levani

question about thoughts/memories

6 posts in this topic

we all have thoughts arising sometimes, sometimes i get a memory from direct experience or from just a movie that i watched or a completely new thought when my mind wanders somewhere and i have to bring it back.

my question is what is the healthy thing to do with it, say it's a bad thought, is the right thing to reimagine it into a good thought or to let the thought go overall ? if so how

12 hours ago, levani said:

@JosephKnecht and letting go off a thought is by basically meditating right ?

Yes, that is one aspect of meditation. 

You can also let go of thoughts by giving up the payoff that thoughts have on your emotions. For example, If negative thoughts make you feel bad, realize that it was only a thought that made you feel this way and let go of feeling bad. The same would go for positive thoughts. 

If thoughts have less effect on you, then thoughts have fewer reasons to exist. Eventually, you might stop having thoughts for a few minutes, hours which is the goal of meditation practice. 

16 hours ago, levani said:

my question is what is the healthy thing to do with it, say it's a bad thought, is the right thing to reimagine it into a good thought or to let the thought go overall ? if so how

Let the thought play out as if you are the observer and it is separate from you, then it will dissipate (different than going off on a tangent with your thoughts).

Once you've let yourself observe the thoughts and emotions and let them pass without getting carried away in a negative cycle nor repressing the feelings, you can plant some seeds of positive thoughts :)

"Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it" -Rumi

@Moon can you expand on that or recommend a book about it ? or maybe Leo has a video on this ?