Ampresus

Life Purpose course or University?

10 posts in this topic

Good day everyone.

As my last years of high school are coming to an end, I have basically made two options for myself:
1. I take a gap year, buy Leo's course and try to finish it within that year. I'll know what I want, how to get it and what I need to get it at the end of the year.
2. I go to university, get myself a degree so I am secure in that regard and then pursue one of many dreams which I have.

As of right now I am not 100% certain what I want. I always thought I wanted to become something big like an astronaut, which is still something I really want to be, but I see now that it might be smarter to go for other options. Especially Leo's blog post about universities really made me question whether it would be smart to go to one.

Psychedelics researcher, full-time video-editor or primatologist are my other options right now. My interest is high in these fields and maybe just going for the astronaut route might not be that fun. Apparently I'd need at least a degree in something like aerospace engineering, something which in and of itself doesn't seem THAT interesting to me, but is certainly something I'd consider doing if that's what it takes to become an astronaut.

The gap year would really help me figure out what I want, though lets say the course doesn't take too long I would end up not doing much for the remainder of the year. You can only apply for universities every year you know. I would have loads of free time left not knowing what to do.

If you have any advice, suggestions or general remarks about universities and stuff, please let me know. So far my only informant about universities has been Leo calling them all evil and personally I am still a bit skeptic about that. Maybe he's right, I don't know.

Well, the life purpose course is a hell of a lot cheaper than college.  

The issue with college is that it gets you and debt and does not prepare you for the real world.  Unless you are going to study medicine, psychology (and actually get a masters at least so that you can work), law, engineering, or become a teacher or scientist or mathematician then there is really no need to go to college.  Those are also the only degrees that you will be able to get work in.  Most people do not work in the field that their degrees are in.

If you desire to be a psychedelic researcher, maybe going to college could give you some creditability and connects.  If you desire to be an editor, you don’t need college, just edit as much as possible and create reels to get more work.  

I’d take the gap year and take the life purpose course.

@Ampresus I'm not sure about Netherlands but here in the Czech Republic, you can apply for college until February/March 2021. If you buy the course now & set your mind on it, you'll make it even before clock strikes 2021. 

gap year sounds like a plan to me.

It's important to find out exactly what you want before dropping tens of thousands of dollars and 4 years of your life into something you are unsure of.

You could also take junior college if you personally really wanted to start college for whatever reason. It's a lot cheaper than other universities and you can transfer to a big name university out of a lot of junior colleges after your 2nd year with a contract.

Although with how you are sounding in this post...

If I were you I would take the gap year and go balls to the wall with self actualization and life purpose course work. In that one year you have the potential to grow 100x the average college kid if you are serious and efficient with your time and resources.

Every one of us needs to carefully figure out what we want to do with our life and make it happen. Blindly following our parents path of going to college not knowing what we want to do does not solve this problem but only delays it.

Edited by Byun Sean

@Ampresus I'm with @SirVladimir: Buy the course now and make a commitment to finish the exercises before Christmas. Even if you don't settle on a life-purpose statement, you'll have a different perspective, and you'll be able to decide whether you want to take a gap year for exploration or life-purpose work, or start uni right away. 

Edited by Elisabeth

Low key, if you are disciplined you can do both

The course is a lot of work, I completed it by going to a cafe every morning from 6-9am before work. 

Good luck with whatever you decide!

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

16 hours ago, datamonster said:

Pursue your ideas as side-hustles. You can always go full time and double down once they are getting traction, and if not you still have University.

This is a good point, I got over excited and ran into financial difficulties. A side hustle might not sound big and amazing... But if you are just started out they are deceptively challenging and rewarding. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

@Ampresus I did Leo's course and in my opinion you won't need an entire yeaarto finish it. If you start it right now you can certanly do it if you are willing to spend some time doing it.

Give it a go

hope that this has helped<3

I can surlely tell how I would re-do my actions.

Life-purpose course and a year gap to decide wether I need to go to University and the answer for me was obviously no. I would still have to face the same problems if I did go to university to achieve what I want and while university could provide better job options, you are far set back if your life purpose doesnt involve an academic field or specific profession that requires sertificate for you to do what you want to do.

Edited by Applegarden