Danioover9000

Is too much cancel culture too much?

11 posts in this topic

While I do think that it depends on who's getting canceled, like an abusive successful person getting canceled, is it too much when the person is moderately successful, or is just starting his/her career? And what are your thoughts on the dynamics of attacking a person based on some dirt that's relevant or even irrelevant to the person getting canceled? Also some thoughts on the video below is good:

God yes.

Look at the people who engage in these internet wars to cancel those they disagree with. These aren't healthy people at all, they're deeply insecure.

All political correctness is a manifestation of low self-esteem. Simple as that.

Loved what he said at 12 minute mark: "In a way a comedian like Dave Chapelle is punching up when he targets cancel culture because he is targeting the self-appointed moral arbiters who are trying to force their political opinions on an entire industry of people through strong arm tactics and threats against their livelihood." 

It's insanely authoritarian. These people are fucking batshit lmfao.

Well, what do we mean by "cancel culture?" It's a broad term that can mean almost anything. Someone getting publicly denounced because they said one sexist joke back in 2006 could be called "cancel culture", or someone getting denounced, being fired and having their platforms taken away because they called for the expulsion of all minorities in a news article could also be called "cancel culture."

The first would be an example of excessive moralism that no one can really live up to, and it tends to be the examples that right-wing groups focus on as cancel culture being "out of control." But the second one is a very legitimate response to real threats to people's lives and the people who complain about it are just bitter their toxic ideas aren't being heard.

At this point, I don't think the term "cancel culture" really means anything. People can use it for whatever political ends they're trying to seek. If you hear it used about a specific situation, look into that situation yourself and come to a conclusion on your own IMO.

“All you need is Love” - John Lennon

@Apparition of Jack

19 hours ago, Apparition of Jack said:

Well, what do we mean by "cancel culture?" It's a broad term that can mean almost anything. Someone getting publicly denounced because they said one sexist joke back in 2006 could be called "cancel culture", or someone getting denounced, being fired and having their platforms taken away because they called for the expulsion of all minorities in a news article could also be called "cancel culture."

The first would be an example of excessive moralism that no one can really live up to, and it tends to be the examples that right-wing groups focus on as cancel culture being "out of control." But the second one is a very legitimate response to real threats to people's lives and the people who complain about it are just bitter their toxic ideas aren't being heard.

At this point, I don't think the term "cancel culture" really means anything. People can use it for whatever political ends they're trying to seek. If you hear it used about a specific situation, look into that situation yourself and come to a conclusion on your own IMO.

At the very least, if cancel culture is the first time you're hearing of it, a good description of it, some definitions, is a good start. The video below is one explanation of cancel culture's negative side. Note that I'm not throwing away the good of cancel culture calling out evil action that're probably true, but that's still a big if, and is still dependent on who's canceled:

@Ry4n

20 hours ago, Ry4n said:

God yes.

Look at the people who engage in these internet wars to cancel those they disagree with. These aren't healthy people at all, they're deeply insecure.

All political correctness is a manifestation of low self-esteem. Simple as that.

Loved what he said at 12 minute mark: "In a way a comedian like Dave Chapelle is punching up when he targets cancel culture because he is targeting the self-appointed moral arbiters who are trying to force their political opinions on an entire industry of people through strong arm tactics and threats against their livelihood." 

It's insanely authoritarian. These people are fucking batshit lmfao.

It goes in line with what Leo has said in his video about authoritarianism and democracy, that compared to dictatorships where most of the power is funneled towards the top of a regime, a dictator's family or just himself, the power is now distributed downwards to the middle or bottom of the pyramid. Also, people fall for the illusion of the computer screen being the almighty shield that'll forever protect them.

@Danioover9000 Social media is just a battlefield. Low consciousness. 

I'm extremely non-conservstive, but even some of these braindead millenials and children on social media are too much for me. Everyone is spineless, unleashing their pent up aggression on anyone who has the balls to speak what everyone is thinking. 

The level of trust in the room is so low. Use a "bad word" or two, get accused of something, everyone tries to lynch you.

Everyone assumes bad intent, a self fulfilling prophecy because when you treat people like they're bad humans, they think oh well, may as well actually act as one. 

Untill people can learn to not assume bad intent, have trust, it won't end 

--

Political events are the socially acceptable way to express your repressed negativity. You aren't mad that X and Y happened, you're mad because you're mad in general, and you now have a socially acceptable justification to express it. 

It's juvenile, it's lying. The lying, hiding, games we play for survival. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

On 11/1/2020 at 3:19 PM, Danioover9000 said:

While I do think that it depends on who's getting canceled, like an abusive successful person getting canceled, is it too much when the person is moderately successful, or is just starting his/her career? And what are your thoughts on the dynamics of attacking a person based on some dirt that's relevant or even irrelevant to the person getting canceled? Also some thoughts on the video below is good:

Almost any amount of cancel culture is too much. Obviously society usually dismisses the worst of the worst. But this petty back and forth over tiny infractions by the average joe is ridiculous.

Though doth not want these hands! - Jesus

Cancel Culture is merely a tool that is often being abused. It can be used in a good way as people with lots of influence can spread ideas harmful to society more easily and their cancelling reduces the power they have. However the bad parts of it include even the tiniest infraction leading to cancelling and not giving people enough room to change and grow.

@Dryas

22 hours ago, Dryas said:

Stage Green just has terrible optics sometimes.

I've read this word 'optics' being used here in the sub forum. Do you mean manipulation when you're saying optics?

I think that a person that goes into stage green is still fresh in emotional mastery, so maybe the negative side of cancel culture is low skill in emotional management. Am I getting close?