Someone here

Quitting smoking.

52 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, BlackMaze said:

thanks for thinking that i  made some progress but this is unfortunately not true because i fell back to smoking again but at least i learned some things and i know that it's possible and easier than every smoker believes. 

That's ok, It is hard to quit cold turkey, the important thing is that mentally you are already a non-smoker, it is just the chemical dependence that needs to be tackled which is not easy and will take more time. That takes very slow gradual process that often feels like two steps forward, one step back. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

The only way I quit was through cold turkey...3 years ago, after reading Allen Carr for probably the 4th time. I smoked for several decades a pack a day. Now, its like I never smoked.

Nicotine replacements imo are a joke. I tried to quit smoking dozens of times, before it stuck for good.

Edit: ...and don't let anyone make you "feel better" for being an addict, which you know you are. That is the truth! How do I know? Because, I was an addict, as far as nicotine and had been hooked on nicotine for a longgg time and ppl babying me with my nicotine addiction didn't help me at all. They just gave me excuses to be weak and stay addicted.

Cold turkey is the way to go, with no excuses. That's how you break free of the addiction. Never, ever have "just one", because then you're starting all over or you might not start over, which would be worse.

"Eight hours after putting out a cigarette, you are 97% nicotine-free. After just three days of not smoking, you are 100% nicotine-free."

Allen Carr, The Easyway to Stop Smoking

Edited by Ananta

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Thanks for the support @Michael569

But the truth is that i'm still addicted. 

I agree with @Ananta that cold turkey is the only real way to go, just reducing the amount i smoke for me personally is like torture, i get very irritated etc. In those 2 weeks that i didn's smoke i didn't experienced that at all. As ananta said even one is bad enough and the worse that can happen is that you don't try again or you postpone it for a long time and this is what i see myself currently doing. 

@BlackMaze I'm reading the book. Very powerful stuff. 

@Natashaeye-opening stuff. Motivation by fear of the consequences seems to work with me.

@AnantaI agree. Cold turkey is the way to go. And that's my plan. 

Almost a week clean. Will keep going.

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

2 hours ago, Someone here said:

@AnantaI agree. Cold turkey is the way to go. And that's my plan. 

Almost a week clean. Will keep going.

Its not easy, but worth it in the end. 

Good luck with it all.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

@Ananta thank you Ananta. Appreciate your support :)

-Osho

5 hours ago, Someone here said:

@Ananta thank you Ananta. Appreciate your support :)

Your welcome ❤ 

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

On 1/11/2020 at 11:30 PM, Ananta said:

"Eight hours after putting out a cigarette, you are 97% nicotine-free. After just three days of not smoking, you are 100% nicotine-free."

Allen Carr, The Easyway to Stop Smoking

Maybe you have the old edition? 

Because i am reading his book again and he says that it takes 3 weeks for 99% of nicotine to leave your body. 

Edited by BlackMaze

3 hours ago, BlackMaze said:

Maybe you have the old edition? 

Because i am reading his book again and he says that it takes 3 weeks for 99% of nicotine to leave your body. 

My dad was a heavy smoker, so I was exposed to second hand smoke growing up, though never smoked myself. A few years ago I went to a holistic doc for a full body detox. They tested me on different toxins and heavy metals and what do you know, there were still traces of toxins lingering in my body from my dad's smoking even decades later. So it's important to follow up quitting with a full body detox to get rid of any trace of smoke. Find a holistic doc in the area and get tested, a sure way to know your system is free of toxic waste or needs a good cleanse/detox.

@Ananta I found more hard to let go of the psychological addiction more than the physical one (nicotine). I probably had cravings until the 3 month mark. Of course the 90% of them were in the first two weeks. But I find that "in 3 days you are 100% nicotine free" a little too naive.

18 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

@Ananta I found more hard to let go of the psychological addiction more than the physical one (nicotine). I probably had cravings until the 3 month mark. Of course the 90% of them were in the first two weeks. But I find that "in 3 days you are 100% nicotine free" a little too naive.

Yes, I know its also a psychological addiction...I smoked for decades and tried quiting a dozen times before it stuck. My stats were from an older version of the book apparently, but it helped me none the less. I'm smoke free now.

Edited by Ananta

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

17 days clean. The longer abstinence period I ever did lol. I'm so fucking happy. Let's go. 

-Osho

Well done bro keep it up!! ?

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 11/11/2020 at 6:09 PM, Someone here said:

17 days clean. The longer abstinence period I ever did lol. I'm so fucking happy. Let's go. 

I remember thinking after I quit that the cravings really get exceptionally better after a month, but even then it was touch and go if I was around anyone who was smoking or vaping. So, constant vigilance is needed, until its not.

Keep it up❤

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

Relapse. I messed up big time im so upset.

-Osho

I guess I do it subconsciously. After years of do it automatically I find my hands automatically slip into the cigarette pack and takes one to smoke it. 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

Don't worry. You will try again. It was a great try lasting for so long. Unfortunately even one is enough to relapse and by this point i proved it to myself many times. When you feel like it quit again.