levani

how much sleep is optimal / healthy

29 posts in this topic

so many people say 7/8 hours but bulletproof says 6.5h is optimal if above 16 years or age, they also say sleeping 5 hours is healthier than 8 hours and sleeping longer than 8 is damaging

i'm 6'3, around 90-100kg / if that makes a difference

Could depend on so many factors there really isn't an answer to it. 

Maybe they say 5 hours is healthy so you keep buying their energy inducing products because you're always tired. o.O

I feel about 40-60% better after 7-8 hours sleep than a 5 hour one.  

Very individual and dependant on your genetics, environment, climate, diet, lifestyle, stress levels etc. 

Best to experiment on yourself and see what works best. There is definitely no one approach that works for everyone here. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

4-9 hours... Almost nobody can optimally get by on less than 4 hours. Almost nobody needs more than 9 hours for optimal wellness. Yeah, it's very individual. Stress, amount of meditation, and genetics play a part. Many other factors as well.  A good baseline seems to be 7-7.5 hours, but many people can do basically just as well on 4.5-6.5 hours. Some do need almost 9 -- they're rare.

2-3 hours for yogis, (0 if they are in samadhi sitting with their eyes closed 24/7), 4-5 for bogis (healthy, active people who have a strong intention to wake up for something), 6-7 average western human, more than 7 is unhealthy, I would even say more than 6 is unhealthy.

Edited by Applegarden

Just listen to your body.

I sleep 9 hours.

Albert Einstein slept for at least 10 hours.

1 hour ago, levani said:

@Applegarden i feel you here, but where is this knowledge from ? any book ?

Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev and hearing stories about yogis and some of the hindu and bhuddist monks, they don't sleep alot, because of their reduced amount of food they eat firstly. 

Sadhguru in one of his vids or maybe even inner enginnering course said - if you sleep 8 hours your whole life, you will reduce your lifespan by 20 years guaranteed.

But in my experience you cant go lower than 7 without reasonable diet.

Anyway. I have heard stories of artists who are very excited by their projects and because of that they are not able to sleep for long.

Edited by Applegarden

Maybe 5 hours 6 hours 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Just try to sleep early and wake up without an alarm. Your body knows how much sleep you need. When you sleep plays also an important role. I noticed that when i manage to sleep at 9 or 10 i wake up with more energy. According to an ayuverda book i read many years ago 10 pm - 6 am is a good sleep schedule. 

11 minutes ago, Applegarden said:

Sadhguru in one of his vids or maybe even inner enginnering course said - if you sleep 8 hours your whole life, you will reduce your lifespan by 20 years guaranteed.

Sadhguru is always full of shit.

1 hour ago, Blackhawk said:

Sadhguru is always full of shit.

Do you know how many events he has attended and how active his lifestyle is? He sleeps 3 hours usually. And eats once a day, a vegetarian meal also. Refined carbs and meats make you sleepy. Also alot of what I am saying is tested in my personal experience.

Since this is self-dev forum I kindly invite you to test these claims and sleep for 6-7 hours and notice how are you feeling.

I know I feel bad if I have slept more than 6, because of the pressure in the head region after laying horizontally too much, like there is increased blood pressure or something. That doesn't happen for me for less amount of sleep but you have to take care of the body more - yoga and diet is required to go to 6 and below. Like a really clean diet in content and eating frequency plus some form of yoga.

Now, him being full of shit. I find it interesting that you say that, does it acctually mean anything here? :D

Also, telp me why old ppl don't sleep much?

Edited by Applegarden

It varies, but for just about everybody, 4 to 9 hours... ;)

Seriously though if you're outside that range, you might want to look into changing that.

Depends, how grueling and energy consuming is your work or school week?

Experiment. Set your alarm to get exactly 8 hours of sleep one week, then the following do 7 hours a night.

See what gives you enough so that you feel good in your body.

hrhrhtewgfegege

2 hours ago, Applegarden said:

Do you know how many events he has attended and how active his lifestyle is? He sleeps 3 hours usually. And eats once a day, a vegetarian meal also. Refined carbs and meats make you sleepy. Also alot of what I am saying is tested in my personal experience.

Since this is self-dev forum I kindly invite you to test these claims and sleep for 6-7 hours and notice how are you feeling.

I know I feel bad if I have slept more than 6, because of the pressure in the head region after laying horizontally too much, like there is increased blood pressure or something. That doesn't happen for me for less amount of sleep but you have to take care of the body more - yoga and diet is required to go to 6 and below. Like a really clean diet in content and eating frequency plus some form of yoga.

Now, him being full of shit. I find it interesting that you say that, does it acctually mean anything here? :D

Also, telp me why old ppl don't sleep much?

Good for him.

I have already tried with sleeping 6-7 hours. I feel like shit if I sleep less than 8 hours.

I feel like shit if I get less than 7.5 hours. But if I perfected diet/lifestyle, maybe I could get by on less, who knows. 

These comments are surprising. According to Mathew Walker (Sleep researcher / Author) The large majority of people need 7-9 hours of sleep without severe consequences, only those with genetic mutations can get by on like 5 hours. 

But I don't know how accurate his research is or what samples/methods he used. Maybe he is wrong. 

Edited by Striving for more

@Striving for more it's all horse bro, fake science

it's not possible that a healthy human being sleeps for 1/3 of his life

even sadghuru said something like this i think if i rememver correctly

Edited by levani

@levani

15 hours ago, levani said:

@Striving for more it's all horse bro, fake science

Have you read "why we sleep" by Mathew Walker ? 

He's been researching sleep for 20 years. 

Then why do I naturally sleep 7-9 hours without an alarm ? & Presumably most people would too