Guest EmptyVase

Discovering Awesomeness

186 posts in this topic

Law of Attraction & Discipline

Since a few months the theme of discipline vs. not-forcing caught my attention.

There is inspired action, and there is motivation. Ever since I've "discovered" inspired action, I live my life more and more from that place. Instead of doing things for the sake of an outcome, I do them because I feel good about them now. That way, the process is way more enjoyable and the outcome is even better, though the outcome is secondary.

Motivation and discipline go hand in hand. You force yourself to be disciplined so that the discomfort of discipline gets outweighed by the result/"joy"/"happiness" of the motive. I don't want to reframe motivation as a bad thing because it doesn't have to be bad, and it could even be inspired. Nevertheless, there is a subtle implication that you will be happier once you get the outcome of what motivates you.

Discipline is the outcome of inspiration. From the outside, other people might perceive you as disciplined, whereas you didn't think about the word "discipline". It doesn't feel like "discipline" - that is to say, it doesn't feel forced, but it feels rather natural.

Yet, discipline is an important aspect to live a good life. If we can't get our ass up to work out, meditate, eat clean, go to bed when we are tired, etc., our life quality can drop significantly. And sometimes, we just don't feel like working out. Sometimes, we want to lay in bed, not meditate first thing in the morning, not write something in the dream journal, and "enjoy" screen-time. Can't really speak of enjoyment here, but our conditioned minds get what they want.

So when you are in that kind of mood, where you don't feel like doing it, but you know you'd do your body well if you would do it (especially on a regular basis), should you listen to the feeling or should you bite the bullet, and get yo ass up to do the thing you don't want to do? How does the Law of Attraction fit into this picture?

PS: I currently even struggle to meditate 5 minutes in the morning. Once I'm in the meditation, it's amazing and peaceful. But until I get to the point where I sit on the cushion, a lot of "discipline had to happen" first. Otherwise, I'd say "nah, fuck this", and as a result, not meditate, though it feels good once I'm meditating. When I'm inspired to meditate, I don't even hesitate one second to sit. I WANT it, my heart desires it.

PPS: I want to meditate regularly again, and I also want to bring a bit more discipline into a few other areas in my life again. But I also don't want to force anything.

What am I overlooking? @Nahm

1 hour ago, EmptyVase said:

What am I overlooking?

Nothing. If you’re inspired to do anything else, do anything else.  

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

7 minutes ago, Nahm said:

If you’re inspired to do anything else, do anything else.  

Can't really speak of inspiration if I rather check my phone than to meditate first thing in the morning. In that case, 'forcing' (it's not that bad) meditation would be motivation-based. Checking the phone ain't really inspiration-based either, it's more like laziness- or conditioning-based.

@EmptyVase

Maybe you are sort of believing you can think meditation. Trying to bring meditation ‘into the thoughts’, trying to compare it, etc. Might be time to realize this is meditation, in the same way there is no one to speak of inspiration, who has a phone, who experiences a ‘morning’, who knows what ‘force’ is, who is lazy, who is conditioned, etc. 

Might be trying to bring ambition to meditation, like it’ll get a you somewhere…?

2 hours ago, Nahm said:

Might be time to realize this is meditation, in the same way there is no one to speak of inspiration, who has a phone, who experiences a ‘morning’, who knows what ‘force’ is, who is lazy, who is conditioned, etc. 

If I'd ask you how to realize this, wouldn't you say that the practice of emptying thoughts is most helpful?

2 hours ago, Nahm said:

Might be trying to bring ambition to meditation, like it’ll get a you somewhere…?

Yes. I have no clear vision of what I want out of meditation, but there is the assumption that if I meditate daily, exercise regularly, take cold showers, keep a dream journal, I will generally feel better.

Though, when I meditate, I don't have that in mind. Meditation is just this, and for me, there is no achieving nor getting anywhere when I'm meditating. So I'm not meditating like I'm searching for something. Not at all. Actually, the duality between meditation vs. non-meditation is not even there because everything is (being). Meditation, as an activity, just makes me feel good, just as 2 liters of wine give me headaches. And I'd like to direct my life towards activities which make me feel better, and step away a bit from activities which make me feel worse - but to actually do that, I'd actually have to do that (simple, right?). But I don't do that because I don't have the discipline for it. I know I can be disciplined if I really want to, but I'm also cautious with forcing things.

If I would give myself advice, I'd say stop talking and just do it. But I don't do it.

May I ask you a few general questions on the LoA? @Nahm

What exactly is going on from the LoA perspective, when things catch us off guard?

Certainly it must be something which we are carrying within our vibration. I could imagine that unconsciously held beliefs, which were not illuminated yet, play a big role when unexpected things happen. Perhaps it's an expectation which we are not even aware of, thus, it is striking us as 'unexpected'. I could imagine that the same principles apply, when sweet surprises happen.

And also, what is going on when one really firmly expects "A" to happen, but then "B" occurs? Is this even possible? I feel like the LoA leaves no room for 'unexpected' or 'random' things to happen, otherwise it wouldn't be a law.

Thank you!

Edited by EmptyVase

What exactly is going on from the LoA perspective, when things catch us off guard?

What is meant by things?

And also, what is going on when one really firmly expects "A" to happen, but then "B" occurs?

The experience of an expectation, and how it compares to actuality or in the loa what manifests. But, I always suggest in all circumstances, meditation, psychedelics, life purpose, career, relationships, family, etc - let go of expectations. Also, I like being part of the forum, and I love the community. It’s a weird paradox perhaps, in a world lead by doership, things like let your expectations go is colored as the push back, or one pushing back. It’s funny if you get what I’m sayin here. (For sake of clarity, the situation or predicament could be seen as funny, I am not at all saying the suffering this creates is funny.)

15 hours ago, Nahm said:

What is meant by things?

Well, things like not passing the exam, though your focus was wholly on passing it. Or receiving a gift from a stranger. Or getting smacked in the face out of nowhere. Or getting a raise. Things or situations which come into our experience.

15 hours ago, Nahm said:

The experience of an expectation, and how it compares to actuality or in the loa what manifests. But, I always suggest in all circumstances, meditation, psychedelics, life purpose, career, relationships, family, etc - let go of expectations.

But isn't one of the core teachings of the LoA to expect/believe that certain things will be happening?

I could see for myself now that the LoA works (and also that you need to let go of expectations), but the mechanics are still very mysterious to me. It's a slippery slope between knowing, not-knowing, belief, feeling, thinking, receiving yet co-creating. Is the LoA a big phat paradox? Maybe it can only be paradoxical because there have to be two poles of one magnet to attract another magnet?

15 hours ago, Nahm said:

Also, I like being part of the forum, and I love the community. It’s a weird paradox perhaps, in a world lead by doership, things like let your expectations go is colored as the push back, or one pushing back. It’s funny if you get what I’m sayin here. (For sake of clarity, the situation or predicament could be seen as funny, I am not at all saying the suffering this creates is funny.)

Not sure what you're saying here. How does this relate to the forum and the community? I think I get the "in a world lead by doership" part, though.

2 hours ago, EmptyVase said:

Well, things like not passing the exam, though your focus was wholly on passing it. Or receiving a gift from a stranger. Or getting smacked in the face out of nowhere. Or getting a raise. Things or situations which come into our experience.

But isn't one of the core teachings of the LoA to expect/believe that certain things will be happening?

What if you didn’t expect anything? It might sounds nuts but what if the ideal experience is actually not having passed, receiving a gift, getting smacked, and getting a raise? A way to word it, what if what you really want is unfolding… but you’re thinking ‘this ain’t it’? If ‘this’ is it, what’s learned? Something else to consider… is this what happened, or is this what happened to me? 

I could see for myself now that the LoA works (and also that you need to let go of expectations), but the mechanics are still very mysterious to me. It's a slippery slope between knowing, not-knowing, belief, feeling, thinking, receiving yet co-creating. Is the LoA a big phat paradox? Maybe it can only be paradoxical because there have to be two poles of one magnet to attract another magnet?

Not sure what you're saying here. How does this relate to the forum and the community? I think I get the "in a world lead by doership" part, though.

It’s not that the mechanics are mysterious, it’s that there aren’t any mechanics. Which seems mysterious but isn’t, and seems sofa king awesome because it is. Likewise, there seems to be paradox but isn’t actually. 

The world led by doership is basically saying I’m going to seem crazy and unintelligible, but this is only because I am crazy & unintelligible, and careful with expecting anything else. 

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

What if you didn’t expect anything?

But isn't wanting and expecting connected? What if I want a job, but never expect to get one? Hold on.. that might be an expectancy too.

Could it be that the feeling of what I (whatever that is) want is in the vibrational vortex (thus unfolding right now), whereas expecting something is at the level of thought?

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

A way to word it, what if what you really want is unfolding… but you’re thinking ‘this ain’t it’? If ‘this’ is it, what’s learned?

If 'this' is it, then 'this' is what I want, but I don't know that I want it.

Reminds me a bit of my depression. It was kind of a mindfuck to realize that I was in a depression because I wanted to feel like dogshit. I didn't want to feel better (though I thought that I want to feel better - but really, when anything which would make me feel better came my way, I rejected it).

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

Something else to consider… is this what happened, or is this what happened to me? 

Can't really separate what's happening from the observer, right?

There might not be an objective "this happened", without someone to experience it. But I don't know.

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

It’s not that the mechanics are mysterious, it’s that there aren’t any mechanics.

Why do they call it a law, then?

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

Which seems mysterious but isn’t, and seems sofa king awesome because it is. Likewise, there seems to be paradox but isn’t actually.

Lol, this reminds me of my first glimpse of truth. It's so simple!!!

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

The world led by doership is basically saying I’m going to seem crazy and unintelligible, but this is only because I am crazy & unintelligible, and careful with expecting anything else. 

I gotta admit, sometimes you are pretty damn unintelligible.. just as the universe. xD

29 minutes ago, EmptyVase said:

But isn't wanting and expecting connected? What if I want a job, but never expect to get one? Hold on.. that might be an expectancy too.

Wanting arises. Can’t do it if ya tried. Expecting is a pinch different and brings duality or thought into the mix. In the surrender sense, whatever source has cooked up is better than anything you could ever conceive and thus expect to happen. But don’t expect that either lol. 

Could it be that the feeling of what I (whatever that is) want is in the vibrational vortex (thus unfolding right now), whereas expecting something is at the level of thought?

Yep. 

If 'this' is it, then 'this' is what I want, but I don't know that I want it.

Well it’s only a matter of time before you do. 

Can't really separate what's happening from the observer, right?

Right. Can only seem so via thought attachment. 

There might not be an objective "this happened", without someone to experience it. But I don't know.

Look for subtleties. Happened implies a past, which implies a separate self in linear time. (Someone to experience an it). 

Why do they call it a law, then?

Because it is actual wether anyone believes it, get’s it or gives it any attention at all. 

Lol, this reminds me of my first glimpse of truth. It's so simple!!!

I gotta admit, sometimes you are pretty damn unintelligible.. just as the universe. xD

Probably. Idk. 

3 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Wanting arises. Can’t do it if ya tried.

My god, you're right. Wanting arises, just as thoughts do. I can't think thoughts. Wait.. I can't think thoughts? If I try to think a thought, it's only a thought of me trying to think a thought. I can't "do" thoughts on purpose. Is there even anyone thinking, or is that a thought too? C'mon awareness, do something..

11 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Look for subtleties. Happened implies a past, which implies a separate self in linear time. (Someone to experience an it).

It's the subtleties which often get overlooked, which make reality seem solid, right? I noticed many times over and over again, that it's actually fluid.

I will keep an eye on subtle implications from now on. Place/space in which the separate self is located might be another implication.

15 minutes ago, Nahm said:

Because it is actual wether anyone believes it, get’s it or gives it any attention at all.

I feel like a profound shift is taking place. Above I quoted "Wanting arises.". Had the same feeling when I read that. Have the same feeling as I'm reading this quote right here. The only word which comes to my mind right now is "pointer". I mean, I kinda already understood pointers. I don't know, I can't explain this feeling. I get the profound sense that spiritual teachings are nothing but merely pointers. I mean, of course they are, but I thought they were more than "just" that. I mean, in the last five minutes nothing really happened, no profound shift in consciousness, whatsoever. Still, a powerful feeling of "oh boy" is arising. 

5rrtw4.jpg

9 hours ago, Nahm said:

is this what happened, or is this what happened to me? 

I wanted to add, and think about the bigger and bigger picture. Feel into the bigger and bigger picture. Like with the exam, think of the system behind the scoring, why it was created, what the point or ideal purpose of it is, how it (more or less) leans toward and or ends up serving the overall, etc. Compare the thoughts… doesn’t feel good if you’re the one that failed the exam… and …totally makes sense and feels great if you’re the universe. Could failure still be failure, if it didn’t happen to anyone? 

14 hours ago, Nahm said:

Sounds like nothing’s clickin perfectly. xD

New video today.  

Nope, I don't really get it yet. Somehow, I can tune in to the LoA, but I don't really understand how I do it (or if anyone's doing anything). I want the know-how, but from what you write, it seems there is no how.

I already watched the video yesterday, but I think I will watch it once more, and give myself some time to digest what's being said.

Best one yet. Clarifies a lot of misunderstanding and comes just at the right time. And btw.. the intonation is on point. xD

10 hours ago, Nahm said:

I wanted to add, and think about the bigger and bigger picture. Feel into the bigger and bigger picture. Like with the exam, think of the system behind the scoring, why it was created, what the point or ideal purpose of it is, how it (more or less) leans toward and or ends up serving the overall, etc. Compare the thoughts… doesn’t feel good if you’re the one that failed the exam… and …totally makes sense and feels great if you’re the universe.

Just to be clear, none of the things I mentioned (failed exams, getting smacked, gifts) happened to me. My point was trying to understand how wanting and expecting generally influence each other, and how it fits with the LoA perspective.

With that being said, I think a lot of seeds have been planted with this conversation, which I'm very thankful for.

10 hours ago, Nahm said:

Feel into the bigger and bigger picture.

My boss wants me to work this weekend. I first held the perspective, "Man, if I gotta work this weekend, I can't go to all the Halloween parties and have fun.". That perspective obviously felt bad. Then I thought about the bigger picture and how I want to go about my life. Then I recognized the inherent goodness of the work we're doing the coming weekend. A part of Germany was hit really bad by storms. Basically, whole villages were torn apart. I mean, I just gotta be the camera man for the weekend, so in that way, I'm really not helping with anything. But my boss worked like a crazy mf to help the now-homeless people there. And I'm, in turn, supporting my boss through filming reports, taking pictures, and whatever else needs to be done that weekend. As I felt into that perspective, I felt a sense of relief, almost a sense of "Man, fuck these stupid Halloween parties, the people there need help". As time passes, I'm more and more looking forward to this weekend. I don't think I have to ask because I know it's the way to go.. but that's the way to go with feeling into the bigger and bigger picture, right?

10 hours ago, Nahm said:

Could failure still be failure, if it didn’t happen to anyone?

I'd say that failure is only failure in the eyes of the beholder.

Nope, I don't really get it yet. Somehow, I can tune in to the LoA, but I don't really understand how I do it (or if anyone's doing anything). I want the know-how, but from what you write, it seems there is no how.

I already watched the video yesterday, but I think I will watch it once more, and give myself some time to digest what's being said.

Best one yet. Clarifies a lot of misunderstanding and comes just at the right time. And btw.. the intonation is on point. xD

Thanks! The answer to the how is you. Which is the same as saying there’s no ‘answer’, you’re sofa king awesome. Loa is vibrational, not dualistic thoughts. Wanna see for yourself ‘in the flesh’ how awesome you are? Focus on what’s desired, let go of thoughts about lack, shortages, can’ts, doubt, etc - this is conscious focus, and this is not ‘thinking’. 

Just to be clear, none of the things I mentioned (failed exams, getting smacked, gifts) happened to me. My point was trying to understand how wanting and expecting generally influence each other, and how it fits with the LoA perspective.

With that being said, I think a lot of seeds have been planted with this conversation, which I'm very thankful for.

Thanks, me too. With or without focus, wanting arises. Expectation is thought, which of course also arise, but must be focused on and believed for it to seem true. 

My boss wants me to work this weekend. I first held the perspective, "Man, if I gotta work this weekend, I can't go to all the Halloween parties and have fun.". That perspective obviously felt bad. Then I thought about the bigger picture and how I want to go about my life. Then I recognized the inherent goodness of the work we're doing the coming weekend. A part of Germany was hit really bad by storms. Basically, whole villages were torn apart. I mean, I just gotta be the camera man for the weekend, so in that way, I'm really not helping with anything. But my boss worked like a crazy mf to help the now-homeless people there. And I'm, in turn, supporting my boss through filming reports, taking pictures, and whatever else needs to be done that weekend. As I felt into that perspective, I felt a sense of relief, almost a sense of "Man, fuck these stupid Halloween parties, the people there need help". As time passes, I'm more and more looking forward to this weekend. I don't think I have to ask because I know it's the way to go.. but that's the way to go with feeling into the bigger and bigger picture, right?

Yes, awesome. Maybe you could even go to the parties after work, idk. Also, you are totally helping by being the camera man. Inspect that as well… what’s the thinking, the point or purpose of the filming? It’s not like it’s going to be recorded and then the footage thrown in a river. :)

I'd say that failure is only failure in the eyes of the beholder.

?

On 26.10.2021 at 4:47 PM, Nahm said:

Thanks! The answer to the how is you. Which is the same as saying there’s no ‘answer’, you’re sofa king awesome. Loa is vibrational, not dualistic thoughts. Wanna see for yourself ‘in the flesh’ how awesome you are? Focus on what’s desired, let go of thoughts about lack, shortages, can’ts, doubt, etc - this is conscious focus, and this is not ‘thinking’. 

The answer is me.. interesting. Inter-resting. Rest within, and all the answers will be illuminated, as questions burn away.

I'm almost getting overwhelmed by the dreamboard. Life got busy really quick since using the board, there's so much to do, yet so little time. It's amazing to have a rich, active life. Just talked with my best friend about it yesterday. We both are living a really multi-facetted life, from one appointment/activity to the next. The downside of it is that we are so 'caught up' in all those different activities that only little 'me-time' remains, and this needs balance too. Time is so precious. There's only so much you can do.

With or without focus, wanting arises. Expectation is thought, which of course also arise, but must be focused on and believed for it to seem true.

This distinction is helpful. 

Wanting or desire starts to sound like something which is deeper than it seems. It's almost the source of what we focus on, knowingly or unknowingly.

Yes, awesome. Maybe you could even go to the parties after work, idk.

Not possible, I'm more or less constantly at work from friday to saturday night. I mean, if I were really motivated, I could still party after that - but I'll pass. As time moved on, I realized that the resistance to work on the weekend was driven a lot by my remaining fear of missing out. Tha kfully, that fear untangles naturally.

Also, you are totally helping by being the camera man. Inspect that as well… what’s the thinking, the point or purpose of the filming? It’s not like it’s going to be recorded and then the footage thrown in a river. :)

??

Just now, Nahm said:

Love that. :)

Schedule a retreat! 

Yeah man, that's way overdue. Thanks for the reminder! :)