seaneyboyjazz

Can You Turn Your Life Around Suddenly ?

10 posts in this topic

I want to completely eliminate my old bad habits and install new better ones before I go into college (which is in 2 weeks). Is that possible ? 

Building new habits is emotionally draining and if you are like most people, you are not succesful at building new habits. 

If you are in that category, do not overcompensate with more habits at a time. Even though it may seem more impressing and meaningful, it won't last long  term - not even close. You are most likely just going to disappoint yourself in the end.

I reccomend to Start with one tiny habit - the key is consistency. It is much better to start with a simple 20-minute meditation habit do that every day until it sticks then building on that rather than to start with 6 different habits at once and only stick with them for 2 weeks. 

@seaneyboyjazz What bad habits do you want to eliminate? What habits do you want to build? Habits i've implemented are daily, stream of consciousness creative writing, and preparing a great bedtime by taking melatonin and hot tea and good study habits like a schedule and using my weekends to recharge myself and relax and do some work. I also focus on getting academic help i need! Instead of eliminating bad habits, consider the possibility that there are alternatives to bad habits. 

Yeah good point @Christian. I should try 1 habit a time to make it consistent. @Zane The main bad habits I won't to eliminate are Bad Diet, Internet and Judging. The main 3 main habits I want to build are are Life purpose work, meditation and exercising 

Great habits to want to build in your life! For bad diet, maybe look for healthy alternatives and have a consistent gym plan you can stick to. For Internet, you can set yourself a daily time limit without eliminating Internet. I tend to make judgements myself! For life purpose, you can brainstorm potential life purposes and act on them and for meditation, you can do very simple meditation for a half hour every day. @seaneyboyjazz

Of course you can. The real question is, can you maintain the change long term, or will you slowly fall back into the old habits after a few months. 

You'll need at least 1 month to make a new habit stick.
Just to be sure, do it for 2 months without interruption.

You can't do everything at once, it won't work, watch the "How To Stop Backsliding - How To Stop Procrastinating" video from Leo to make it more clear and a mark in your subconscious mind.

I recommand to make meditation your first new habit, because it makes you more conscious, calm and decisive about life in general. You WILL failed to maintain the meditation habit for several months, but don't worry, it will stick after 3+ months (maybe less if you have a strong will).
I started with 20 minutes the first month, 25 minutes the 2nd (add 5 minutes every month), now I'm at something like 1/2 hours per day.
I'm in a special situation which allows me to do that, it's not necessary to do that much so early on.

I only started to meditate 3 months ago, now I'm starting to sense the pre-thought coming, most of the time I can tell my mind to shut up/to concentrate on a specific task.
I realized I almost never think about my past or my future anymore (except when I need/want to think about it), which leaves me in a tranquility mindset all day long.
It may take you way more than 3 months of meditation to get there, I did a lot of self-inquiry (without knowing what it was) before starting this habit though.

Edited by Flo