March

A question on "Do Nothing" technique

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

In Shinzen Young's Do Nothing technique (which is also described by Leo), is consciously using a labelling technique on strong negative emotions ok?

Since the Do Nothing technique is:

"let whatever happens happen. whenever you notice an intention to control your attention, drop that intention." - i would be intentionally working with that strong emotion

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

You should fully accept strong negative emotions, is that your question?

6 hours ago, March said:

Hey guys,

In Shinzen Young's Do Nothing technique (which is also described by Leo), is consciously using a labelling technique on strong negative emotions ok?

Since the Do Nothing technique is:

"let whatever happens happen. whenever you notice an intention to control your attention, drop that intention." - i would be intentionally working with that strong emotion

Hmm, once I tried this but stopped because of suffering, I wasn't ready for awakening. So I believe this practice should only be done when your body and mind has been worked upon. Otherwise, you show a depressed man gold and when it's gone he's even more depressed. Now he is trying to steal the gold but instead he goes into prison. Getting out of the prison might be difficult. For you this prison might become attachment, sex, drugs... Or milder more discrete ego. Still this is just a defence mechanism of your brain for your survival and it takes many forms. Most never figure this out, I quess you need to awaken to be this aware so It may be difficult for you to understand how this is the very thing ruling our lives. Our ego, as we like to call it, thats why when you sit in stillness you let go of your ego and only use it for the minumum. What you use ego for when you are awakened is survival and often for kings and gurus one more thing which is the highest form of unselfishness. 

You should work upon your self accordingly to where you are in your life. It's often to the extent you are trying to improve and change which will determine how quickly you will reach the highest states of living as a human being. 

Now I have awakened, when you awaken, when you do nothing: almost no thoughts no unnecessary movement etc. Then first step you are completely at ease within yourself, then you will naturally, if done correctly let your life energy take over and you will realise how you before hand held yourself back from this blissful or ecstatic state that will become stronger and stronger when you go further into letting go of ego. you get closer and closer to enlightenment untill you are enlightened. I and many haven't gone this far maybe because we have a sense of something we want to do for this world before we leave it. 

6 hours ago, March said:

is consciously using a labelling technique on strong negative emotions ok?

It would be okay, yes, but it wouldn't be Do Nothing anymore.

Who knew there was a very specific way to do nothing lol

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

2 hours ago, FredFred said:

It would be okay, yes, but it wouldn't be Do Nothing anymore.

Who knew there was a very specific way to do nothing lol

Ohh no let's not get into doing truly nothing. Like you can turn off your mind and body to some extent. But what about your life energy the etheric body or what it's called. When I was close to awakening I experimented with my life energy. If you let go of life then you are preparing yourself for death lol. 

Also for you who is experimenting yourself, this energy or consciousness or whatever is outside of the body and mind. So you can't feel it and nobody can guide you to it because it's always on. I just learnt about Chakras when you have the ones im the body mastered then it's awakening time. 

3 hours ago, Leo Nordin said:

Ohh no let's not get into doing truly nothing. Like you can turn off your mind and body to some extent. But what about your life energy the etheric body or what it's called. When I was close to awakening I experimented with my life energy. If you let go of life then you are preparing yourself for death lol. 

Also for you who is experimenting yourself, this energy or consciousness or whatever is outside of the body and mind. So you can't feel it and nobody can guide you to it because it's always on. I just learnt about Chakras when you have the ones im the body mastered then it's awakening time. 

I don't understand what you're talking about

He asked a question about Shinzen Young do nothing technique, not some third activated eye chakra life juice out of lucid body bullshit

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

I would assume so.

If it were me I would probably just continue to do nothing while the negative emotion passed in and out of my awareness. If 

I get sidetracked and follow the negative emotion down a pattern of thought I would eventually realize I had been sidetracked and resume being the

background witness which does nothing.

10 minutes ago, FredFred said:

I don't understand what you're talking about

He asked a question about Shinzen Young do nothing technique, not some third activated eye chakra life juice out of lucid body bullshit

I'm sorry I am busy and actually I don't know about much techniques or meditation or lucid anything bullshit. I just had to share some advice because he seems new to learning about how to "upgrade" his experience of life. You too? 

Actually strong negative emotions isn't a problem unless you make it one. There is nothing wrong with it, you should never go against your feelings. Feelings is just a thought in another shape. At least if you create something within yourself then you should be proud of it. Otherwise aren't you just fighting yourself? The Shinzen do nothing technique you described must be done the way Shinzen tells you. And negative emotions won't be a part of the experience. I don't know what you are suffering @March

You can try to be angry all the time and see how it goes, really angry. I don't think you would last for 10minutes on your first try. You might realise how much energy strong negative emotions take. While positive emotions can give energy. You will one day realise how limited your energy is, you will mostly only be ecstatic in the end because that's the easiest way to live. Takes no mental drama or anything really once you treat every second of your life preciously. 

@Leo Nordin

On 19/10/2020 at 1:03 AM, Leo Nordin said:

You should work upon your self accordingly to where you are in your life. It's often to the extent you are trying to improve and change which will determine how quickly you will reach the highest states of living as a human being. 

Now I have awakened, when you awaken, when you do nothing: almost no thoughts no unnecessary movement etc. 

Thanks, that's a good big picture perspective - patience, going at own pace

On 19/10/2020 at 8:15 AM, Leo Nordin said:

You can try to be angry all the time and see how it goes, really angry. I don't think you would last for 10minutes on your first try. You might realise how much energy strong negative emotions take. While positive emotions can give energy.

That's it, my mind is playing mind games, there is indeed no need to "face" the emotions, the thoughts that say I have to face the emotions and distract myself from technique is part of the emotion itself.

@VeganAwake Yes

@Byun Sean Bingo

22 hours ago, March said:

@Leo Nordin

Thanks, that's a good big picture perspective - patience, going at own pace

That's it, my mind is playing mind games, there is indeed no need to "face" the emotions, the thoughts that say I have to face the emotions and distract myself from technique is part of the emotion itself.

@VeganAwake Yes

@Byun Sean Bingo

Exactly, there is no path...just what is.

So stressful events may occur, and that's what's happening.

The minds exaduration's are endless and unneeded.

“Everything is honoured, but nothing matters.” — Eckhart Tolle.

"I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens. I've been knocking from the inside." -- Rumi

One thing that can be noticed, is that the 'you' who is aware of what your body and brain are doing doesn't do anything beside 'be aware' of what your brain and body are doing. ;) 

Good luck!

The truth is to realize you don’t need to do anything