Sockrattes

Thought provoking and somehow spiritual movies

18 posts in this topic

What are your Top 5 movies you would recommend to others, because they have affected you deeply, and why?

Mine are:

1. Arrival - Everything about it. It's just the most perfect film i've ever seen. The overall tone of it. It has exactly the same emotional depth and dyeing of the short-story which is based on. 

2. Her - Very emotional. With a deep melancholic pace and tone. A comprehensible lovestory, with an ending that hits you hard.

3. Matrix - No explanation needed on this one.^^

4. Waking life - It's more of a lecture from God about the nature of reality, other than a movie. 

5. Lord of the Rings-Trilogy - Not necessarily "spiritual", even if gods and demons are part of it. But it is the greatest film based on the monomyth in maybe the last 30 years. It has flaws, yes, but very few people can deny this trilogy is something else. Also it touches many philosophical themes like determinism/free will, transcendence, suffering and release.

I hope this topic is allowed here. I've used the search function but couldn't find anything related or similar.

Edited by Sockrattes

Groundhog's Day - Hey, a beloved movie that's about self actualization and emotional growth, and playfully explores the Buddhist notion of samsara.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/

Can't remember why but Synecdoche New York was amazing. 

Annihilation. It's the most accurate representation of a bad trip that I've ever come across. I literally have PTSD from some of the scenes.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Fight Club. One of my favorites.

V for Vendetta too.

"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Well i don't know about affected me deeply and i don't really have top 10 lists etc. but some movies i really like which haven't been mentioned are

Donnie Darko (interesting, beautifully shot)

Watchmen (get's a lot of hate, but it's my fav comic book movie)

Prometheus (also get's a lot of hate but one of my fav sci fi movies)

Truman Show (always liked Jim Carrey and this is a good one)

Godfather 1+2 (sounds maybe pretentious but i love it how it's shot, the story how the character develops, slow pace, music, everything)

Inception

On 10/28/2020 at 3:15 PM, Sockrattes said:

1. Arrival - Everything about it. It's just the most perfect film i've ever seen. The overall tone of it. It has exactly the same emotional depth and dyeing of the short-story which is based on. 

This is my favorite movie!

1986 movie 'Highlander'. The main character is immortal. The Kurgan represents the Highlander's Ego. It's large, dark, destructive, selfish, and likes to indulge in baser animalistic desires. Once the protagonist kills his Ego (the Kurgan), he instantly experiences 'The Prize' and says "I know everything!", I am everything!".  The Prize is full Nondual Enlightenment.

• Peaceful Warrior
  • Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring
  • Enter the Void
  • Samsara (the 2001 movie, not the documentary)
  • Any movie by Andrei Tarkovsky (Mirror, Solaris, Stalker,..)
  • The Seventh Seal
  • The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928 Silent Movie: Listen to it with the "Voices of Light" Score by Richard Einhorn)
Edited by dharm4

@dharm4 enter the void is a heavy movie.. Definitely not a fun one. 

I would add the first butterfly effect it shows that just one action could change the trajectory of your life

Also blackmirror 

1. Lord of the rings trilogy - by far my favorite

2. Matrix - also great

3. Harry Potter- it really feels like I'm being thrown in to this magical world when I'm watching it.

4. Fight Club 

Oldboy. 

It deals with revenge. 

2003 South Korean one not the American. 

"The only person staning in you way is you. It's time to let her go..... Lose yourself"

The black swan... 

It's about letting go....  "spiritualisme" reveals itself only when you let go.... 

suprise yourself

Black Swan - You Bit Me - YouTube

Edited by Star

Matrix

Mr Nobody

Altered States

Shutter Island

Little Buddha

Don’t you realize that all of you together are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God lives in you?
1 Corinthians 3:16

Waking life is a masterpiece. It’s like lucid dreaming and psychedelics put together, anyone who does psychs should watch this.

1. Memento (2000) - Taught me a lot about "forgetfulness" 

2. The Matrix (1999) - No explanation needed.

3. Gangs Of New York (2002) - The style. The time period. And Daniel Day Lewis's acting.

4. Synecdoche New York (2008) - Life in the arts. 

5. The Prestige (2006) - You haven't watched it once unless you've watched it twice. The re watch is the first time.

Stand By Me (1986) - My favorite movie. Some excellent video essays that go into how the film is an emotionally honest exploration of childhood, friendship, grief, masculinity, and emotional vulnerability.

I'm writing a philosophy book! Check it out at : https://7provtruths.org/