Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zedi

Watching Vs Watching The Watcher

5 posts in this topic

So I have a couple questions. If its been asked before then my bad. Spiritual teachers tend to say two similar but different things when it comes to present moment awareness.  One teacher will say you should "watch the thinker" or "watch the watcher". Others say you should "Be the watching" or just "rest as awareness". In practice it doesn't feel like the same thing . My question is do these practices lead to the same outcome? Should more focus be placed on the watching of thoughts or to the resting as awareness?  

Watching the watcher implies that there is still a You watching the watcher, so this is still a dualistic illusion of sort, see ? :) 

However, for many, it is hard to drop all effort and become the experience directly, so the teacher will guide the student to first watch the watcher before one realizes there is no one to watch and no one watching :D Actually, there is just Watching, no watcher. 

So, the method of watching the thinker is a crutch, while the other of resting as awareness is a method of no-method, as long as you do not think You have to do something to rest as awareness :P 

Well that clears a lot up, actually because watching watcher felt like some kind of effort on my part which would be followed by a "not watching" :D So am I correct in saying resting as awareness is not a participating  in a doing but just a happening? 

Yes, resting as awareness can help in recognizing the fact that you have always been what's happening :D 

As long as you do not imply that there is a You resting in awareness, which is another ego construct :P

Ego and its cunning ways, it will also want to claim that it got enlightened ahahahahah, this is so funny actually :D