X_X

Have you achieved a fair level of emotional mastery?

34 posts in this topic

If not, how are you trying?

I'd love to hear your stories. ?

Yup. It took only 5 times of shamanic breathing and a concious effort to feel the emotions as fully as i can and release them, as well growing the body awereness. My emotional state is transformed. 

I would say so, I very rarely get angry, I sometimes want lash out in comment sections but then I hold back which shows I have a good distance between my emotions and my actions. Still have a big problem sitting with fear though, thats something to I have to work on. 

Edited by Rilles

Dont look at me! Look inside!

It's a very broad field and extremely beneficial to get into.

Some topics that come to mind: Being aware of how thought, belief and story shape your emotions, releasing emotions (e.g. Sedona Method) and learning about different emotional states and stages.

Your level of consciousness is directly reflected by your emotions.

Still waiting for Leo's "Understanding Emotions Part II" :x

There's always another level. I avoid comparing myself to others. 

Emotional mastery has so many layers and levels as well though, not just in relation to emotionality, of which I'm at a pretty high level now, but in terms of attachment style to individual, group, ideology, autobiography and any residual trauma still not processed and released from the body.

Once you reach past a certain level though, you just have to let it all go and manage your progress with everything else as like I said there's always another level and so there's a level of perfectionism you have to separate yourself from.

14 minutes ago, Origins said:

of which I'm at a pretty high level now,

In terms of ability to direct, regulate and modulate not that I'm highly emotional. 

I'd argue that the stereotypical view of emotionality is simply a lack of directionality anyhow because with the right direction we're talking about a highly motivated person towards their actualisation. Another distinction there is in relation to biological sensitivity, which people often confuse with emotionality and vice versa.

7 minutes ago, from chaos into self said:

Emotional mastery is overrated. Master your actions, let emotions run free.

This.  

Emotions are a gift.  They are a sign that you are alive.

According to my friends, I never get angry. I guess that's atleast something.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

I would say so at some areas. In the past i would have the urge when watching a movie or leos videos to multitask by doing something else at the same time but now I can just sit and listen/watching the movie without feeling the need to be distracted and I feel like more and more I can make my self do things which I should do even if I don't feel like it, for example, reading for an hour when you don't feel like reading. I never really had a anger problems.

Also I still have some anxiety but whenever it comes I try to just let it go(or first fully feel it and then let it go) and be free of worry.   

Edited by BjarkeT

3 minutes ago, K Ghoul said:

That’s so cool :) I, on the other hand, get pissed off easily, last year at work I even got a nice set of candles for Christmas that was supposed to “keep me calm” lol I still get pissed off on a regular basis for various reasons, candles don’t work on me.

I think it's mostly a personality thing, although I used to get angry more often before I started meditating. Then again, I was also a teenager, so who knows :P

@Carl-Richard Not getting angry isn't a virtue. 

I won't take that further though because I'm no longer going to comment to commenter's really unless its the OP. 

[Edit: didn't want to delete for no reason perhaps you saw the initial comment so making clarification as to my intentions. That's all that really needs to be said]

Edited by Origins

1 hour ago, Origins said:

@Carl-Richard Not getting angry isn't a virtue. 

But is it a sign of emotional mastery?

Yes, I have achieved emotional mastery.  Although I believe it's impossible to "never get angry" if you are a physical being you will most likely always run into a situation where you chemistry may influence you into that sort of state.

Once you achieve emotional mastery it almost becomes telepathic and you will most likely lose some of your friends because they are "afraid" they think you know what they are thinking.

I am sorry I cannot answer the second part of your question because I feel like I have achieved empathetic mastery.

Edited by blandana

2 hours ago, from chaos into self said:

Emotional mastery is overrated. Master your actions, let emotions run free.

Mastery over actions is important and so is letting your emotions run free so that you don't repress it.

However think of it in a scenario like this. Say you get angry. Mastering your actions would help you not get super reactive to where you would do something you get. But what if you don't get that angry in the first place

I would add that there is a way  to control your emotions without repressing them. One of the reasons why emotions hit so hard is because there is some underlying wound it's picking at, usually because of trauma. For instance if there is a guy that makes fun of you and insults you where it hurts (because of trauma, that particular thing is more vulnerable for you), you will probably have your emotions all over the place regardless of whether if you take action against him. If you didn't have that trauma/wound, that insult would just brush off of you of if it hurts it won't hurt that much. In order to heal, you can't repress. 

Therefore one of the biggest things you can do is heal any traumas and trigger, big or small. Then whatever emotional experience is left can be dealt with feeling it presently and completely. If you feel into your feelings presently and completely, you won't repress anything and after processing it you won't have that much trauma left over.

Also, something that helps is separating the feeling from the feeler. You aren't your emotions, you are the one experiencing the emotion. Knowing this can help not internalizing feelings so that we can experience them and release them accordingly. When it comes to negative emotions, we can also acknowledge this as a passing state rather than assume that this despair will last forever. It will only last forever if you think it will and if you hold on to it. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

1 minute ago, soos_mite_ah said:

One of the reasons why emotions hit so hard is because there is some underlying wound it's picking at, usually because of trauma. For instance if there is a guy that makes fun of you and insults you where it hurts (because of trauma, that particular thing is more vulnerable for you), you will probably have your emotions all over the place regardless of whether if you take action against him.

True, but learning there isn't one person who does that is also important.  It's very important to classify the same type of human as a sociopath who has no value to your emotional state (I believe, I apologize if this type of opinion is out of bounds)  if they are just trying to harass you as opposed to just "getting angry" and looking past it.

Edited by blandana

15 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

But is it a sign of emotional mastery?

Depends, if you're not getting angry because you repress anger and aren't comfortable expressing it, that is not a sign of emotional mastery. It's the opposite. 

Anger can tell us if our boundaries are getting crossed and then we can see how to go about it (either communicating setting boundaries, reinforcing them, leaving a toxic situation, or if it ticks you off for a bad reason examine what wound is being picked at). Anger, when it isn't reactive or volatile, is a useful emotion and can give good insight.

However if you don't get angry often because you genuinely don't feel anger, then yeah that could be emotional mastery. If you aren't getting angry often it could mean that you already did things like healing from wounds that could get picked at, setting boundaries, left a toxic situation. In other words, the alarm bells aren't going off because there isn't anything to be alarmed about. 

I have faith in the person I am becoming xD

https://www.theupwardspiral.blog/

2 minutes ago, soos_mite_ah said:

Depends, if you're not getting angry because you repress anger and aren't comfortable expressing it, that is not a sign of emotional mastery. It's the opposite. 

Yes patrick, this is true.  Even if someone is getting angry because of your actions it does not mean you are doing something right.  There is a silly little phrase that has been passed down on the internet and memes that if you are making someone angry you are "doing something right" and will get a reward.

That is entirely untrue.

You would get angry (I believe) if I fed your pet bad food and I said it was fresh and your pet gets sick. That does not make me a good person, it makes me a bad person who wanted to save a dollar and doesn't expect you to sue me because I believed you didn't have enough money to take the situation into court.  Etc

Edited by blandana