Looks very interesting, was having similar ideas recently. Glad someone got to the same conclusions and hopefully put it in much better words. Thanks for sharing!

5 hours ago, Rilles said:

If consciousness is meaning then what is aware of the meaning? We would say "I" understand the meaning of this" But who is the I? Is meaning or consciousness prior? Can you be aware of meaning while asleep?

The first meaning originates from the eternal question "Who am I ?" which has as answer "I am.". And since the question is eternal, it will never feel satisfied, so it will continue to find an answer, and this eternal search for answer eternally enriches consciousness with meaning: I am human, I am human John, I am human John engineer, I am human John engineer working at google, etc.

4 hours ago, LastThursday said:

I stand corrected and I apologise. I was being lazy in not reading all the posts.

Although in my defense (as if I had to defend myself), in my answer I was pointing out that consciousness is a concept in language - which it is. Whatever you equate consciousness with, it's still couched in language (on this forum).

No, consciousness is the direct experience. And the direct experience is meaning.

10 minutes ago, Cosmin_Visan said:

The first meaning originates from the eternal question "Who am I ?" which has as answer "I am.". And since the question is eternal, it will never feel satisfied, so it will continue to find an answer, and this eternal search for answer eternally enriches consciousness with meaning: I am human, I am human John, I am human John engineer, I am human John engineer working at google, etc.

Consciousness exists with or without the question Who Am I. Youre not constantly thinking Who Am I during the day. That doesnt cut the mustard. Try again. Consciousness is a real thing. Its not meaning. Meaning is secondary.

You said it yourself, it enriches consciousness, therefore consciousness has to be something else for it to be enriched by something. 

Its very easy for you to sit down, close your eyes and see "Is meaning something I am aware of or is what I am?" 

Edited by Rilles

4 hours ago, Breakingthewall said:

You read my answer and it seems like empty nonsense, I understand. the point is that my answer comes from direct perception. I have perceived with total clarity that under the illusion of this reality there is a timeless and dimensionless emptiness. absolute nothingness. but on the other hand, I see that that nothing in some way that I do not even remotely understand, generates this reality in real time. generates space and time in the precise present moment, since it is timeless. that's why I say: mystery

Yes, of course this is what it is at the origin. But to fully understand it, we also need to know how it generates the reality in which we find ourselves. To answer like Leo "it is infinite imagination and anything goes" is not an answer at all. Is just intellectual laziness. So yeah, if we are to trully understand consciousness, we also need to understand how it generates the qualia that it does. Or if "generates" is not the proper way to frame the problem (since time itself is just a quale), then we still need to find a way to frame it as to explain the reality in which we find ourselves.

Just now, Rilles said:

Consciousness exists with or without the question Who Am I. Youre not constantly thinking Who Am I during the day. That doesnt cut the mustard. Try again. Consciousness is a real thing. Its not meaning. Meaning is secondary. 

Questions, as ontological entities, are something more subtle than the way in which we use the term in everyday life. Besides the questions that we ask in order to search for conceptual understanding, there are also other types of questions that lead to qualia. As I explain in my paper, probably the qualia of red and green appeared in order to help animals spot the fruits in the trees and thus avoid death. And this situation has an ontological structure of a question, something like "How do I survive death ?", and this evolutionary question led to the generation of the red and green qualia.

4 minutes ago, Cosmin_Visan said:

Questions, as ontological entities, are something more subtle than the way in which we use the term in everyday life. Besides the questions that we ask in order to search for conceptual understanding, there are also other types of questions that lead to qualia. As I explain in my paper, probably the qualia of red and green appeared in order to help animals spot the fruits in the trees and thus avoid death. And this situation has an ontological structure of a question, something like "How do I survive death ?", and this evolutionary question led to the generation of the red and green qualia.

I can tell youre still thinking and not looking. No wonder youre confused by this forum.

Step 1.

Edited by Rilles

@Cosmin_Visan Watch yourself. You're falling into egotism and arrogance.

Your mind is tricking you.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Throw away all the answers and beliefs you have about it and become conscious of it. That’s the only way it can be known.

Edited by Arzola

On 11/24/2020 at 8:31 PM, 73809 said:

What is the substance of consciousness?

Energy in Action!