Chives99

Stiff back from long determination sits

14 posts in this topic

I don't want to do myself any damage and end up with back problems from being in this rigid position, am I inflexible and just need to stretch and exercise more and tough it out?   or is this a legitimate concern? Am I being a softy here? 

"You have to allow yourself to not know"- Peter Ralston

Get a good office chair with arm rests and sit in that. The foot goes under your butt.

chair.png

I used to sit for hours while fighting back pain due to sub-optimal posture and/or sitting conditions, despite spending 30 minutes everyday stretching every muscle in my body, despite working out 4 times a week and never eating garbage. Then I gave up sitting in stupid places and just wanted to sit as relaxed as possible, and that shot my meditation habit to a completely another level.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

Why do you have to do this painful crap? Very unnecessary. I have had more 10 awakenings and my life has completely changed, by just being a complete sloth ?

Just do the most comfortable and enjoyable meditation you can find, or even better: TRIP! 

Edited by cuteguy

@Chives99 I'm curious. So do you find your back to be a larger issue than leg numbness and pain? 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Find a seat where your back don't hurt.

Back pain can be sourced by many other problems. Chiros can help with that.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I damaged my knee seriously (meniscus tear) sitting cross-leged in a Vipassana long course and not listening to my body. I had issues with it for years until I started paying serious attention to it. Now as long as I just listen everything works fine. I can run, lift weights etc, even sit cross leged (with awarness and care of my knees), no problem. Every part is trying to speak to you. It is good to listen and to look after every part of the body. I see them all as having their own self and do my best to care for their needs. Every part is so very happy to serve you, it doesn't take much, just some attention. ^_^

Everything IS LOVE, everything is music... :x

40 minutes ago, Marten said:

I damaged my knee seriously (meniscus tear) sitting cross-leged in a Vipassana long course and not listening to my body. I had issues with it for years until I started paying serious attention to it. Now as long as I just listen everything works fine.

That is also a danger of ignoring your body's signals. For me, it also fueled my tendencies towards repressing emotions. I was able to numb out physical pain, and that made me more able to numb out emotional pain without processing it.

The way I solved that was by doing crying meditation, which is essentially you just probing for tensions in the body (primarily gut area) and trying to provoke a discharge of stuck emotional energy. You do that by facing the emotion head-on and willfully feeling all of it in its fullest form.

Releasing pent-up emotions is like pouring love into your body, and it leaves you in a much more peaceful and conscious state of being. The energy from other forms of meditation will only go to waste if you put it inside a broken body, and infact it can become detrimental to your functioning in many ways.

Edited by Carl-Richard

On 11/2/2020 at 4:41 AM, lmfao said:

@Chives99 I'm curious. So do you find your back to be a larger issue than leg numbness and pain? 

legs dont bother me at all, its sitting upright with back straight

Just now, Chives99 said:

legs dont bother me at all, its sitting upright with back straight

Where do you usually sit?

On 11/2/2020 at 4:53 AM, Leo Gura said:

Find a seat where your back don't hurt.

Back pain can be sourced by many other problems. Chiros can help with that.

Thai massage will do fine

3 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

on a carpet, the location is irrelavent its my back

9 minutes ago, Chives99 said:

on a carpet, the location is irrelavent its my back

Do you have something that supports your back?

1 hour ago, Carl-Richard said:

i could use  a chair i guess

You need a good mechanical aligment while sitting you must sit on the bones of the pelvis and your pelvis must be thucked under your spine so everything is straight your shoulders must be open(clavicar bones open on each side) squeez your glutes it will help with that and your abs best to learn this laying down on the floor first...

Lower back pain comes from sitting with overextension and back could be straight but it doesnt matter if pelvis is not in right place

Who teaches us whats real and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend?Who chain us? And who holds the Key that can set us free? 

It's you.

You have all the weapons you need 

Now fight.