GeorgeLawson

Infinite Exploration Journal

5 posts in this topic

I've decided to start this journal as a way to see where I am in my life and where I want to go next. 

Currently, at the age of 25, I feel quite depressed and confused about life, to be honest. I'm not sure what I'm doing, why I'm here, what my life purpose is, and how I'm ever going to truly live out my authentic self. I'm not expecting anyone to tell me what direction I should take, because I know that's ultimately up to me, but it is nice to get perspectives from other people on their journeys so I can see examples of how they got from A to B. 

But I suppose this journal is about me, so let's start with that topic and go from there. My name's George, I from the UK but currently working as an English teacher for adults in Hong Kong. I enjoy what I do, helping others to communicate, and I love languages, which is how I ended up in this job in the first place. I love poetry, rhyme, and lyrical music, and am fascinated by how to express the beauty of words in different languages. I do experience stress and burnout in my job though, and therefore wonder if it is the right career path for me. I suppose the only way to find out is to try out new things and see if I prefer doing them more than this. Whenever I think about quitting my job and trying out something else though, I do end up just feeling depressed and confused because I'm not sure what else I could do. 

Anyway, that's my musings for today. Perhaps the future will offer some fresh perspective on this matter. 

Hey George, 

Don't think I've seen you around before (till I saw your comment on my journal). Welcome to the forum! You've come to the perfect place to find answers & help. 

On 06/11/2020 at 2:47 PM, GeorgeLawson said:

Currently, at the age of 25, I feel quite depressed and confused about life, to be honest. I'm not sure what I'm doing, why I'm here, what my life purpose is, and how I'm ever going to truly live out my authentic self. I'm not expecting anyone to tell me what direction I should take, because I know that's ultimately up to me, but it is nice to get perspectives from other people on their journeys so I can see examples of how they got from A to B. 

If you can burn some extra £, the life purpose course can be life-changing. I bought it 4 years ago and it has been changing my life ever since. Today I am close to the point where I can leave my regular job and can transition to the new thing, all thanks to Leo's teaching and him showing my the way through those videos. It was one of the best investments I've ever made. 

On 06/11/2020 at 2:47 PM, GeorgeLawson said:

do experience stress and burnout in my job though, and therefore wonder if it is the right career path for me.

It is possible to burn out even if you are passionate. Perhaps the work-life balance hasn't been set properly. A passionate person who really wants to make a difference can easily burn himself out so I wouldn't take that as a sign but if you'd like to explore other journeys, the LP course I mentioned can show you the way :)

Keep us informed how you get on. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

We're in the same boat :D i resonate with feeling lost, not knowing my purpose, what i'm doing with my life... a phase in my life though I like to say. I wish you well

Thanks for the support, Michael and Jacob. @Michael569 @Jacob Morres

It's been a while since posting in this journal, but I want to keep it going as my curiosity is, after all, infinite.

I did actually take the life purpose course when it first came out over five years ago. It was a hugely inspiring course when I took it and my life purpose statement came out follows: 

I write and perform songs which harmonise emotional suffering and teach life's deepest wisdom.

Now, I have been doing this on and off throughout my 20s (I have a youtube channel with song videos I've written, performed, recorded and posted), but I often lose faith in this purpose because I'm not sure where to go from here. I also have deep-rooted doubts about whether or not I'd be able to make a living from something as 'crazy' as this. 

I'm currently 26, and to earn money I teach English to adults here in Hong Kong. I really enjoy my current job because it allows me to share my passion for language and writing, which in itself is related to songwriting. I also do a singing club at the school I work at which somewhat integrates my passion into my job. 

But I still feel there's so much more I could do to make this passion less abstract and more concretely manifested in reality. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated:D

On 4/16/2021 at 9:51 PM, GeorgeLawson said:

Thanks for the support, Michael and Jacob. @Michael569 @Jacob Morres

It's been a while since posting in this journal, but I want to keep it going as my curiosity is, after all, infinite.

I did actually take the life purpose course when it first came out over five years ago. It was a hugely inspiring course when I took it and my life purpose statement came out follows: 

I write and perform songs which harmonise emotional suffering and teach life's deepest wisdom.

Now, I have been doing this on and off throughout my 20s (I have a youtube channel with song videos I've written, performed, recorded and posted), but I often lose faith in this purpose because I'm not sure where to go from here. I also have deep-rooted doubts about whether or not I'd be able to make a living from something as 'crazy' as this. 

I'm currently 26, and to earn money I teach English to adults here in Hong Kong. I really enjoy my current job because it allows me to share my passion for language and writing, which in itself is related to songwriting. I also do a singing club at the school I work at which somewhat integrates my passion into my job. 

But I still feel there's so much more I could do to make this passion less abstract and more concretely manifested in reality. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated:D

Still thinking about this issue, so I'm going to reply to myself, here: 

I think the best thing I can do is to keep integrating my songwriting into my current English teaching job as much as possible. 

Yes, I could quit my job and try to 'make it' in the music industry (whatever that means), but I still feel that I have a lot more skills to develop first, especially with regards to my guitar playing, singing and lyric writing. I think I need to become so good that they can't ignore me, then try to break in.

I'm going to a poetry reading club this evening on Hong Kong island which should hopefully clear up a few things...