Thestarguitarist14

Manga

7 posts in this topic

I thought that the anime discussion was interesting, so I thought that I’d do one for manga.  Most anime is based off mangas in the first place.  Me personally, I prefer the mangas that do not become anime shows or movies.  Manga artists tend to be regarded like novelists as well.

My favorite manga artist is Inio Asano.  I his dark realism.  His art work is amazing .  His writing is great.  Goodnight Pun Pun is probably my favorite manga.  Solain, Girl on the Shore, Downfall and dead dead demon dede destruction are top notch as well.  What’s interesting is that none of his works have become Animes.

Shuzo Oshimi is similar to Asano.  He did have one of his mangas become an anime though, Flowers of Evil.

Ai Yazawa is great.  Her manga has this down to earth vibe that cannot be beat.  She is just so authentic.  Nana is both a great manga and anime.  Paradise Kiss as well.

I really enjoy reading the Attack On Titan Manga, it is a great read.

The Full Metal Alchemist Manga was too.  The crazy thing is that I woman wrote and drew it such a masculine story.

87090FA1-6028-4816-AAD8-A976523BCB67.jpeg

2F8C995F-8757-4AFB-91C7-D21615D731BC.png

5D2AF569-B564-471A-B774-B2D4F1C2F477.jpeg

BE73FEE7-5031-4130-B7EC-B47046ADD02B.jpeg

I think the author for FMA actually had to lie about being a guy for her work to get noticed

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho

I've red a bunch of manga myself, shonen like Naruto and I do have most of the books, and a few manga like Bleach and One Piece. I lately am getting into Seinin manga like Berserk, Vegabond, Vinland saga, The Abyss.

@Osaid Her pen name, Hiromu Arakawa, was to make people think she was a guy.  Her real first name is Hiromi.

@Danioover9000 I started reading manga as an adult so never really got too much into Shouen hump weekly stuff (well, I have read Death Note and Baukman).  Everyone tells me that I should read One Piece.

Berserk probably has the best artwork that I have seen in manga.  Mura is an amazing artist.

Funny you should mention it, I caught up on the Beastars manga before getting ready for work today!

If you guys and gals are into Seinen, read Goodnight Punpun.  Just finished it and it is a great work of the art.  An interesting take on the ego and how it ruins your life.

P.S, do not judge that manga by its cover or first few chapters.   

@Thestarguitarist14

On 10/17/2020 at 0:47 AM, Thestarguitarist14 said:

@Osaid Her pen name, Hiromu Arakawa, was to make people think she was a guy.  Her real first name is Hiromi.

@Danioover9000 I started reading manga as an adult so never really got too much into Shouen hump weekly stuff (well, I have read Death Note and Baukman).  Everyone tells me that I should read One Piece.

Berserk probably has the best artwork that I have seen in manga.  Mura is an amazing artist.

Yes, Berserk does have the best artwork, and I've studied some of his drawing of the characters and the background, and it felt like Miura had this literal interpretation of form construction, which is one reason why he can draw in such detail. However, because of his art style emphasizing the literal forms, I've notice the gesture and movement of each character does feel a little static, but he does cover this a bit with panel positioning.

Another amazing manga that's a close match to Berserk in detailed drawing is the manga series Baki the Grappler. Mainly a manga about fighting and the ridiculousness of fighting, but how that artist draws the forms of the characters is more smoother and more gesture like in drawing, while still being able to maintain detail, texture and toning. He also has really good human anatomy and despite how some of the fighter's bodies have exaggerated forms, he still makes their forms seem functional.