PurpleTree

Do you jog?

31 posts in this topic

I regret and feel bad about using the word "savage" in the last post.  I meant it more in a sense of the feeling I was describing.  But I feel bad about that.  Like they aren't savages n such.  Just I think people in "primitive culture" (don't even think that's accurate), or stage purple cultures, are in touch with things on a more primal and fundamental level that I feel attached to.  Like senses of innoncence and love, but that the innocence is also very pure and strong as well, and able to be used in very noble ways as well, for goodness.  ... I dunno.  I guess I just really value and respect some aspects of those ways of being and don't want to put down others that way or describe people like that.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

I re-discovered jogging last spring, when because of an injury and the lockdown I stopped exercising and I was slowly becoming crazy. I started slowly, jogging once every few days and short distances, so that my leg muscles could gradually wake up. Calves hurt for a couple of weeks though.

This summer I was going 30 minutes 3 times a week and I loved it, especially because I could go shirtless, which feels more natural and allows you to get that vitamin D in B|

Almost every time I was brought in a new space mentally: I would think about my desires and plans for the future. Worries and problems I had were re-contextualized. It's just a really good way to let off steam and get the junk out of your system. I don't listen to anything, I want to feel as free as possible and be with my thoughts, notice my self-talk as I struggle.

Damn I should pick it back up, the cold stopped me.

11 hours ago, datamonster said:

absolutely! unfortunately I had to take a break due to a knee injury. now I have to pick it up slowly again. my PBs are pretty much gone now:(

That sucks.

I really hope once we're "old" that science/transplants/replacements etc. are so much advanced that we can really profit from it more than previous generations.

Running is great, I fell in love with it some years ago when I started to read some runners's biographies and other books about running. I can really recommend the following books:

• Born to run: A hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the greatest Race the World has ever seen
  • Barefoot runner: The life of Marathon Champion Abebe Bikila
  • Eat and Run: My unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness
  • Running with the Kenyans: Passion, Adventure, and the Secret of the fastest People on Earth

This is just a small sample (wanna read Haruki Murakami's "What I talk about when I talk about running" sometime too) but if you lack motivation once in a while or if you are really passionate about running, reading some of such books might be a real pleasure for you.

Also I got really interested into barefoot running and soon after getting involved with lots of running material, I started changing my running technique (wearing barefoot shoes or shoes with a very low heel pitch, landing on middle-/forefoot, making smaller steps, ...)  and wow, this change was awesome. I cannot even run with "heavy" normal running shoes anymore since they feel so constricting and like a burden and running feels much more exhausting then.

Barefoot exercises (not especially running in the beginning) can also help with several feet issues and I have seen my sister benefit from this especially.

I wear Merrel Barefooot running shoes but there are so many other good brands out there, I think there is a huge variety nowadays, even if you are looking for "natural/barefoot" trail running shoes for example.

I did Couch To 5K earlier this year and I got up to Week 7 (running for 25 minutes straight) until I got mildly injured and took a week off, then never really got back into it. Now the city is currently ripping my entire street up including the sidewalks, so I'd have to walk through 100m of rough uneven mud to get to a sidewalk to run, so it's on hold.

From my experience:

- A proper pair of running shoes is essential. You will get shin splints or sore knees after a week or two if you try to run in skateboard shoes or other generic shoes. Especially if you are overweight this is a must, or you'll hurt yourself.

- Don't push yourself too hard. You can only build up muscle and stamina so fast. The NHS Couch To 5K goes at a perfect pace for this in my opinion. It makes sure that you're making constant progress and pushing yourself, but not so far that you get injured.

Now is the perfect time of year to start running... while it's a bit cooler but before it's freezing. Running in July and August was rough.

Edited by Yarco

44 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

I just got my running shoes today I'm excited to begin my running habit soon. 

I practice my running stride today and noticed I still felt mild pain in the shins after 2 months of not running. It's not serious pain more like the feeling your muscles get when you use them a lot like exercise. Is this shin splints? How painful do my shins have to be to know its shin splints?

Awesome! 

Make sure to break them in properly before making a judgment on how they feel. 

You'll probably feel mild pain when you're starting out, just make sure to start out slowly.

If you have a wide forefoot, you can try and re-lace them. So you skip crossing the laces in the middle point of the shoe. 

I'm recently trying it out after my leg started to go numb on runs for some unknown reason. 

Capture.PNG

5 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

@fridjonk whats a good duration to run for? 

And thank you I was pretty disappointed today after running and having pain in my shins, I'm feeling better now though. 

So its normal to feel pain in your legs when you begin running? I keep thinking you aren't supposed to have pain. 

You can start with just walking even. It depends on how bad it is. Maybe run until it starts to hurt, then walk for a while, then run again. My dad has had pretty bad shin splints, for him it worked to push through the pain, then it stopped, although that's not going to work for everyone. 

I can understand your disappointment, when I got my shoes first, I had this stabbing pain under my foot after every run, but after using them enough, it went away thankfully. If it doesn't work at all after some usage, look into getting custom insoles.

https://www.reddit.com/r/running/comments/y7l3f/the_ultimate_guide_to_shin_splints/ 

I absolutely love running out in nature and afterwards listening to spiritual music by Kevin James and practicing Mahamudra stretching: 

On 2020-10-28 at 3:38 AM, fridjonk said:

After I started working on loosening my hip flexors, strengthening my glutes, hamstrings, and quads it all got a lot better and smoother.  

@fridjonk What exercises did you do to strengthen your glues, hamstrings, and quads? I’m kinda confused on what to do. 

@Akemrelax You just need to start doing some basic leg strengthening exercises. Start by doing squats, lunges, and hip thrusters every day or every other day depending on how good of a shape you're in (with 1-2 rest days). You'll build a good amount of strength within 2-4 weeks in your legs - And remember to stretch. 

i think it's jogging time again guys

On 28.10.2020 at 11:38 AM, fridjonk said:

It's from an Icelandic company, but you can probably find something similar. Main ingredients are: 

• hyaluronic acid 20mg
  • polysaccharides 3.2mg
  • collagen 1.6mg
  • chondroitin sulfphate 200mg
  • Vitamin-C 60mg
  • Omega-3 fatty acids 620mg

I'll look into some joint and knee supps too, i found some but most are fortified with some vitamins which i don't need.