pluto8

Public Lotus

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am sure yall know of the meditation position w/ the pointer fingers/thumbs connecting to form loops....

Ok well, I was thinking about going to a public park and sitting like that under a tree because for some reason it would be hard for me. 

... .... .... 

Anyone think its a good idea? Bad idea? Any other thoughts? Seems interesting for some reason.

Anyways, theres definitely more I could have said, but im keeping this simple.

:) <3

Edited by pluto8

@pluto8 That‘s a great idea! Whenever I meditate in public it increases my body awareness immensely and it is a great opportunity to observe all the thoughts popping up about what other people look like that cross my way while my eyes are closed and I don‘t see anyone. Definitely try it and let us know how it went!?

Depends where you live, and if you mind what reaction you get. Somewhere multicultural and liberal, chances are no-one will bat an eyelid. Conservative and monocultural areas, you'll get some looks and name calling, but how would you react to it? 

Might get some funny looks if it's cold weather lol! I think its a great idea too btw, but not sure if I'm brave enough :)

@silene

The whole reaction thing is why it would be hard for me to do this. I doubt I would get an actual reaction but it would still be quite hard for me to forget about reactions that might be going on inside peoples heads.

I have actually done this before lol. Its different now that Ive crossed it off the list, probs harder...

@everythingisnothing My body awareness goes up even if im not meditating. ... ... Hard for me to really let go around most people, but whatevs. 

Either of you two(or anyone else) think lotus in public would help to positively impact/influence people?

Edited by pluto8

51 minutes ago, pluto8 said:

Either of you two(or anyone else) think lotus in public would help to positively impact/influence people?

Well, round here in the UK, meditation, yoga, mindfulness etc is becoming better known and respected, so seeing more people doing it helps to make it more mainstream and plants seeds in some people's minds about starting or renewing a practice. I've sometimes meditated cross legged in the remote countryside while nobody was watching, once while meditating by a river, some people did see me. Nothing much happened apart from triggering some stories in my mind, as a by product of my anxieties about what others think of me. 

Edited by silene

32 minutes ago, silene said:

triggering some stories in my mind, as a by product of my anxieties about what others think of me. 

Interesting. Were your pointer finger/thumb in a loop?

I feel like the only real way for people to know if the loop serves a purpose is if they actually get to a high enough level of meditation to realize whether or not it does. My purpose for it does not go beyond the social aspect of people noticing me/the loop, but maybe in the future it will (idk). 

Also, I feel like one would have to be at a very high level to figure out the loop thing. Such a high level that I wouldnt really be worried about them seeing me lol.

Anyways, I think the look of someone in that position definitely symbolizes perfection(in a way) and peace, ya know? There could actually be something to it.......

Edited by pluto8

@pluto8  I didn't realise the hand posture was so important. I don't usually do the loop (Gyana Mudra?), only occasionally for yoga. I normally do Dhyana mudra, right hand over left in my lap. More out of habit I suppose, from when I practiced Buddhism, now it's just comfortable. Probably the loop stands out more in public though.