Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ItsNick

Need to Shake During Meditation

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I've been a daily meditator for a while now but I have a "problem" since a few months. And I think it's become more intense.

Most days now, when I sit down to meditate I'm experiencing a range of strange symptons. I feel an intense (sometimes orgasmic-like) energy in my body that I feel I need to release. Sometimes I feel like I need to shake my body or my head. Other times I feel a need to breathe very deeply and especially when breathing out. Sometimes there's also an orgasmic kind of feeling across my spine, my back, neck, and head. But without ever being able to truly release this energy.

This makes meditating harder because it ruins my concentration and I'm unable to truly relax. I only have this problem when I'm sitting down to meditate. And rarely when I'm sitting down and deeply concentrating on other work.

I've seen Leo's video on the Dark Side of Meditation. So this could just be something I have to work through. But it'd be nice to hear some words of advice from you guys. Thanks.

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

Sometimes when I meditate my hips start vibrating, like thrusting very quickly. But unlike you, I don't mind it. To me it's just proof that the imaginary motherfucker that I am isn't controlling shit ?

Also, why are you trying to concentrate during meditation? Just be presently passive; don't do anything; just let whatever wants to happen happen. If you can't, then that is what is supposed to happen. Start loving your shitty meditation sessions because they are supposed to be shitty.

Let me say that again. Don't resist anything, and if you feel like you can't stop resisting, let the resisting happen. Very simple!

26 minutes ago, ItsNick said:

Hey guys. I've been a daily meditator for a while now but I have a "problem" since a few months. And I think it's become more intense.

Most days now, when I sit down to meditate I'm experiencing a range of strange symptons. I feel an intense (sometimes orgasmic-like) energy in my body that I feel I need to release. Sometimes I feel like I need to shake my body or my head. Other times I feel a need to breathe very deeply and especially when breathing out. Sometimes there's also an orgasmic kind of feeling across my spine, my back, neck, and head. But without ever being able to truly release this energy.

This makes meditating harder because it ruins my concentration and I'm unable to truly relax. I only have this problem when I'm sitting down to meditate. And rarely when I'm sitting down and deeply concentrating on other work.

I've seen Leo's video on the Dark Side of Meditation. So this could just be something I have to work through. But it'd be nice to hear some words of advice from you guys. Thanks.

Just release it. You can´t concentrate because you are thinking "I need to let the itch go and not scratch it". Lol no, just shake yourself to death and move on.

It has happened to me several times. I don´t know the theory of it but in my experience is when I am beggining to enter no-self territory and the shake is a kind of reaction of the ego to re-assure/re-activate itself.

Is actually very funny to see the ego come back to live like "nothing was happening some seconds ago" xD

@ItsNick The piti/kundalini/energy buildup can get quite painful. Try to keep as still as possible so that energy can be channeled into the eventual explosion of rapture so you can work on jhanas. The stiller you are, the more painful it can get, but perhaps view it as sexual energy or just extreme exhilaration, using some subtle intention or insight practice. The most troublesome piti symptom for me was usually, first my hands and nose, and then every part of my body, feeling as hard as solid metal, and extremely heavy and huge. To the point where I felt completely shocked to still be breathing -- the metal wasn't bending, it was shapeshifting in frames. Was pretty scary but usually just mind blowing. Continue practicing through it. It can get even weirder.

11 hours ago, The0Self said:

Continue practicing through it

Yeah that's my plan. We're in lockdown where I live so I've decided to meditate 3 times a day now for a week and see what happens.

11 hours ago, The0Self said:

The piti/kundalini/energy buildup can get quite painful

I don't know much yet about kundalini. But yes it can get extremely uncomfortable to the point that just "sitting still doing nothing" becomes almost impossible

Edited by ItsNick

Stories are made for children to fall asleep, and adults to wake up.

@ItsNick What you're describing sounds like Kundalini/Shakti Kriyas (automatic spontaneous movements/happenings). I recommend (if that is the case) that you let it play out; don't try to fight it. The more you do, the more painful & difficult things might get for you. Let Kundalini do her thing through your being; she knows you & the best path(s) for your evolution to undergo because she is You/God. 

Let go; surrender to Your-Self.

Edited by iTommy

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

@ItsNick As others have said, what you're experiencing are Kriyas. You just need to allow them to happen and release when and where you can. They will subside eventually. Believe it or not this is a very promising sign, not many people have these sorts of energetic movements.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski