Mada_

Difficult to find time for The Work (of Byron Katie)

7 posts in this topic

I have attempted to do The Work of Byron Katie in the past. I saw some really awesome results, and once paired it with LSD and saw amazing potential for magnifying love. 

My main issue was that it would take me like 3 hours to do a worksheet. This would be fine, but I have this idea that a self help habit just be done everyday to be successful. Is this a limiting belief? I've tried to spend entire days doing the process, but I've just crapped out and gone to binge eating (ego backlash).

Would it be okay to do the same worksheet, for the time span of an hour a day, and hour and a half maybe more? What if one worksheet was inquired over a few days? 

I think the worksheet is meant to guide beginners using the method. Once you've done the worksheet a few times, you can start to apply Katie's principles in all situations. Just memorize the questions. Every time you feel your ego creeping up (i.e., you having a negative thought), be aware of that and just start asking the questions to yourself on the spot. 

Three hours is too much time to spend on this. I recommend doing the work in ordinary life instead, using real examples on the fly. Good luck!

@Mada_

I would be more flexible in terms of how long or how often you should do The Work. Do it as much as is helpful and you can reasonably finish.

1 hour ago, modmyth said:

@Mada_  Why do you feel like you'd need to do it everyday? How many grudges or issues do you have with people? :ph34r:

Lol, now that you mention it, a lot of people. 

1 hour ago, modmyth said:

Personally, when I did those worksheets, I preferred being very thorough (however long that takes) vs. multiple sessions of digging-in, although sometimes I would do both anyway. The act of opening up was very tiring at times, as in, not something that I could casually space out that easily.

Did this take you a few hours? 

Thanks for your reply

11 hours ago, WonderSeeker said:

I think the worksheet is meant to guide beginners using the method. Once you've done the worksheet a few times, you can start to apply Katie's principles in all situations. Just memorize the questions. Every time you feel your ego creeping up (i.e., you having a negative thought), be aware of that and just start asking the questions to yourself on the spot. 

Three hours is too much time to spend on this. I recommend doing the work in ordinary life instead, using real examples on the fly. Good luck!

Thankyou for your reply. 

When I say "the worksheet", I'm talking about the series of inquiry prompts that she outlines in her book "loving what is", which is the same as her worksheet. She also has other variations of her worksheet. 

Katie advises against doing The Work in the mind, she says that if you only do the work in the mind, the mind can distort stories and choose as outcome rather than realizing deeper truth. 

-

Doing the Work in the mind is apart of the vision of The Work. After becoming an advanced practitioner, the mind does the process subconsciously. 

Her work mostly focused on detaching from your thoughts.

There are however other things to do though. Like focusing on your goals in life.