Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mason Riggle

On the subject of Trying

5 posts in this topic

Presumably, in order to do something, such as 'walk to the store', we have to 'try to walk to the store'.

We might notice though, that 'trying' is also something that we do.

Is 'trying' something we do that without trying? Or do we have to try to try?

Edited by Mason Riggle

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

Yoda is right. Trying is an illusion and doesn’t exist. Trying is the effort you put towards doing, whether or not you get it done. But do you get it done, or nah? There is no try. Just do.

Do in steps if you have to.

When you say try, you assume that what you want to do it's so hard that you might fail at it because you feel a weakness to do it. When you try you talk to your head. You say either: come on man! You can do it!

Or: you know very well that you don't have a chance. You are too weak. You suck etc. 

Let's say you want to do something pleasant, play a video game or whatever. This is easy and requires no effort. Let's say you have a delicious cake in front of you and can't wait to eat it. You wouldn't say i will try to eat the cake, because it's piece of cake. 

So you have something hard that you want to do. It's normal to feel resistance doing it because we have a stupid survival mechanism to preserve energy that makes us lazy. To overcome this you need to go against this tendency to preserve energy and do the opposite. The thing you want to do needs X amount of energy. When you try to do it you need alot more energy because of the mental chatter. 

In the end i don't think that you try to try. It's just a habit of the mind to masturbate with thoughts.

Just listen to the thoughts and emotions, accept them and move the body to do the action that you know it's the best possible for the present moment. 

This is the skill i currently try to master xD