Leo Nordin

If you were to live like Buddha, would your survival somehow be taken care of?

45 posts in this topic

If someone had awakened and is now living boundlessly such as a Buddha. Without working for money but living for people and the world, would his survival be taken care of within little time? What if he didn't involve himself with people, but mostly observed and explored the world. What about survival then, would it somehow be taken care of? 

I met a guy who had been traveling for 10 years without money around the world. I met him in canary islands , he was in a boat of some people who met there few days ago ready to cross to Dakar, his plans was go alone from West to East Africa, and after return to his house in France, all walking or auto stop. He had only 300 € , no phone and no cards, he told me he was looking forward when he d have zero money, to feel more freedom. I didn't asked him about spirituality because in that moment I didn't know that spirituality exist, but sure he was like enlightened , he was the most calm and peaceful person that I ever know

Edited by Breakingthewall

@Leo Nordin If you're worried about that question, then you ain't a Buddha.

The whole point of a Buddha is that he don't give a fuck if he dies tomorrow because his enlightenment already killed him.

Why would survival be automatically taken care of? What fantasy world are you living in? If the Buddha does not brush his teeth, his teeth will fall out.

The only way to escape survival is to stop caring about it. But that does not at all guarantee you will survive. But luckily if you did part 1, you no longer care about part 2.

Enlightenment is radical stuff.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

The universe already takes care of you in more important profound ways than your mind can ever grasp. Kind fo like you don't think about every breath or your organs functioning. Working is how most people's survival gets taken care of. The means makes no difference, but a lot of them think they are working and are responsible for taking care of themselves and feel the weight of that. 

You can only become conscious of what's already occurring. Then circumstances may naturally change, or not. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

The Buddha was not some random hobo begging for food.
He was immensely valuable to people around him, so of course his needs were taken care of.

Transcendence of survival is inclusive of survival.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

1 minute ago, tsuki said:

The Buddha was not some random hobo begging for food.
He was immensely valuable to people around him, so of course his needs were taken care of.

Buda is only an idea, there ve been many thousands of budas, many millons since the human kind exist, glorify him like he was immensely valuable for the people around is meaningless. Buda mean trascend the ego, have no attachment. Nothing so special

17 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

Buda is only an idea, there ve been many thousands of budas, many millons since the human kind exist, glorify him like he was immensely valuable for the people around is meaningless. Buda mean trascend the ego, have no attachment. Nothing so special

You act as though I say you are not a Buddha, and by so doing you are humiliating yourself.

The man you spoke of seemed plenty capable of taking care of himself. That was probably why he took off in the first place.

Edited by tsuki

Bearing with the conditioned in gentleness, fording the river with resolution, not neglecting what is distant, not regarding one's companions; thus one may manage to walk in the middle. H11L2

@tsuki what are you talking about? Humiliating because I'm not buda? Maybe we are speaking in a different language or my English is too poor. I wanted to express the idea that glorify Buda is nonsense, Buda is common, possible, not so special. It's only detach the bondages and trascend the ego. But I'm not Buda, not even close

Just now, Breakingthewall said:

@tsuki what are you talking about? Humiliating because I'm not buda? Maybe we are speaking in a different language or my English is too poor. I wanted to express the idea that glorify Buda is nonsense, Buda is common, possible, not so special. It's only detach the bondages and trascend the ego. But I'm not Buda, not even close

Alright, I got that part. Have a good day.

The Buddha already lived in a culture in ancient India where homeless ascetics were an accepted part of life, and ordinary working people supported them, that's why (in the story) a woman gave him a meal when he decided to pursue the middle way and give up starving himself voluntarily. Then he went on to create a monastic community (Sangha) - with support from the royal families - and made rules that the monks & nuns aren't allowed to handle money and grow their own food, but go begging from the lay community. This is still how many Buddhist monks & nuns live today in the far East, especially Theravadins, but in the West (also presumably other non-Buddhist areas), they have to make arrangements so there's lay people around to give them a roof over their heads, food to eat etc. 

I guess there are some folks who can live on their wits without much money & other forms of plugging into civilisation but most of us have never learned how to, the capitalist system would hate that :) 

Edited by snowyowl

Relax, it's just my loosely held opinion.  :) 

Begging for food is a full-time job. Might as well just grow your own food at that point.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Leo Nordin survival is to stop caring about it. But that does not at all guarantee you will survive. But luckily if you did part 1, you no longer care about part 2.

@Leo Gura Well if you don´t go beg for food you will literally die. So basically what you are saying is that Buddhas either they starve to death or they are homeless.

If a Buddha keeps a full-time job, maybe he is not so enlightened. (Unless of course his job is something very passionate which brings him joy)  Why the effort of mainteining a job? He should be sitting peacefully meditating not caring if somebody will put a plate of food near him or not. 

Edited by Javfly33

The Buddha came back because he loved others and wanted to help them. He fully devoted himself to that dharma. That doesn't mean every Buddha is the same. There are Buddhas, here and now, engaged in the world of doing. Not every Buddha sits in a cave and starves.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

I thought Buddha was born in a royal family :S

You have been gifted the Golden Kappa~! 

18 minutes ago, Thewritersunion said:

I thought Buddha was born in a royal family :S

He was a prince who chose to become a pauper in order to become a teacher.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

1 hour ago, Moksha said:

The Buddha came back because he loved others and wanted to help them. He fully devoted himself to that dharma. That doesn't mean every Buddha is the same. There are Buddhas, here and now, engaged in the world of doing. Not every Buddha sits in a cave and starves.

Right. What I think its that there´s about 90% of people who say they are awake and enlightened and in reality they are just BS. 

For starters if you would be really awake you realize there are no others so it´s kind of playing a dumb game with yourself by "helping others".

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Why would survival be automatically taken care of? What fantasy world are you living in?

Good point that is not emphasised enough. Words such as fantasy, imaginary, dream and illusion carry a lot of baggage.

29 minutes ago, Moksha said:

He was a prince who chose to become a pauper in order to become a teacher.

It is not established that that was intentional, or the reason for leaving a princely lifestyle plus wife and kid behind. But all we have to go on are a load of stories. He offered enough of value to ensure sufficient provision to meet his essential survival requirements which when you think about it are pretty few especially if one lives in a climate  present in much of India. 

Edited by Corpus

@Javfly33 The ego loves posing as a Buddha, and yes there a lot of BS Buddhas. If you think you are a Buddha, let go of that thought, and be a Buddha xD

Consciousness creates things for a reason. The Buddha taught others because Consciousness wanted that. He knew that everything is a dream, but Consciousness still loves to dream. Probably more than anything else, it loves waking up to itself within the dream, and teachers help that happen.

@Corpus In The Dhammapada, Siddhartha made an intentional choice. He realized impermanence, and decided to discover permanence. It feels right, but every story is only a pointer anyway.