Mosess

Is it possible to live without an ego?

37 posts in this topic

So what you call "Your" Body would be doing shit on its own. Its not you that is controlling it, its controlling itself. I do not have a personality, which was one of my biggest fears a year ago. My question is, how can I survive in society and have ambitions without having/developing a personality or in other words an ego? Is it possible? Or should i reach whatever goals i currently have first then kill the I that reached it? how does it work lol

It will be harder to function without an ego but it is possible to function without an ego, but some enlightened masters choose to stay silent and away from society,  others teach

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

If by ego you mean personality, no not possible to function without it. If by ego you mean I, you're already functioning without that.

The ego or sense of self is just the misidentification as the body and its conditioning.

There already ISN'T a 'you' or sense of self in the body.... that's the illusion or Maya illusion of the self.

So it's ALREADY the case, it's just not recognized there yet.

So in that sense there's not really anything that really needs to happen.

There's no exact Rhyme or Reason how or why this is recognized, sometimes it just is.

Watch the thoughts and notice the identification and reactions.

Message_1561500864554.jpg

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

Still the best spiritual book, still not on Leo's book list.

???

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@VeganAwake From what book is this?☺

- Pseudo-dionysius 

16 minutes ago, Adamq8 said:

@VeganAwake From what book is this?☺

The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.

It's too mainstream for Leo, so it's bad.

Cause fuck logic ?

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

The absolute best kind of awakening is the kind that absolutely no one wants.

1 hour ago, VeganAwake said:

The ego or sense of self is just the misidentification as the body and its conditioning.

There already ISN'T a 'you' or sense of self in the body.... that's the illusion or Maya illusion of the self.

So it's ALREADY the case, it's just not recognized there yet.

So in that sense there's not really anything that really needs to happen.

There's no exact Rhyme or Reason how or why this is recognized, sometimes it just is.

Watch the thoughts and notice the identification and reactions.

Message_1561500864554.jpg

@VeganAwake In regards to something I saw in the quotes in the picture you posted... There is a contradiction there. We are being pointed to being beyond the thinker yes, good. I would agree with that. Everything temporary is not you, yes, again, that is good and true. The fuck up is where the person writing this says to watch the thinker. It says, the thinker is not you. So I say, so it doesn't exist. But then they say, watch the thinker. Why would you give two shits about watching the thinker, if there is none?

- In reply to your question Moses I would say you can't live without an ego, for now.

32 minutes ago, Hotaka said:

The fuck up is where the person writing this says to watch the thinker. It says, the thinker is not you. So I say, so it doesn't exist. But then they say, watch the thinker. Why would you give two shits about watching the thinker, if there is none?

Exactly no one gives two shits.... it's only a thought that gives shits.

No need to identify as the shit hole.

Edited by VeganAwake

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

16 minutes ago, VeganAwake said:

Exactly no one gives two shits.... it's only a thought that gives shits.

No need to identify as the shit hole.

thoughts don't give  a shit. 

30 minutes ago, Claymoree said:

thoughts don't give  a shit. 

Exactly, the s*** is an illusion

@Shin Thanks bro ?

- Pseudo-dionysius 

@Mosess

Without ego, none of these concerns could exist.

Concerns = fear = ego

"In other words, go jump off a cliff. Don’t go near the cliff and contemplate jumping off. Don’t read a book about jumping off. Don’t study the art and science of jumping off. Don’t join a support group for jumping off. Don’t write poems about jumping off. Don’t kiss the ass of someone else who jumped off. Just jump." -- Jed McKenna, Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damnedest Thing 

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

8 hours ago, Mosess said:

Is it possible?

If the ego is defined as a fictional sense of self, then you are already living without one.

Just now, Gesundheit said:

@Mosess

Without ego, none of these concerns could exist.

Concerns = fear = ego

"In other words, go jump off a cliff. Don’t go near the cliff and contemplate jumping off. Don’t read a book about jumping off. Don’t study the art and science of jumping off. Don’t join a support group for jumping off. Don’t write poems about jumping off. Don’t kiss the ass of someone else who jumped off. Just jump." -- Jed McKenna, Spiritual Enlightenment: The Damnedest Thing 

Yes, i understand.

But isn't it wiser to fulfill basic needs such as being financially independent, having a passionate career and all that shit before jumping off/going for enlightenment?

Just now, No Self said:

If the ego is defined as a fictional sense of self, then you are already living without one.

I'm currently living with the illusion of having one which i know is an illusion. Should i keep living with the illusion of the ego for the sake of survival and then willingly die/awaken after reaching whatever the fuck i wanted to reach? 

Just now, Mosess said:

I'm currently living with the illusion of having one which i know is an illusion. Should i keep living with the illusion of the ego for the sake of survival and then willingly die/awaken after reaching whatever the fuck i wanted to reach? 

If you are having a good time, the question of your true nature can certainly be postponed. This is why few people who have not suffered seek a spiritual path.

If not, don't let thoughts of survival stop you. Just as an example, if you are doing whatever work you have to do, is there anything stopping you from simultaneously being meditative? I have been known to listen to an Eckhart Tolle audiobook on repeat while driving. It very slowly dissolves the ego.

The mind is portraying enlightenment as something separate from you, or an achievement alongside career success, etc. Just know that it's never what you think it is. :) It's something that is here and now, perhaps seeming to be hidden.

4 minutes ago, Mosess said:

Yes, i understand.

Sorry but I don't think you do.

11 minutes ago, Mosess said:

But isn't it wiser to fulfill basic needs such as being financially independent, having a passionate career and all that shit before jumping off/going for enlightenment?

What's the point? You're gonna die eventually anyway. So, it definitely has nothing to do with wisdom, and everything to do with desire, fear, pride, and attachment, etc... aka ego.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Just now, Gesundheit said:

Sorry but I don't think you do.

What's the point? You're gonna die eventually anyway. So, it definitely has nothing to do with wisdom, and everything to do with desire, fear, pride, and attachment, etc... aka ego.

so your saying it is better to drop everything and go full on enlightenment now?