GreenWoods

Sleep Yoga: Conscious During Sleep (Guide)

96 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2021 at 6:03 PM, itachi uchiha said:

@GreenWoods does this yoga reduce sleep to 4 hours

No.

But once you mastered sleep yoga, you could regard sleep as meditation. 

Hi, Greenwoods. Firstly, thank you for such an epic thread! I'll be taking yet more notes this week :x

In the year and a half it's been, were you able to work up to stage 7: able to remain conscious the whole night or have you lost interest in reaching this stage since then?

Thanks again, and I hope you had a good Easter, my friend :)

@softlyblossoming Hey man!

12 hours ago, softlyblossoming said:

In the year and a half it's been, were you able to work up to stage 7: able to remain conscious the whole night or have you lost interest in reaching this stage since then?

I wish.

I'm still at stage 1 or 2 LMAO.

...Depending on how you define "body asleep". If I were observed in a labratory, I'm sure the state I reach would be considered light sleep.

But I personally consider "body asleep" to mean that my body is either sleep paralysed, having vibrations or the body sensations are extremely faded and I'm already partly in the void. None of that yet though. 

I'm still very interested in reaching stage 7!

Edited by GreenWoods

Last summer my focus was on transmissions and then up to the beginning of this year on invocations

I was doing some sleep yoga practice but not seriously most of the time. Now I'm fully focused on sleep yoga. 

Slow progress has been due to:

• I was probably less naturally talented (starting position) in sleep yoga / WILD lucid dreaming than the average person 
  • ineffecient approach
  • my stupidity and lack of enough discipline
  • no perfectly reliable way to wake up once I've lost consciousness (the best scenario would be to have someone who does sleep yoga as well. One person practices and the other watches and wakes one up immediately upon losing consciousness. And then switching jobs. Progress would be so much faster)

I think the most important component is your focus/concentration skill (among the things you can impact).

I recommend practicing that as much as possible. Formal concentration meditations, as well as trying PERFECT mindfulness during daily activities.

- Some new ideas:

• the faster you mentally repeat "aware" the easier it is to remain aware
  • I recorded myself repeating "aware" and let that audio play during sleep yoga practice (it's a very good anchor to remain aware, and if you lose some consciousness, you might regain it because your subconscious is reminded of remaining aware).

I also don't really work with sleep deprivation anymore.

Simplified, my practice is divided into two versions, based on tiredness levels.

-right before each version 

• listening to motivation music
  • reverse blinking 

- Very tired (lets say I had 7 hours of sleep the previous night, then just remaining 1-5 hours longer awake than usual, at least one hour before sleep yoga practice no blue light) (body wants deep sleep):

• sitting
  • theta, delta or epsilon binaural beats
  • alarm clocks every 1-3 minutes + questions
  • constantly repeating "aware" + "aware" audio recording + constantly mentally checking whether you are still aware
  • maybe FILD 
  • in darkness
  • maybe SAT video 

- tired (body wants REM and light sleep):

• lying down
  • gamma binaural beats
  • alarm clocks every 5-20min + questions
  • constantly repeating "aware" + "aware" audio recording + constantly mentally checking whether you are still aware
  • (holding one hand up if too tired)
  • not in darkness
  • physical relaxation is important

With this approach progress has been speeding up lately. 

Edited by GreenWoods

@GreenWoods That's awesome, and thanks for the replies :D. I've been getting better at entering sleep paralysis plus not getting scared and intentionally waking myself back up out of fear. I've had that "consciousness fading" effect happen in the past during the paralysis state, where my mind became super concentrated and unified and body sensations started to disappear, but not today unfortunately. Today I just lay there waiting for that to happen (it didn't), and enjoying the euphoric vibrations in the body ^_^. I can really see the huge potential of this for consciousness work though, so I'll have to keep trying.

Btw, if you ever need someone to zap with the transmission... ;):P

On 4/20/2022 at 7:55 PM, softlyblossoming said:

I've been getting better at entering sleep paralysis plus not getting scared and intentionally waking myself back up out of fear. I've had that "consciousness fading" effect happen in the past during the paralysis state, where my mind became super concentrated and unified and body sensations started to disappear

Good to hear :)

You seem talented, if you keep practicing you will probably progress very fast!

On 4/20/2022 at 7:55 PM, softlyblossoming said:

.Btw, if you ever need someone to zap with the transmission... ;):P

You mean transmissions from me? I don't think I can give strong transmissions as of yet. But thanks for the offer! Eventually I will need someone to test it haha.

Currently I don't really care much about improving my ability to give transmissions.  My focus is fully on sleep yoga now. I think one of the effects of sleep yoga will be that my ability to give transmissions will greatly improve quickly (one reason for that is because the more altered your state of consciousness (which becomes far easier to do with sleep yoga mastery) the more energetically sensitive you become). That means much more improvement with far lesst effort (higher efficiency), compared to what current practices would yield.

FACTORS that determine whether you can remain conscious during sleep.

let's first define some terms.

• mindful. There are different kinds of mindfulness ("mindfulness" defined in the context of sleep yoga) (for example, being present, conscious of what you are doing, conscious that you are conscious, conscious that you exist,...) and different degrees to mindfulness. Generally, to be mindful means that you have any of the above mentioned kinds of mindfulness, basically that you are not on autopilot (the way most people are 99,9% of their day).
  • mind awake: means that you are not unconscious. You can be mind awake and mindful. You can also be mind awake and not mindful.

Willpower + concentration = mindfulness

- Straightforward Factors:

•  Brainwave skill: the ability to remain mindful with little concentration and willpower at low brainwaves. (The brainwave skill also includes the skill to intentionally lower (and raise) your brainwaves, but that isn't very important for sleep yoga, because tiredness is doing that for us)
  • Concentration. The more powerful your concentration/focus, the easier it is to remain mindful. So, the more powerful your concentration skill, the easier it is to remain mindful during lower brainwaves, and thus remain conscious during sleep.
  • Willpower, determination, discipline, motivation, desire. Willpower is required to induce and maintain concentration/focus and thus mindfulness.
  • Relaxation. your body needs some degree of relaxation to fall asleep. The more tired you are, the less relaxation is required (extreme example: if you are very sleep deprived you can fall asleep while standing), also, the more tired you are, the easier your body relaxes just on its own. So the less tired you are, the more important your ability to relax becomes. The benefit of practicing sleep yoga while being not very tired is that it requires less concentration to remain mindful.
  • Technique

I think that I rank higher on all five of these factors than 90+% of those who are able to have WILD lucid dreams and astral projections, and yet, despite all my effort, I haven't had a single WILD so far (not counting DEILDs here). That means there are more factors. 

- Mysterious Factors:

• The ability that your body can fall asleep easily and quickly even though you are still "mind awake" and conscious, and not deeply relaxed. Whereas for most people losing consciousness is more necessary in order for their body to fall asleep. As a result most people's body can only fall asleep once the mind is asleep too. However, someone who is talented in that skill, can remain conscious while the body falls alseep, just by doing one of the basic astral projection techniques. For most people that simple approach doesn't work.
  • The ability to remain "MIND AWAKE" during low brainwaves even when you lose mindfulness. Most people need mindfulness in order to ensure "mind awake" at these brainwaves.  

There are most likely more of these mysterious factors.

Based on your genetics (and other factors) you have a certain starting point ranking on all of these factors for sleep yoga. The difference between straightforward and mysterious factors is, that the straightforward factors are far more flexible and easy and straightforward to improve.

I believe that those who are considered naturally talented in sleep yoga and astral projection, are naturally talented mostly in these mysterious factors.

I guess the only practical way to improve in these mysterious factors is by practicing sleep yoga. 

Also, by improving much in the straightforward factors, you can compensate for weak mysterious factors.

- How to improve the straightforward factors:

- 1. Brainwave Skill

• The best way to improve that skill is by practicing sleep yoga
  •  listening to binaural beats (below 12hz) during your normal meditations.

- 2. Concentration

2.1. First Component: Concentration skill

• doing concentration and mindfulness practices like: concentration meditations, mindfulness during daily activities, practicing sleep yoga. This is the main way how you progress with sleep yoga. Put most of your effort into concentration and mindfulness practices.
  • training your brain with morphogenic fields:
  • training your brain with gamma binaural beats
  • Magick. For example the "Mental Focus" ritual from "Greater Words of Power" and the "Mental Clarity" ritual from "Archangel Magick". Both books are from Damon Brand. And Uiazel from "Angels of Omnipotence" by Jareth Tempest.

2.2. Second Component: Energy. The more energy you have, the easier it is to remain concentrated and mindful. Some ways to increase that energy:

• energetic absorption techniques from John Kreiter's Magnum Opus book. In his death defier book he explains the role of energy for sleep yoga.
  • Transmissions and Invocations naturally lead to some increase in energy
  • physical energy (health, diet, working out)
  • advanced qi gong practices
  • semen preservation can help too

- 3. Relaxation

• body scanning
  • tensing and then untensing muscles
  • massaging, stretching, moving or warming muscles 
  • tiredness

My use of the words concentration and mindfulness might have been confusing at times. Sometimes these words are pretty interchangeable while at other times there is a difference between them. It's 4 am right now, I couldn't come up with an easier way to explain this stuff haha.

Edited by GreenWoods

If you use your phone and want to play several audios simultaneously (like binaural beats, audio recording of "aware", subliminals, morphogenic fields,...) you can do that with the apps "Music Speed Changer" and "Rocket Player".

Usually, only one audio can be played. If you use the 2 above mentioned apps + any normal audio player app, you can listen to 3 simultaneously. 

I think on the laptop it's a lot easier to play several audios simultaneously by using different audio players.

Another option is to merge mutliple audios into one audio, for example with Audacity (it's free).  Just make sure you don't lose audio quality.

On 4/22/2022 at 4:18 AM, GreenWoods said:

mindful. There are different kinds of mindfulness ("mindfulness" defined in the context of sleep yoga) (for example, being present, conscious of what you are doing, conscious that you are conscious, conscious that you exist,...)

Let's just say being mindful means to be present, to be not on autopilot, to be conscious of what's happening. 

Research 

The most important part of sleep yoga, WILD and astral projection is to achieve body asleep + mind awake. If that is achieved, all else is relatively easy.

Unfortunately, hardly any resources go into any depth on that issue. 

Some time ago I went through around 30 OBE books. Pretty much all were quite low quality (regarding that issue), these were the best:

• Travel far by Darryl E. Berry Jr.
  • Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce 
  • Hacking the Out of Body experience by Robert Peterson
  • and for DEILDs of course: The Phase by Michael Raduga
  • the Way of the Projectionist by John Kreiter also brings an interesting perspective. (And in "the Way of the Death Defier" he also writes a bit about sleep yoga)

The best resources actually seem to be WILD and astral projection tutorials on dreamviews and reddit and other forums.

The quality of those seems to be better than other internet resources or youtube videos, even better than most (or all) OBE and sleep yoga books.

So if anyone wants to do some further research, I can recommend dreamviews, reddit and these books.

Edited by GreenWoods

@GreenWoods what's your experience with yoga nidra? I've started it recently, extremely relaxing practice. 

On 4/28/2022 at 4:17 PM, GreenWoods said:

Research 

The most important part of sleep yoga, WILD and astral projection is to achieve body asleep + mind awake. If that is achieved, all else is relatively easy.

Unfortunately, hardly any resources go into any depth on that issue. 

Some time ago I went through around 30 OBE books. Pretty much all were quite low quality (regarding that issue), these were the best:

• Travel far by Darryl E. Berry Jr.
  • Astral Dynamics by Robert Bruce 
  • Hacking the Out of Body experience by Robert Peterson
  • and for DEILDs of course: The Phase by Michael Raduga
  • the Way of the Projectionist by John Kreiter also brings an interesting perspective. (And in "the Way of the Death Defier" he also writes a bit about sleep yoga)

The best resources actually seem to be WILD and astral projection tutorials on dreamviews and reddit and other forums.

The quality of those seems to be better than other internet resources or youtube videos, even better than most (or all) OBE and sleep yoga books.

So if anyone wants to do some further research, I can recommend dreamviews, reddit and these books.

Polyphasic sleep + Radugas method + a few hours of meditation a day = AP, LDs etc all the time. Up to 5 days a week. 

2 hours ago, herghly said:

@GreenWoods what's your experience with yoga nidra? I've started it recently, extremely relaxing practice. 

@herghly Yoga nidra is mainly about relaxation, right?

I think I practiced with an audio once, but not more because I don't think that increased relaxation skills would help much for me personally.

1 hour ago, Michal__ said:

Polyphasic sleep + Radugas method + a few hours of meditation a day = AP, LDs etc all the time. Up to 5 days a week. 

@Michal__ Great!

Is it more DEILDs (with Raduga's indirect method) or DILDs?

31 minutes ago, GreenWoods said:

@herghly Yoga nidra is mainly about relaxation, right?

I think I practiced with an audio once, but not more because I don't think that increased relaxation skills would help much for me personally.

@Michal__ Great!

Is it more DEILDs (with Raduga's indirect method) or DILDs?

Both. Sometimes a few DILDS during the first sleep of the day and the a few during the second sleep using the indirect method.

Another nice thing I discovered is that you can get very high degrees of stabilization if you mentally note sensations WHILE lucid dreaming or astral projecting. I've managed to stabilize the experiences so much using this method that some of them literally lasted for an hour.

Edited by Michal__

20 hours ago, Michal__ said:

Another nice thing I discovered is that you can get very high degrees of stabilization if you mentally note sensations WHILE lucid dreaming or astral projecting. I've managed to stabilize the experiences so much using this method that some of them literally lasted for an hour.

@Michal__  Thanks for sharing!

8 hours ago, Aleister Crowleyy said:

Learn how to soul travel. I gave up lucid dreaming because it's a waste of time. It's a dependent phenomenon. 

Soul travel is not Astraltravel. Soul travel can happen whenever and you have further control of the mind. 

I have entered D.MT(N,N-DMT) realms using Soul travel. Its very hard to learn. Most books are fake. I can give you authors but you'd have to dm me. It's occult sh!t.

@Aleister Crowleyy Interesting! I DMed you.

Brainwave Entrainment for Sleep Yoga 

Brainwave entrainment like binaural beats, isochronic sounds,...

• Mind Awake

To target the "mind awake" component of sleep yoga, beta, gamma and lambda frequencies are good.

The best frequency seems to be 40 Hz.

There is a correlation between 40Hz and lucid dreaming. And some more interesting stuff about 40Hz, you can do some research if you want.

When a sleep yoga session seems to need more "mind awake", then I recommend using a 40Hz brainwave entrainment audio.

My favourite is currently "Gamma 40" from the iawake website. It uses several different entrainment methods at once.

And sometimes I use 40Hz binaural beats from youtube instead.

I don't know whether binaural beats or isochronic tones are better for 40Hz. I'm probably gonna experiment with isochronic tones too.

• Body Asleep

To target the "body asleep" component of sleep yoga, theta, delta and epsilon frequencies are good.

Theta is the brainwave you usually have during lucid dreaming, light sleep and astral projection (lucid dreaming and astral projection can also happen during delta).

So theta is what we are interested in. Once you are conscious during light sleep and REM, you can use delta or epsilon entrainment to go deeper.

Theta is 4-8 Hz.

You can listen to an audio that covers all of theta, an audio that starts at 8Hz (or above) and goes down to 4. 

You can use that, but specifically for a sleep yoga session, I currently feel like only one specific frequency is better. Because then your brain can get really good at that one freqency (the more you listen to a specific frequency, the more effective it becomes, because the brain is trained to produce these specific brainwaves). And If the frequency constantly changes, that means that the "body asleep" and "mind awake" components constantly change a bit too, which might be too confusing or to variable, for a straightforward simple sleep yoga session. An audio that covers the whole theta range (or even alpha too) might however be a good option to listen to during your normal meditations to train yout brain to the whole frequency range. 

From what I've been reading, 6.3 Hz seems to be the best frequency for astral projection. 

I therefore assume that it's probably the best frequency for conscious light sleep in general. 

This guy (in comments) recommends this 6.3 binaural beat audio:

Theta is generally probably best, but delta and epsilon can aslo be useful. The benefit of these is that they pull your body towards sleep more strongly. So when your body is not tired enough for higher frequencies, you can use one of these lower frequencies instead. The disadvantage is that when your body does reach the point of falling asleep, it's more difficult to remain conscious than with theta beats. So I'd use these only if you're not very tired or while sitting. 

I've been using this audio with epsilon binaural beats, the audio also contains subliminals for inducing the void state:

(I haven't done deep research into this brainwave entrainment stuff, I'm mostly just sharing my thoughts)

Based on my research so far it seems like it's definitely possible to OBE during all sleep stages. 

So if you don't like the non-dual void you could just OBE 8 hours straight.

It's probably more difficult to OBE during deep sleep, but as a sleep yoga master it should eventually be easy.

Here is another benefit of sleep yoga.

Being conscious during all of your sleep results in a merging of your conscious self and your unconscious, which then probably results in a significant increase of your power to manifest.

I explained that in more detail here: