Godex

Meditation, Enlightenment And Psychosis

6 posts in this topic

I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia for several years. I started meditating last year, about the time when the 'Meditation On Steroids' video came out. After only a few days I saw improvements already. After a week into it I sat down for another session for my usual 20 minutes but this time it was different, I could zone out much more easily, my monkey mind was much quieter and about 10 minutes into it I could feel myself slipping into psychosis which there was no sign of the last sessions. That scared me and I haven't tried to meditate after that, except for one of Leo's videos where there was a guided meditation exercise that made me feel a bit odd as well. Maybe there would be a more suitable technique(s) for people who are prone to psychosis? Or should I ditch the idea of meditating altogether?

Also, is it possible for a person with schizophrenia to become enlightened? My first psychotic episode felt a lot like enlightenment experiences some people describe, parts of it anyways.

I have changed my diet a couple of times. Right now I'm on high carb vegan, gluten free. Cutting out gluten and casein made the psychosis much better, but I still need lots of meds. I'm on 3 antipsychotics(technically 4 but one is only for sleep) and an antidepressant plus lots of supplements.

Sorry, but ditching meds when you're schizophrenic can have disastrous consequences. A lot of people with this have tried it and very few have have been able to live a normal life without them. 

I have watched the Terence Mckenna video before. I guess you just posted it because it's interesting, not much practical advice there. 

I guess there's no way for me to meditate(the benefits would be huge in my personal and professional life if I could). I've gotten lucky in many ways to be as functional as I am with this.

Thanks everybody for your answers. 

@Godex My opinion is to to not worry. Go on with meditating. Don't be afraid... Try it and see this psychosis going on, watch it. Experiment. I post you a quote from Osho that will change your mind on what meditation is. Take a look, it's quite insightful.

Since I can't copy the text I'll paste the link: http://www.osho.com/iosho/library/read-book/online-library-schizophrenia-accept-two-0f5b522c-0d6?p=e91bd15f9f542d06ab4a33793e972a24

And also this, taken from a discourse on different bodies: 

So shirshasan has been used as a method to take you from the fourth body to the fifth. The main thing to be remembered is to be looking upward. This can be done through tratak – staring at a fixed object, through concentration on the sun, through so many objects. But it is better to do it inwardly. Just close the eyes!
But first, the first four bodies must be crossed. Only then can it be helpful, otherwise not. Otherwise it may be disturbing; it may create all sorts of mental diseases, because the whole adjustment of the system will be shattered. The four bodies are looking downward, and with your inner mind you are looking upward. Then, there is every possibility that schizophrenia will result.
To me, schizophrenia is the result of such a thing. That is why ordinary psychology cannot go deeply into schizophrenia. The schizophrenic mind is simultaneously working in opposite directions: standing outside and looking inside; standing outside and looking upward. Your whole system must be in harmony. If you have not known your physical body from the inside, then your consciousness should be facing downward. That will be healthy; the adjustment is right. You must never try to turn the outward moving mind upward or schizophrenia, division, will be the result.

i'm rapidly recovering from SEVERE schizophrenia with no medications because of my daily hatha yoga practice (2 hours daily). it will ground you in reality, guaranteed. i'd advise staying away from meditation altogether until you feel your feet touching the ground and your ego has been returned to a state of normalcy. meditation actually landed me in multiple treatment centers and mental hospitals, and actually triggered a psychotic episode. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  you want to stay in your body, no matter what. there are also some yogic breathing techniques that help. i do the ujjayi breath for 15 minutes a day. 

discipline and routine are essential for overcoming schizophrenia as well. find a purpose in your life, and master it. and medications do help a lot too in many cases, if used intelligently. be careful of them though, because they can totally zombify your mind, and most of them are neurotoxic and have a huge number of awful, damaging side effects. maybe you could stay on meds for a few years and use them as tools for short term stabilization, and then you could wean yourself off them.

hatha yoga is the way to go for schizophrenia. i can GUARANTEE that you can overcome the "disease" 100 percent without meds one day, if you can master this practice. there are numerous studies that have shown it to be tremendously beneficial for combatting psychosis. it is also considered to be just as effective as typical concentration meditation practice by numerous spiritual masters.

i also highly recommend transpersonal psychology. http://www.grof-holotropic-breathwork.net/profiles/blogs/socalled-schizophrenia-as read this. i think you would find this article tremendously beneficial. 

Edited by SamEuphoria93