Beginner Mind

Being Aware of Being Aware: Relaxing the Attention

32 posts in this topic

Rupert Spira talks about this all the time, but it really can't be overemphasized: in being aware of being aware, it is important to relax the attention.

Normally, our attention is always moving outward toward externals including thoughts and feelings.  Well, one of the major keys in being aware of being aware is allowing that attention to rest rather than moving outward towards objects.  Allow your attention to sink inwards and rest within itself.  When your attention is fully at rest, it becomes quite easy to be aware of being aware.

I should also mention, don't expect the peace or bliss of your true nature to be experienced immediately.  It takes time to emerge.  Because of this, people tend to get discouraged and mistakenly believe that they aren't being aware of being aware properly.  In reality, they are probably doing it correctly but are simply losing patience with the process before the bliss has been given a chance to reveal itself.  The peace emerges gradually over time.  Patience is required here.

I wish you all luck in being aware of being aware.  Though, if you can allow your attention to relax, you won't need any luck at all. :)

Peace, and much love to you all.

Rest in peace :)

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

3 hours ago, Shin said:

Rest in peace :)

As I see it this can be interpreted two ways: literally resting in the experience of peace, or death of the ego.  The latter hasn't happened here yet. :( 

1 minute ago, Beginner Mind said:

As I see it this can be interpreted two ways: literally resting in the experience of peace, or death of the ego.  The latter hasn't happened here yet. :( 

The former make the later a possibility :x

God is love

And God in them

3 minutes ago, Shin said:

The former make the later a possibility :x

Yes I guess you could say the ego dies a temporary death each time one rests in the experience of being aware of being aware.  But in my case it always seems to resurrect itself once meditation ends.

For some reason I find being aware of being aware to be challenging to do. It’s like a strange loop, 

5 minutes ago, 73809 said:

For some reason I find being aware of being aware to be challenging to do. It’s like a strange loop, 

As Rupert Spira has said, it's actually easier than breathing.  It's so obvious and in our face that we overlook it.

I don't want to be preachy but I'll just share two instructions that may help you:

1. Relax the attention.

2. Notice the fact that you are experiencing anything at all.

If you follow these two steps, and wait patiently for the bliss to emerge, you won't be disappointed.

25 minutes ago, 73809 said:

It is in the beginning, it will be effortless if you persevere and train 24/24 daily :)

God is love

And God in them

The difficult part is in recognizing the experience of being aware (which is actually quite easy and obvious).  In the beginning we tend to think it's some special kind of state, when in fact it's just the ordinary basic experience we all have in each moment. 

I find that it's closely linked with the visual experience.  Notice that you are having a visual experience at all.  This is noticing that you are experiencing anything at all (a.k.a. being aware of being aware).  It's so simple!  And yet I completely understand the struggles people have with it as I struggled with it myself for nine months until a fellow seeker came along and pointed me in the right direction.

I'll repeat the steps for those who are interested:

1. Relax the attention.

2. Notice the fact that you are experiencing anything at all.

And I'll add a third step:

3. Wait patiently for the peace to emerge.

1 hour ago, 73809 said:

Also too,if the two words are inquired into as to the essence of their meaning it would be:
Being Aware= Am Aware. So Being Aware means 'I' ( the empty,eternal,silent,reality) AM Aware. This is primordial,Self-known,Self-inherent knowledge. "You"(the unborn,eternal,silent,reality) don't have to be told you are aware. Non identified Self knows  it exists, and is aware ,  that it exists (i.e, it is Self knowing).

So, Being Aware of Being Aware= "I" (Self /God/Reality) AM Aware that I AM Aware. So,your true nature/essence is always Being (ie., always Existing), and is always Aware.

Another way Spira put it is to ask "Am I Aware". The question,and the ridiculously obvious answer, leads directly to Being Aware of Being Aware.

Edited by Guru Fat Bastard

25 minutes ago, Guru Fat Bastard said:

Another way Spira put it is to ask "Am I Aware". The question,and the ridiculously obvious answer, leads directly to Being Aware of Being Aware.

I personally never found that question helpful.  If you don't know the experience of being aware, then asking "Am I aware?" won't help you.  You won't know what to look for.  However, once you are able to identify the experience of being aware (i.e. noticing the fact that you are experiencing anything at all), then a question like "Am I aware?" might be more useful then.  This is just based on my experience.  Others may have different experiences with this question.

For those who are struggling with being aware of being aware and are just sick of it, I recommend an equally effective alternative:

Allow everything to be as it is.

Sit down in a comfortable position, and let go of all resistance in this moment.  Simply allow everything to be as it is.  This method is just as effective as being aware of being aware, and may actually be easier for some.

11 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@Beginner Mind

Awesome. :x

Also a nice pointing...’awareness aware of being awareness’ 

Yes, only awareness is aware of awareness.  Not something the mind can ever know.

P.S. I'm still waiting for my dream girl to manifest.  How long does this LOA thing take to work? ;)

2 full hour of walk, while being aware of being aware.

The peace is indescribable ...

10/10 would recommend !

Edited by Shin

God is love

And God in them