xxxx

Can your MBTI change, really?

66 posts in this topic

I was INTP as a teenager, ENTP at ~23 and yesterday I got ENFP.

Gotta say that this is true. As a child I was cold, perhaps even autistic and spent 12-16 hours a day playing video games. Everything had to go through logical thinking, emotions were for the weak. Best thing that could happen is that my family went to a 3 day vacation so I could spend those 3 days playing games and eating noodles. No socialization needed.

Skip to 17 years old my self-help journey begins and I start to pick up on social skills and I turn highly extoverted in around 5-6 years. I wont get depressed in isolation, but I actively seek human interaction.

Then trying to become more stage green, I turned into a feeler rather than a thinker.

Im planning on a career in sales. As an engineer the pay was shit and the work was very monotonical when it was not related to human interaction such as co-ordination.

Edited by Hansu

I really distrust the accuracy of self-typing.  If I've learned one thing from OPS, it's how difficult it is to really see oneself clearly.  According to them, and I can see this in my own life too, one's top and bottom functions are really hard to be aware of.  It's like swimming in water: hard to see what seems just "normal" and what you do all the time unconsciously.  Also they noted that people tend to often think or type themselves (not sure which exactly) the reverse of what they actually are. 

They also discovered this thing they call "jumpers", where about 50% of the people they typed had their thertiary function as their second most dominant rather than their secondary function. 

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

@Matt23 On point, its also an issue with people conflating different axes together likes spiral dynamics.

@Hansu There is an essen in you that has not changed since you where a child. Thats the MBTI. Its the part that is never changing. Got to search for that distinction to know where to draw the lines. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

10 hours ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

So I am an INTeFiJ, except I'm also pretty Fe. What I meant was that when I took the test before, I'd get INTJ. Now I get INFJ.

INTeFiJ = INTJ

Fe = "What do other people value?" 

Fi = "What do i value?"

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@Matt23 Self-typing is indeed very difficult. But I think it's still better than using an online test that doesn't take cognitive functions into consideration.

I think it's possible to self-type if you deeply understand the cognitive functions and keenly observe yourself for years

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

@integral

I regret that I haven't read on MBTI earlier. When I read about ENFP, its like someone wrote my life on a paper. This is an amazing tool! Like I always thought it was unique for me to forget everything that bores me while things that interest me, 90% of it is permanently ingrained into my brain.  Apparently, thats just normal for ENFP:s. Things like struggling with daily routines... Normal for an ENFP. Wanting an open, unscheduled and unstructured time... Its typical for and ENFP. And I thought I sucked at discipline, lol.

I need to read about all of these types. Can you suggest a good book to get me going?

Edited by Hansu

7 hours ago, integral said:

INTeFiJ = INTJ

Fi = "What do i value?"

It's actually pretty equal for me.

23 minutes ago, AtheisticNonduality said:

INTeFiJ = INTJ

Fi = "What do i value?"

Remember Te and Fe are different (I dunno if you meant that).  

Te = What works for others?

Fe = What do others value?

@Matt23 Was responding to @AtheisticNonduality, he believes to have both Fe and Fi, mixing up the INTJ and INFJ types. Can you help out making the distinctions? Might be an issue with Masculine Fe vs Feminine Fe. 

@Hansu Haha well thats the first step, after this we got to break it down more into the ENFP sub types, there are 32. lol Just got to start binging it, only way :)

https://www.objectivepersonalitysystem.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/DaveSuperPowers/videos

Edited by integral

@Hansu I think young guys mistype themselves as INTP a lot, especially with a surface understanding of MBTI. I thought I was one, but now INFP makes so much more sense (although some of my tests show Ti).

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

2 minutes ago, integral said:

Matt23 Was responding to @AtheisticNonduality, he believes to have both Fe and Fi. Can you help out making the distinctions? Might be an issue with Masculine Fe vs Feminine Fe. 

Hmm.. the first thing I thought of was that really everyone has everything.  Just perhaps in different degrees, different levels of "respect" for those functions, and different levels of awareness of those functions.   

Seeing him say he feels pretty balanced with Fe-Fi, I dunno... he might be both A) speaking about his double deciders, and B) confusing a feeling function for a thinking function.  Or just not being clear on how OPS defines Fe and Fi, etc.. 

@AtheisticNonduality  Here's some OPS definitions (from what I've gathered anyways, they might not be totally accurate). 

• Fe
    • You feel responsible for the "vibe" of the group.  
    • You are aware of what they value and how everyone is feeling etc.  
    • You maybe tend to over-empathize and might "lose" yourself in others' feelings and values.
    • You might tend to neglect your own self more (both your own values and what works for you) for the sake of others.
    • A reoccurring issue for you might be giving yourself to others too much and then not knowing who you are 
  • Fi
    • You know what you value and like in each moment.  
      • Maybe not necessarily like cognitively, but you maybe just know in a feeling sense what you want etc.
    • A reoccurring issue for you might be your tribe/friends/family, etc., saying your "selfish" and not willing to do what works for them.  
Remember, if it's your top and bottom function, you probably aren't aware of it since you're doing it automatically.  

1 hour ago, integral said:

@Matt23 Was responding to @AtheisticNonduality, he believes to have both Fe and Fi, mixing up the INTJ and INFJ types. Can you help out making the distinctions? Might be an issue with Masculine Fe vs Feminine Fe. 

@Hansu Haha well thats the first step, after this we got to break it down more into the ENFP sub types, there are 32. lol Just got to start binging it, only way :)

https://www.objectivepersonalitysystem.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/DaveSuperPowers/videos

Thanks! Been binging all evening, but it doesn't hurt to take a look at quality source ?

EDIT: And Im planning on learning them all. This in invaluable knowledge

@Carl-Richard

Yeah, could be. Especially in the modern era where you can get so addicted to videogames, that you might be introverted just because videogames take all of your time. Its easy to think you are an introvert in that case, even if you are actually an extrovert

Edited by Hansu

1 hour ago, Matt23 said:

• A reoccurring issue for you might be your tribe/friends/family, etc., saying your "selfish" and not willing to do what works for them.  

Haha tell me about it, growing up with my mom who is ESFJ. She also divorced my dad who I think is INFP as well :P

Edited by Carl-Richard

@Carl-Richard  I want to add an epistemic caveat though, saying that just because someone says something or acts in a particular way a few times doesn't mean that they are that type or have that function as their top function, etc..  Like, plenty of people call each other selfish, etc..  It's when it is a continual issue that they feel really upset with or a behavior they continually do as a larger "meta-pattern".  If you catch my drift.  

I'm also honestly not an expert on this stuff and could just be leading you more astray haha.  "Buyer beware: these maps could be faulty."

Edited by Matt23

1 minute ago, Matt23 said:

I'm also honestly not an expert on this stuff and could just be leading you more astray haha.  "Buyer beware: these maps could be faulty."

For sure. I have my qualms about the theory as well (which may also stem from pure ignorance) :) 

Actually it seems like one can play all roles to some degree

@Epikur I don't think your example accurately depicts reality.  Ya, you can "play" or act all types as to what you think they are.  Just like I can act like a psychopath in a movie or act like a 14th century monarch.  But these aren't the same as what a person is throughout their entire life.  Also, I've heard people can do all of the functions, but it's more of what one is unconsciously, repeatedly, doing and respecting throughout their entire life, rather than consciously trying to portray your representation of certain functions/types, or even deliberately working on doing more of a certain function. 

Edited by Matt23

32 minutes ago, Himanshu said:

Can your MBTI change? No.

Can you out-evolve the MBTI model? Yes.

Could you elaborate? Can you give me an example of someone -theoretical or real- who has out-evolved from MBTI model?

23 hours ago, Hansu said:

Could you elaborate? Can you give me an example of someone -theoretical or real- who has out-evolved from MBTI model?

Models only work some of the time on a majority of people. Eric Weinstein explains this extremely well in relationship to IQ models and modern education models:

Edited by Carl-Richard