Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Frogfucius

Our Great Ape Cousins

4 posts in this topic

I like all living creatures, but I've always been most fascinated by our closing living relatives, that being the other great apes. If you take time to observe their physical freatures, it will astound your ego how similar they look and behave to us humans. Their nonverbal communication and facial expressions are easily recognizable, and they're social and enjoy touching and hugging to build bonds. Here are some of my thoughts, based on what I have read/watched:

Chimpanzees - These are like the ego-side of humans. They react strongly to their emotions, they're power and status driven, and are inherently the most curious and interactive of the great apes. They learn by mimicking others, they're efficient in tool use, and they're the only non-human hominids (as far as I know) that hunt in packs and eat meat.

Bonobos - These guys are very peaceful and calm, unlike chimps. They're highly sexually promiscuous, and solve conflicts through sex. They're not concerned with power or status, they're a female-dominated group, they're very social, and they're shown to have great empathetic capabilities compared chimps. These seem to be the benevolent side of humans.

Gorillas - These guys are really cool! They're physically very capable, but prefer a peaceful and relaxed lifestyle. They could be formidable predators, but they're strictly herbivores. My favorite animal, the group's alpha silverback gorilla, is probably the most confident creature on the planet. Every action they take seems deliberate and flows seamlessly - walking, foraging, and even just sitting down and observing. They keep to themselves and enjoy their space, but keep a close watch on everyone in the group and is quick to settle any conflict between members, and to evaluate outside threats. The beta gorillas pound their chests and put on a show, but the alpha gorillas sit calmly and don't need to put on a show to prove anything. They're strong leaders and keep everyone grounded and protected. These guys are like the yogis of the great apes.

I haven't studied orangutans yet, but I plan to! Each of these species are unique in their own ways, but it's fun to point out what part of their behaviors is similar to humans. The only difference between us and other apes is our cognitive abilities - otherwise, we're so much alike! It's sad most of us aren't in tune with that.

Edited by Frogfucius

If only other human species like Neanderthal, Erectus and Floresiensis survived until now. It would be interesting to see the moral dilemmas they would pose.

Would we treat them like people? Or would be care for them as little as we do for the great apes.