Guru Fat Bastard

Tilopa's Six Essential Points of Meditation

4 posts in this topic

This, is the quintessence of what it means to "simply be" or  "rest in being".
It is also the core essence of the instruction to "Allow everything to be as it is".

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

One thing Ive learned recently from a teacher named Rob Burbea is how even this position of “resting in being” or “simply be” is itself a position of the mind and ego, just as empty/full of value  as a position where we are in fact trying to control meditation in a directed way. It’s been pretty significant for my own understanding to see how letting go is itself a form of creation of the mind, just as much as intentionality. Both positions are empty of inherent truth. And to create a hierarchy out of one or the other is to misunderstand the mind. 

well considering we cannot stop thoughts or thots from entering our mind this method seems to be a bit flawed. :P

@Consilience  there's something valuable to learn around the area of control & intention vs non-control & letting be. I'm not saying I have the answers but it's worth contemplating and observing the mind when it appears we are doing these things. I often read forum posts about how free will is illusory (which seems to refer to something very much like control/intention) . Similarly, choosing a practice of letting be, intentionally fixing a time of day to have this discipline, contains paradoxes when you put it that way.  

"Both positions are empty of inherent truth." yes that's a good way of putting it, alternatively we could say that it's a false dichotomy because we haven't fully grasped the reality of the creative process which is our minds. 

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :)