Leo Gura

Collecting Questions & Objections About The Limits Of Science

318 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, ColeMC01 said:

ultimate truth

Hey man,

I don't think something like "ULTIMATE TRUTH " that there's because why something that's real in it's true essence and which is all there's has to be the ULTIMATE, it seems when we say ULTIMATE TRUTH we are keeping one sort of a Truth above the other, I mean I don't know but what's your take on this? I mean I'm curious about this you know, Truth or ULTIMATE TRUTH? And if it's THE TRUTH why it has to be superior if that's what anybody think of that TRUTH as ULTIMATE.

It seems to me that the illusion we are imagining has some definite structure which is sometimes sort of predictable, as if there were rules and principles behind it. Is science valid to understand how the illusion works?

Can science be sort of broken if you set your intention and MIND right? I'll give you an extreme example of it: according to science you couldn't be able as a human to grow a pair of wings and fly, so as humans if we wanted to fly without a plane should we sort invent some scientifical way to grow wings (maybe with stem cells) or would it be possible to be in a state of consciousness and of mind control, where in this reality you can grow a pair of wings and fly?

Edited by docs20

What is the difference between toxic science denial and healthy criticism?

What are some examples of contradictions within science?

How can one do science consciously within the limitations imposed on science today?

What do you think science will look like 100 years from now?

If there's that many good evidence for the case of magic (telepathy etc.) being real, why is it not widely accepted? Is it really because of materialsim being a dominant dogma in science or something else is at play?

Why high-level scientists who for example claim that reality is made of consciousness differ so widely in their explanations, while scientists who work on typical materialistic research often agree?

To what degree can we trust science? How easy it is to manipulate it for companies or malicious agents seeking their own benefit?

Where exactly the intelligence is visible in the process of evolution? Ok, there are a few processes that seem intelligent happening on the cell level, but haven't been those processes developed through random mutations first?

Why are sceintists so alike to libertarians? Libertarians believe in perfect free markets just as much as scientifc people believe in the process of peer-reviewing. How can they be so blind to its failures?

6 hours ago, Hawkins said:

Direct experience tells me the earth is flat,

Sorry for offtop, but is it really? How do you know how a flat earth would look like in your direct experience? Maybe what you see is one face of a cube, or it's a part of a cylinder. Round objects with big enough radius seem flat. Have you looked at it with enough attention to determine it's really flat?

35 minutes ago, Giancarlo said:

The sort of published research commonly cited in the media is very dubious for a number of reasons.

There are many unresolved issues in science. Absolutely nobody is claiming that our understanding is complete, nor that all scientists agree with all others on all points. Not even close. The content of legitimate debates is usually well over the layman's head, however, which is a big problem when science needs political support, and is routinely under assault from special interest groups such as climate change deniers.

Expect any attacks on science to be exploited by the fossil fuel lobby, fundamentalist Christian/Islamic extremists and other fine people.

The solution to scientific limitation is not dark ages superstition, nor throwing the baby of truth-seeking out with the bathwater. We are beginning to see the horrors of internet cults that exploit the public's loss of trust in authorities to divorce the gullible from reality. A true 'out of the frying pain, into the fire' scenario that is still growing like a societal cancer to this day.

By respecting science consensus as our best benchmark for all material matters, ever-evolving and imperfect as it may be, just maybe we can avoid letting the lunatics take over the asylum.

Is there any field in science that is not driven by egos agenda? Can we trust science?

If stage Orange is different and more evolved than Blue, why do so many people cling to Science and take it as a dogma? I see this all the time. Science has LITERALLY become a new religion. The mainstream culture is built around it. The materialistic narrative for who we are, and what is existence, is soooo prevalent.  

Just looking at the people around me, they all regurgitate random scientific facts. Everyone watches quick 1-minute science videos. Everyone wants to be in STEM field because science is where the money's at. People look to science to explain meaning, existence and consciousness. Nobody actually does real science, but everyone loves to talk about it. Science became the ultimate unquestionable authority for the majority of people. Instead of doing empirical work, the majority rather take the word of a guy who has a Ph.D.

Is this the same bias that a stage Blue mind has? or is this tendency not related to spiral dynamics? how can you unplug your mind from the constant bombardment of scientific narrative?

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune

3 hours ago, Giancarlo said:

You're in luck, cause I will be giving a list of over 20 foundational contradictions within science.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

5 minutes ago, Arthur said:

Just looking at the people around me, they all regurgitate random scientific facts. Everyone watches quick 1-minute science videos. Everyone wants to be in STEM field because science is where the money's at. People look to science to explain meaning, existence and consciousness. Nobody actually does real science, but everyone loves to talk about it. Science became the ultimate unquestionable authority for the majority of people. Instead of doing empirical work, the majority rather take the word of a guy who has a Ph.D.

You're in luck cause the whole series will be about this.

18 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You're in luck cause the whole series will be about this.

I'm bringing toys and lube!

so much fun.gif

"Beyond fear, destiny awaits" - Dune

17 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

A big juicy multi-part video series on the limits of science is coming soon. This will be a serious deconstruction of all of science.

I wanted to collect any questions people have about science, how it works, what it's limits are, any objections to my critiques of science, etc.

I'm particularly interested in collecting any counter-critiques of my critiques of science. Tell me any way you think I'm wrong about science. Obviously you'd have to see my videos first to have counter-critiques, but maybe you have some based on my older videos.

Ask away. Your question may be addressed in the Objections section of the series.

OMG!!! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THESE VIDEO SERIES FOR SUCH A LONG TIME!!!!

???

Edited by Bernardo Carleial

Just playing Devil´s Advocate here:

1. You say things like "Science will never verify Enlightenment or even first-person phenomena because science deals with objective, verifiable facts".

However, science does research on things like dreams and emotions simply by observing and letting test subjects describe their first-person phenomena.

So wouldn't you agree that if enough people had non-dual experiences, science would unequivocally accept enlightenment? So it isn't really the fault of science that it isn't accepted yet.

2. Science is predominantly governed by Money. People like scientists, researchers, universities, industries all have their own survival strategy. But this isn't a unique problem of science. If they didn't have to worry about their funding, they could quit the rat race and think of higher consciousness issues and improving people's lives. So shouldn't you be criticizing the society as a whole rather than just science itself?

3. But Leo, scientific advances are the very reason that we are all here. YouTube, the Internet, computers, even 5-MeO-DMT are here because of science. Why would you still criticize it?

4. would you agree that science acts as a good filter for what is accepted into the mainstream? If science started believing in ETs because of one person who claims to channel them, where does that leave us? Shouldn't science be firm and strict to only accept things that have enough evidence behind them?

We are enslaved by anything we do not consciously see. We are freed by conscious perception.

- Vernon Howard

• What does science "get right"? In what manner was/is science a step in the right direction?
  • What set does science belong to?
  • What are the alternatives to science? (What elements, alternatives are in the set that contains science? )
  • What is the subset of science? How can science be sliced and diced? 
  • How can science be "transcended"? What is next after science? (What is it's connection to spiral dynamics, 9 stages of ego development, etc.)
  • How did science arise?
  • What is science? (Possibly include a deep understanding, breakdown of science as a foundation to talk about its deconstruction)

• But Leo without science you can be led into nonsense, new age delusion
    • But Leo, you just want people to be susceptible to bullshit and new age ideas
    • But Leo you want people to just believe everything, we would never get anything done, science is a matter of efficiency
    • But Leo you have no proof of anything otherwise, what else is there?
    • But Leo show me the double-blind placebo study
  • But Leo let the qualified scientist handle talks about science
    • But Leo smart people, high IQ people follow science, new agers and other charlatans don't
    • But Leo are you saying you are smarter than Neil DeGrasse Tyson and Stephen Hawking
  • But Leo science is reality, it's not a belief or ideology, it just is reality
    • But Leo are you telling me gravity, energy, forces don't exist, when they are clearly shown, what exactly are you trying to say
    • But Leo you got it all wrong, science is direct experience, it literally is empiricism
  • But Leo, yeah it might have some problems but science is the best we can do, its the best, peak of human knowledge
    • But Leo, anytime multiple people talk about their subjective experiences, it turns into science
    • But Leo science is cross-referenced and based on empirical facts, its the best possible
    • But Leo, there is no solution to the problems you speak of, we're just going to have to deal with it
  • But Leo science deals with what can be proven, objectively shown, anything else is bullshit
    • But Leo you got it all wrong, science is more objective, closer to the truth due to it summing up the subjective experiences of all observers, like an all-encompassing conglomerate getting to the real truth of the matter, it works as an average
      • Fringe cases like enlightenment and paranormal should be ignored
  • But Leo materialism works, it is tenable model of reality, anything else is impractical and speculative
    • But Leo, materialism vs. non-materialism, it doesn't matter, who cares? Its the same results
    • But Leo we can't deal with questions dealing with speculation and wishy washy stuff, leave that to philosophy
    • But Leo, all this metaphysics and philosophy and other bullshit is impractical and helps your life in no way
    • But Leo, facts don't care about your feelings
Edited by AlphaAbundance

Please don't forget to touch upon qualia, I find it to be one of the most obvious and easily accessible refutations of reductionist materialism.

Neurosciece has NOTHING, and they love to sweep it under the rug.

Edited by Fran11

1 hour ago, Bernardo Carleial said:

OMG!!! I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THESE VIDEO SERIES FOR SUCH A LONG TIME!!!!

???

You're in luck cause it looks like there's gonna be 4 parts.

Discovery Channel has shark week.

Actualized channel will have science month.

;)

10 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Actualized channel will have science month.

Amen. 

Was waiting for this. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today.