legendary

Let's get Sean Carroll on Actualized.org for a discussion about Science

32 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Mikael89 said:

You recommend him to watch Leo's "Deconstructing the myth of science" series, right? Or at least mentioned it.

Yes. I shared Part-1 so that he could have a baseline for where Leo is coming from.

We are enslaved by anything we do not consciously see. We are freed by conscious perception.

- Vernon Howard

Should try Sam Harris instead, you may need to settle with mere thought experiments, but who knows what may come of it.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

Id like to see Leo talking to Daniel Dennett, he would probably eat his own beard in frustration. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Sean Carroll is a great communicator but he can be very arrogant. I've listened to a debate with Sam Harris and he made a fool out of him. I don't think he would resonate with any of Leo's ideas. It would be great if Leo would do a video with MorgueOfficial. What do you think? PS. Not for the science episode, but as a guest in the future.

Edited by Member

1 hour ago, Javfly33 said:

@Michal__ 

Nicotine a nootropic. Sure, an stimulating high that lasts 3 minutes, and that it literally produces anxiety for +10minutes afterwards if you don´t have tolerance to it. 

Nicotine is one of the shittiest things i´ve tried. Basically almost any drug is superior to nicotine.

What form? Sounds to me like vaping/cigarettes.

I was talking about other forms of taking nicotine, which sure as hell doesn't last only 3 minutes.

When done right and in small amounts it's no different than having some l-theanine with your coffee. ;)

Message me if you want to discuss this so we don't turn this thread into a discussion about nicotine.

Edited by Michal__

4 hours ago, Reciprocality said:

Sam Harris

4 hours ago, Rilles said:

Daniel Dennett

I don't believe they would agree to the interview without having the control of the frame, them being the interviewers. xD

There are also videos on YT with Dennett and Rupert Sheldrake, who holds similar positions to Leo, and they are not that fascinating. Dennett in debates is beating around the bush and tries to tell others that they are not professional philosophers, so they don't have the required rigour when making their claims. Would be boring I think. People like Sam Harris or Dennett would try to turn an interview with Leo into an ego game.

I could be wrong, though, maybe it would be gold.

Edited by Girzo

Leo himself says in the video " I don't consider people like Sam Harris.. Richard Dawkins etc to be real scientists. They are more of a public intellectuals". So forget about it. 

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

4 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Lol

Joe Rogan presents no existential threat to Sean Carroll.

I do.

After talking to me, Sean will be in a depression for a month curled up in a fetal position in the corner of his CalTech office.

I meant in the sense that he's open for an interview with virtually any credible person. I actually think he'd be open to discussing science and epistemology. He'll probably underestimate the depth and implications value of how you yourself would present the ideas but in terms of actually accepting an interview, I think he's generally open. 

The other guy mentioned that he decline the offer for an interview with you because he has his own podcast. I'd like to see you in his podcast and break down science for him. That'd be entertaining as fuck. 

22 minutes ago, Free Mind said:

??????????????? 

Hey! Hes the one of the four horsemen of atheism! Give gratitude! Without him we would still be in stage Blue! ;) 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

As much as I'd like to see Leo discuss science with somebody, I kinda think it's a tall order right now, since most scientists and public intellectuals don't want to have someone dismantle their worldview in front of them. How do you even pitch that interview in a way that makes a scientist actually want to participate in it? Leo might have a million subscribers but he's still far from being a well known public figure who could pull big guests on clout alone. I'd bet a lot of people who would otherwise be good candidates for this discussion who haven't heard of Leo before might look him up and be like "whats this woo woo crap? I'm not talking to this guy."

Folks, many of you have great ideas for which scientists/public intellectuals would be a good fit for a discussion with Leo (or at the very least, benefit from watching the series)

Why not contact them and see what happens?

It's all about helping improve Science ?

We are enslaved by anything we do not consciously see. We are freed by conscious perception.

- Vernon Howard