Sartanion

Is Awareness Limitless?

8 posts in this topic

I'd be happy if you could explain something to me, since english is my 2nd language.

I've heard a lot of times that awareness is limitless, but I can't still experience that. I am aware of my bodily sensations, feelings, thoughts. Even of that fact that I am aware. But when you are aware of flower and you turn, that you can't see it anymore, you can't be sure if flower's here or even if is something still behind you. In that sense, it seems like being aware of something is limited by space and our ability to watch and listen.

In my experience, awareness is limitless just in "one" case and it's when I am aware of the fact that I am aware. In this case, awareness itself is not limited by space or time.

So by any chance If someone is saying that "awareness is limitless", he actually means "awareness of being aware is limitless", right?
I think that this is what they mean by talking about non-limits of awareness, but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you for making this clear, I feel like this could help. When I was listening to someone talking about awareness,

In your experience, is awareness a thing you can pinpoint ? :)

If it is not a thing, it cannot be defined in terms of space and time,this is what is meant I think ;) 

Imagine awareness a mirror, reflecting everything and yet undisurbed by any of it. A mirror makes no effort to reflect. 

Edited by Guivs

12 hours ago, Sartanion said:

it seems like being aware of something is limited by space and our ability to watch and listen.

Awareness is not an "ability" or an "Experience" it is the existence itself, yeah because Existence is limitless right?

@Sartanion It's the body that is limited. Awareness is using the body, and all the senses that come with it, like a lens to experience the world from that perspective. It's like tuning into different stations on the television. The television screen can take on the form of whatever station you tune into. In the same way, awareness can take on the form of whatever body it's looking through. That's how it's limitless.

16 hours ago, Sartanion said:

So by any chance If someone is saying that "awareness is limitless", he actually means "awareness of being aware is limitless", right?

No, it's more like this:

Awareness is the underlying screen, the no-thing out of everything arises and to everything goes. You might say it is the flip-side of the coin of reality. The one side is the dualistic world, with all it's symptoms like trees, people, animals and the other side is awareness, a no-thing that is underlying all of that. Both are in the most fundamental sense the same, but expressing themselves in the most polarized (and in this way different) way.

Now, you as your body are like a receiver of consciousness (actually neuroscience is awakening to this fact as well - they long thought that your head makes consciousness and now begin to see that it receives it). So, you can train your head to receive more awareness, it's like zooming out of a very narrow detail with your camera until you see a whole other picture. 

That's why all the enlightenment gurus tell you that you are everything and no-thing. Everything (as the world you can see, touch and smell), no-thing as the awareness that is underlying all of that like a screen you might say).

And you'll awaken to that if you zoomed out your receiving head enough, because at some point it's just perfectly obvious.

Cheers :P

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

OK yeah that makes sense, I wasnt really sure what the op meant but reading the other comments it's a bit more clearer. 

So awareness is limitless as it is everything, as a human it's like we are drop of awareness out of a vast ocean. Or think of it like this we are a bit of water from the ocean put into a glass, we take the form of the glass and view the world from this glass but we are eternally always part of the ocean. The view that we're separate is an illusion as we think we are the glasses and in most cases we are not even aware of the water 

Thanks everybody, I wasnt sure, because in my language word "awareness" does not exists. Or rather it only can be translated as words that is actually not word for awareness if it makes any sence :P.

If I understand clearly, the reason why I felt that awareness is limited is because of limits of my body that is more like "limited receiver" that can receive only one small part at the time.

Are limits inside awareness or is awareness inside limits? If it's the latter, how do you know it's inside limits if you're not aware of those limits?