Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Florian

Is revenge good for you?

26 posts in this topic

@Origins

On 11/13/2020 at 3:27 PM, Origins said:

Firstly , I am not saying that revenge is good or bad, there are, in fact cases that can be made for necessary revenge, to suppose that there cannot be is to impose limitations on the potential of an imagination we may not know enough about both with respect to the initial situation of concern and the perceiver of said situation relative to their perception of time and what they believe they can get out of it or to impose our own merits of conduct for all classes of situations which bring about feelings of revenge, either action can be argued out of existence unless one is omnipotent. These cases are merely cases showing respect for the imagination rather than cases that I myself would necessarily follow through with in those instances and thus reserve the right to not usher in an opinion that would only lead the witness, fool the jury and corrupt the judge trying to deliver a sentence on something he barely understands beyond what he has been taught.

For any reader: Have you grappled with the phenomenon of what revenge actually is? How can you merely equate it with hitting someone back because they hit you?

The limits of our consciousness are far greater than most other mammals on earth, but if we are in a culture that is impoverished, of which most are, we will not surrender ourselves to a life that deserves those higher limits and so we will much act like monkeys do when one monkey throws a coconut at another monkey. Strike back without thought, even though, our striking back, may be totally out of alignment with our own long term interests, the interests of our position relative to the object of revenge and the extension of our sense of control over the object we have feelings of revenge towards.

Have you thought about how taking revenge affects your future development? How you may look at the situation in the future from multiple positions? For example, how could you possibly validate the idea that you would be happy in the future when our perspective of a situation in our future often depends on our level of development?

Imagine at 5 years of age you took revenge on a child that stepped on your sand castle by stepping on their sand castle, how do you perceive that act of revenge now? Was it worth it? What did you get out of it? And these are your reservations, there is nothing that my comment needs to project on your own experience there based on any ethics you may believe I follow. Perhaps the only way to proceed forward was to really step on this other child's sand castle because then it puts an end to all future sand castle stomping not just to you but to all other children they come across. 

But how could you possibly imagine this at 5 years of age unless you happened to be unfathomably intelligent at that age? Meaning, when you develop in the future from now, you may perceive your present potential act of revenge differently thus you cannot necessarily completely know if your action of revenge now will be something you value in the future without very, very  good argumentation.

So one of the keys here is the purpose behind your actions of revenge, if you have personally dealt with the feelings already, then the action behind the revenge obviously has some other utility as such that the action of revenge may be predicated on achieving some logical consequence which is analogous. Let's take government for example, if we live in North Korea, would it not be right to take revenge on the government if we had the intelligence and the rest of possible means to overthrow the government to secure a new future of prosperity? Right and wrong are the incorrect  implementation here perhaps, at the very least it would seem completely irrational NOT to overthrow the government if you knew the odds were supremely stacked in your favour, without delusion.

Game theoretically then, how should you proceed forward? This much needs to be on the cards. If it neither aids you, someone else, your larger environment or how you would like to potentially teach your future child, why do it? If you feel the urge, then maybe the correct course of action is to instead take revenge on the feelings of revenge themselves by seeking to understand them as much as possible until that dream landscape can be transformed to a revitalised creative state that puts you in a new position in consciousness.

Have you thought about the epistemic implications of revenge itself? 
What does revenge say about what it means to have a human experience?
What does revenge say about the projections of the mind?
What does it say about the mind itself?
How can we reimagine the feelings that are attached to the objects related to revenge and the objects themselves?
What does revenge say about imagination?
What does revenge say about the experience of being, in the context of the social landscape?
What does it say about how humans relate to other humans?
What does revenge say about our perception of time?
What does revenge say about our need for and perception of survival?

The greater the pain the more we have an opportunity to grow to a higher level.
(because the sum of our growth must be greater than the initial cause)

So perhaps its not should we take revenge but rather, when we ought to versus ought not to, when and why. Because to not impose a pressure on gravity for example, we would never have invented aeroplanes, gone to space, even have the capacity to walk. By reimagining the intuitive landscape of revenge as I've done here with that analogy, you'll be able to see the larger role of revenge in the context of envisioning other modes of being and how it explains our various other kinds of advances, from both the necessity of revenge in certain cases to the protections we invent to not take or need to take revenge when we ought not to because it does not aid us in our ascension.

Very well written! I can easily imagine a scenario with your wording, and gave me minor insights into my past with feeling revenge.

@Danioover9000 to add to my comment you responded to sometimes you gotta light it up though before revenge is needed to let people know you mean serious business. That can sometimes be a unique fail safe to revenge, because they’ll fear that you’ll be the kind of person that would take revenge. Not that I consciously do this but I’ve noticed it works in terms of retrospectively analysing some people’s actions. It’s important to be assertive from the outset so that they always expect that this is going to be your default regardless. Assertively pissed off (ideally strategically), for example.

To me it seems to just increase the likelyhood of you wanting revenge again when something else happens. Like an addictive pattern. You should get to a point where revenge is pointless to you becasue that is only desirable by the ego. If our goal here is to demolish it, seems kind of going against your purpose. If we suppose that we are talking about a regular person who isnt pursuing awakening, I guess it can give some relief . Thinking like this seems kind of counter-intuitive when we are talking about aquiring peace though. The beauty of high counciousness is understadning why your enemies act the way they do, so that you can forgive them no matter how painful it might be originaly.