rnd

Can one ever describe himself as "I'm smart"?

17 posts in this topic

If one describes himself "I'm smart..."  (and, perhaps, other things) it already implies that one isn't smart, doesn't it?

For if one was smart, one would release that:

a) one is, probably, being biased towards himself

b) smart compared to whom? is it a binary thing at all? smart in all circumstances? how can smartness be measured? and by whom? by IQ test? Is IQ accurate at all and does a high IQ score really means smartness?

Yeah saying you're smart is another way of saying that other people are not as smart as you. Thing is there are so many different types of intelligence, emotional, creative, physical, to just blanketly say you're smart is very limited. It's an ego trick of trying to always be better in some way than others

You are only as smart as you stand it innocent in the face of, therefore it will remain irrelevant wheter the ego has projected onto it. Or rather that you can not deduce the validity nor invalidity of the claim by the actuality of the claim. You can induce by generalities though, but the road from there to cynicism is short if applied to specifics such as the one examplified in the post.

I see the first sentence easily induces confusion, but try to look at it in the other way it can be looked at haha.

Edited by Reciprocality

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

An individual can only be smarter than another in his own eyes if he identifies with his intelligence.

Edited by Byun Sean

I AM ____________ is always false.

Anything that comes after I AM is duality.

There's a world of difference between saying something like "I'm a man" and "I'm smart".  

You can be smart in many different areas but very dense in others. Whereas you are man in all contexts (if you are one). Basically smartness is relative and multidimensional, and as such can't be mapped to a one dimensional datum. IQ is bollocks.

There's also the question of being able to regurgitate facts, is that really smartness? Is a virtuoso pianist smart? Or just well practiced? It's not so obvious what smart means.

Also, using fancy words ^^^ doesn't make you smart ;)

All stories and explanations are false.

14 minutes ago, Meta-Man said:

Is there though? 

I think I smell a relativist argument in the air. Would you like to qualify the comment further?

On 18/10/2020 at 10:11 AM, rnd said:

If one describes himself "I'm smart..."  (and, perhaps, other things) it already implies that one isn't smart, doesn't it?

Not necessarily.

On 18/10/2020 at 10:11 AM, rnd said:

b) smart compared to whom? is it a binary thing at all? smart in all circumstances? how can smartness be measured? and by whom? by IQ test? Is IQ accurate at all and does a high IQ score really means smartness?

a) Not necessarily. They could be stating an objective fact. Or if they're being biased, to call themselves smart makes them even smarter, because then some people will likely buy it and become objects of control for that claiming-to-be-smart person.

b) Smart compared to the people known by both the speaker and the audience. The details don't matter much. Smartness is not a focused concept. It is rather fluid/gelatinous and slippery. The whole point of the concept is that you can't measure it because if you try to, it will cease to have value. And what's the point of a concept with no value?

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

2 hours ago, Meta-Man said:

Orly?

For the benefit of the other less smart people reading this thread. Would you like to clarify even further?

@Meta-Man your relativity has worn me down. I tap out. I cannot define a man any more than I can define being smart.  They are both as relative as each other. Sometimes you're a man, sometimes not, it all depends on who knows what.

I have learned one thing though: not to argue with a relativist.

Anyway I re-iterate:

4 hours ago, LastThursday said:

There's a world of difference between saying something like "I'm a man" and "I'm smart".  

You can be smart in many different areas but very dense in others. Whereas you are man in all contexts (if you are one). Basically smartness is relative and multidimensional, and as such can't be mapped to a one dimensional datum. IQ is bollocks.

There's also the question of being able to regurgitate facts, is that really smartness? Is a virtuoso pianist smart? Or just well practiced? It's not so obvious what smart means.

Also, using fancy words ^^^ doesn't make you smart ;)

Edited by LastThursday

On 10/18/2020 at 3:11 AM, rnd said:

People say I'm smart, and I think Im smart to, so yes i "think" one can "think" and "describe" themselves as being smart.  And yes you can "think" and "describe" why you "think" this can't be done with your own "reasons" and "descriptions".

4 minutes ago, LastThursday said:

@Meta-Man your relativity has worn me down. I tap out. I cannot define a man any more than I can define being smart.  They are both as relative as each other. Sometimes you're a man, sometimes not, it all depends.

I have learned one thing though: not to argue with a relativist.

Anyway I re-iterate:

Lol.  Dont know why this made me crack up.