Guest EmptyVase

Mastery Examples Mega-Thread

327 posts in this topic

@RendHeaven

I like that idea. It's sometimes worth pointing that out, especially when someone sees mastery somewhere, where others do not see it. Nice point!

With that being said, it's easy to justify anything as mastery - as everything, in a sense, is mastery. Creation is mastery. Existence is mastery.

This thread is highly relative.

6 hours ago, EmptyVase said:

With that being said, it's easy to justify anything as mastery - as everything, in a sense, is mastery. Creation is mastery. Existence is mastery.

Exactly, and yet at the same time, this thread is specifically NOT a collection of "people doing things very good."

Rather, it's a collection of "people embodying mastery."

A lot of the videos I see on here seem to be merely "people doing things very good."

This can either be because maybe I am too close-minded, or maybe the people posting don't actually understand mastery (or maybe both).

This is why it's worth sharing a descriptive sentence or two - it's a way for us to all learn and grow.

Simply throwing out a video of someone appearing to do things "very good" and therefore implicitly declaring that this is mastery can be misleading and anti-growth IMO :)

Edited by RendHeaven

It's Love.

@RendHeaven

I like that idea. It's sometimes worth pointing that out, especially when someone sees mastery somewhere, where others do not see it. Nice point!

So we've defined a spectrum of constraint: The_Alchemist defines the anarchistic end, RendHeaven is the conservative end, and I'm in the middle. Where do you fit on that spectrum? :P 

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@RendHeaven 

I see that. But distinguishing "people doing things very good" and "mastery" is very thin ice. Going around and saying 'this is mastery and this isn't' may just cause unnecessary trouble. I still like the idea of writing down, what makes "content x" mastery (obviously only if the poster wants to write about it). Other than that, I think we should not be too nitpicky about all of this. It's just a thread in an online forum, not an art gallery. :)

@Carl-Richard

Duhh, hovering above all of you?! Jk jk. I just want to post some content. I'm not really that interested in debating at all.

22 hours ago, RendHeaven said:

It'd be nice if posters would explain what about their shared videos in their own words strikes them as mastery (as differentiated from simply "very good")

Conversely it'd be nice if whiners explained how it's not mastery, so let's dive into em

Sidney Crosby, top 5 all time/10s of thousands of players doing what he does best

Alex Ovechkin, greatest goal scorer of all time if not , top 2 at worst
Mike Tyson, sraight forward
Leonardo Da Vinci, straight forward, GOAT human being
Van Gogh, most underappreciated during his time
Jon Jones, most title defenses ever
Glass artist, something very few can even come close to
GSP, one of the greatest MMA artists of all time
Jim Simons, most successful investor of all time
Eminem, arguably greatest rapper of all time
Zyzz, influenced every single fitness icon today, a physique still not matched
Be prolific, attitude of Picasso, one of the most prolific artists of all time
Jeff Seid, at one point was the youngest IFBB pro ever
Humor, all of these are unmatched

Lana Del Rey, no one fuses the old with the new like her
Mastery book, mastery mindset
Fedor, GOAT MMA artist

Greyson Chance, amazing cover by someone extremely young
Common character traits of genius, important to know ye?
Kobe, straight forward

Frank Yang, 3x squat 15 years ago
Nietzsche, straight forward
NHL compilations, best ones out there that I'm aware of
Drummers, showing us that you can be a master no matter where you are, always putting your best foot forward, mastery attitude
Trance songs, most chill I ever heard, knew of them for nearly a decade
Elon Musk, straight forward
Kanye, above
Paulo Coelho, probably the most successful fiction writer of all time?
Tom Brady, GOAT QB
Malcolm Gladwell, mastery attitude that he himself reached
Talking Funny, funniest comedians of all time
Obama, fist black president
Seinfeld, probably the most popular tv show of all time
Steve Jobs, straight forward
Warren Buffet, similar to Simons, but less secretive
Jay Z, up there with eminem, many have him over
Floyd Mayweather, easily best in his class and argubaly one of the best ever
Lee Priest, only Shawn Ray can say he was a better shorter bodybuilder
Flex Wheeler, most aesthetic bodybuilder of all time
Passion for Bodybuilding, exemplifying the mastery of bodybuilding

As Tai Lopez says, nitpickers are never successful, at worst I'm what? 90%? 90% compared to??????

It's crazy people wanna argue this and NOT post mastery videos, but as Charlie Munger says "people would rather die than think," whining certainly FEELS good!

"Ignore complainers and the news" Naval

One thing I realized achieving financial independency and being able to shower people with gifts, anyone and everyone is that people don't care.

I can give gifts.
I can not give a gift.
I can give a gift and offer to help people with all my might; time/knowledge/money/action/emotion.

People literally DGAF, I was literally in awe, I was under the impression that people enjoyed good people, but one thing is people ALWAYS see what is in their heart, just like this thread, people wanna cry because they are cry babies. It has nothing to do with my posts at all, just as my explanation will NOT suffice for these with NO arguments (rofl)

"When a thing disturbs the peace of your heart, give it up. You do not do evil to those who do evil to you, but you deal with them with forgiveness and kindness" Mohammad

"Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people we don't like" Oscar Wilde

“People hasten to judge in order not to be judged themselves.” – Albert Camus

"If we want to be fair judges of all matters, let's convince ourselves first of all this; NONE of us is without guilt" Seneca

"When you are offended by any man's fault, turn to yourself and study your own failings. Then you will forget your anger." ~ Epictetus

Robert Greene wrote mastery

Mastery mindset :)

But distinguishing "people doing things very good" and "mastery" is very thin ice. Going around and saying 'this is mastery and this isn't' may just cause unnecessary trouble.

It's actually not thin ice at all. Mastery (as taught by George Leonard, Robert Greene, Leo, and even you in your original post) is universally recognized as one's unyielding commitment to an unfolding process. You actually said it best:

• [Mastery] brings rich rewards yet is not really a goal or a destination but rather a process, a journey

• Practice: the path of mastery, exists only in the present

This is precisely why it makes sense to say that reality/existence = mastery.

We don't call reality/existence "mastery" because it does some things "very good." See this difference? It's quite a large gap. The journey is essential, the destination is a symptom :)

Notice that someone can have a certain gift that makes them appear masterful to others, but they themselves aren't actually on the path of mastery.

Many of the clips in this thread tend to show off the flashy public victories. But that is fundamentally not the essence of mastery. Mastery at its core is a private thing. The commitment to an unfolding process is renewed time and time again in solitude. There has never been a public-made master, ever. Even Jesus had to undergo 40 days of solitude in the desert before becoming a public figure (well the devil was technically there too, but the devil was himself so ;)).

You may notice that we're now in a spot where it becomes hard to "showcase" mastery in its essence. Nobody films their mastery happening behind closed doors. In fact, Leo tried that but got bullied for it lol. It seems like flashy public victories (symptoms) is all we have access to.

Hence my suggestion for including a written description of how that flashy public victory actually stems from a deeper commitment which may not be obvious from the video itself.

Earlier I dropped a video of Jacob Collier playing piano without any words. Let's fix that: What makes him a master in my eyes is his obscene skill (across multiple instruments) coupled with his emotionally open attitude which has been honed throughout the years (you can actually track his progress by digging through the history of his YT channel!). He talks about music as though it were his child. He frequently speaks about how music is an explorative process for him: he will spend days in his room on his keyboard just to hear and immerse himself in new and interesting sounds. This guy has dreams bigger than himself and every year you can see him rising to those dreams.

So you see, his mastery goes beyond just playing the piano really well.

I think we should not be too nitpicky about all of this.

It's just an innocent suggestion lol ;)

I have strong opinions, but I don't expect anything to change.

It's Love.

@The_Alchemist This is so rich, lol. The projections and name calling are hysterical. I don't even know how to respond xD

I don't think you understand mastery. 

It's Love.

@RendHeaven

My judgement has failed me a lot of times, so it's actually my judgement, which is that thin ice.

I mostly agree with what you wrote, so I got nothing more to add. Nice view you gave there. :)

On 12/17/2020 at 5:46 PM, RendHeaven said:

@The_Alchemist This is so rich, lol. The projections and name calling are hysterical. I don't even know how to respond xD

I don't think you understand mastery. 

Yeah you got btfod, guess which one you are

1-155.jpg

DEFEATED
LMFAO

Btw loving your mastery posts, really good content as always, you are a true master at NOT being a master ROFLLLLL