GroovyGuru

Unsure how to turn my strengths and values into marketable skills

8 posts in this topic

I've bought the LP course by the way, haven't finished quite yet but I'm pretty close. I've been very distracted and busy lately with my first full-time job after college.

Anyway, at this point I definitely know what my top values are. I also know what some of my top strengths are. For example, I would say that both my top strength and value are quite similar, being knowledge/understanding and love of learning and curiosity in the world, respectively. Basically any time I have nothing to do or worry about, I'm learning and reading about SOMETHING. I just love gaining a very broad understanding of as much of reality as I can. Politics, history, philosophy, art, business, personal finance, science, spirituality, self-help, music...literally anything that will make me a more knowledgeable human being in every domain I find important and valuable.

However, lately I feel like I've been stuck in this loop of trying to figure out how to actually manifest a tangible project or career or LP based on my strengths and values. It almost seems like my life purpose is to figure out my life purpose. I just can't seem to find a specific domain where I can gain real skills to offer because I kind of hate the whole idea of committing my life to such a narrow thing. I want to learn everything!

I'm not necessarily asking for an answer to what I should do because I fully realize that ultimately it's up to me to introspect and figure out. However, I also realize that to actually enable myself to escape wage slavery and build the independent lifestyle I want for myself (freedom being a HUGE value of mine), I need to develop REAL marketable skills. That's what I'm struggling with. In some ways I just don't see how a love of learning and curiosity in the world is actually a strength that would offer value to anybody but myself. Again, I know it's for me to figure out, I don't want any super specific answers, just maybe some general advice. Do I need to literally just PICK A REAL SKILL and start my journey on mastering it?

Maybe I just need to finish the course, lol.

Edited by GroovyGuru

Love of learning can be a trap if you aren't careful. Some people end up being "career students" and get a dozen degrees but never give anything back. Or you can watch 6 hours of Youtube a day and absorb information like a sponge, but never put it to practical use.

Love of Learning is one of my signature strengths too. For me, the logical way to turn abstract knowledge into a life purpose is by teaching what you learn. Especially if contribution or something similar is one of your top values.

My life purpose is "Summarizing information in an easy-to-digest format and empowering people to pursue their dreams." My ideal medium is writing, especially blogs and articles. For you it might just be making vlogs on Youtube about all the cool new stuff that you're learning. Or creating your own online courses. Maybe you summarize entire books into 5 minute videos for people.

Don't just hoard your knowledge, let it shine. Ideally pick one of the topics you've listed that most interests you and go really deep into it, as opposed to trying to cover everything.

download.jpg

To achieve this you will need to learn a bunch of new skills along the way. Like how to make a website, or edit a Youtube video, or marketing. But it shouldn't be too hard for someone who loves learning ;)

Edited by Yarco

@Yarco Yes, I actually feel that it's becoming a trap and I'm becoming very concerned! I love learning but I can clearly see now that if I don't actually do anything with the knowledge I gain I'm not going to progress anywhere.

And actually, the gut feeling that continues to come back to me is to do exactly what you mentioned; to focus on one or two areas of the topics I mentioned and find a medium to break things down in a digestible and fun way. In fact, I even dipped my toes into that already. I started a YouTube channel with an initial plan of literally going through the entirety of philosophy, covering every major philosopher to have ever lived and break down their core ideas into fun, 5 minute animation videos. I will link to one I made that you can check out. 

It's not great, but I actually really enjoyed the process of making it. However, like very often I've done in my life, I keep quitting. Maybe I just have to give it a shot and stick to it. 

@GroovyGuru

Check your shadow. Do you not want to commit to something out of fear? If so, what might that fear be?

I ask because it's a common trap people fall into.

If you like to learn, what's wrong with learning skills? Skills will always be necessary, wage slavery or not.

@aurum I'd say fear definitely plays a part. Mostly I think a fear that I will not enjoy what I commit myself to. I've already made this mistake in university where I studied finance and really didn't take it seriously or enjoy it, although I got great grades and it has now led me to a decent entry-level job.

Also, when I think of some of the most marketable and useful skills out there such as web development, coding, graphic design, photography or whatever else, the majority of these just simply don't get me excited. That's why I'm wondering if I'm being too romantic and dreamy about the situation and maybe just need to pick something and go for it.

Tons of practical possibilities here: researcher, scholar, teacher, philosopher, author, historian, academic, research assistant, podcaster, interviewer, youtuber, public speaker, public intellectual, etc.

Not so hard to see practical ways of utilizing your strength.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

19 hours ago, GroovyGuru said:

That's why I'm wondering if I'm being too romantic and dreamy about the situation and maybe just need to pick something and go for it.

It's a good question, I don't really have an answer for you.

It sounds like your job is already covering your financial needs though. Why not then continue to explore your interests and see where it leads?