Cole

Vegan Powerlifter Only Eats Once Per Day, Fasts 23 Hours Every Day.

31 posts in this topic

I just watched a 35-minute video on youtube on a guy named Dr. Nun S. Amen RA.  He is a 50-55-year-old vegan powerlifter and he holds a few world records for 600+ lb deadlifts in his division.  The big catch is that for the last 15 years he and his wife have only consumed 1000-1500 calories each per day.  They fast for 23 hours, then have a meal in the evening.  He's seriously in great shape and his main objective is to slow down the aging process, not to become a great powerlifter.  He's superbly educated and he's a vegan.  He meditates and does yoga.  He walks around with a stick like he's in a tribe.  I also saw in another video where he's writing hieroglyphics.  He seems legit to me, but his story just broke about 11 days ago so its hard to be sure.  

Anyone who lifts knows how effective the right diet can be to seeing results.  This guy is turning all the rules upside down and only eating one meal each day which only supplies 1000-1500 calories.  His theories and research indicate that the body starts to boost human growth hormone after a certain amount of time without eating, which, when coupled with other variables, afford him the ability to gain muscle under such a caloric restriction.  He also speaks of the health benefits associated with his regime which could be very beneficial if what he's saying is true.  

I'm not sure if I can post a link so I didn't.  

Not really sure if I believe this can work for the average guy, but it is definitely a new and interesting idea to me.  

What do you guys think?

That guy is onto something ,I watched his video earlier today and having just switched to vegetarianism his advice is pretty sweet.
Just starting to use a universal gym again those tips are being implemented starting tonight before bed.

Glad to have heard of his technique , what a tip who knew.

edit:
just back from doing the workout at night , I'm not ready for his diet yet , just his training advice. cardio during the day and weights before bed

Edited by Beam

He's strong DESPITE that diet, not because of it. He probably has a excellent control over his mind, and a lot of strength is mental. 

Intermittent fasting is really popular right now. I've tried it for 6 months or so at a time on several occasions. IMO it's great for leaning out, not great for building muscle. It does have a lot of other health benefit though as you mentioned. 

@Beam I was thinking about giving the fasting window a try on a smaller scale.  I started researching intermittent fasting and found several videos and articles.  I may try a shorter fast window of 12 to 16 hours.  Depending on how well that works I may integrate it into the days I work, and progress over time if I'm getting the results I desire.  

@ChimpBrain I agree that he's naturally strong.  I'm very impressed with is size, given his caloric consumption.  I still have a hard time believing he can maintain and grow that much muscle with only 1000-1500 calories a day.  

The guy is definitely strong, healthy and legit. However, the video doesn't give too much insight to his actual training. It's very possible to build muscle with such a severe intermittent fasting window, which I've experienced myself, I've been in a caloric surplus, but still. During fasting, growth hormone just skyrockets in response to preserving lean tissue. You'll also increase the production of ketone bodies which are muscle sparing as well.

It works on the idea that stimulating a catabolic environment in the body, via aerobic training during daytime, like he said, and then doing resistance training before breaking the fast will make the body supercompensate for it and become highly anabolic. He's able to maintain his performance because of being very efficient with utilizing his own body fat for fuel. I think he also uses BCAAs during his fast as well. Caloric restriction is great for longevity but I don't think he could maintain his strength and muscle by eating only 1500 calories every day. He probably has some strategic refeeds and I believe he mentioned something about peanut butter jelly sandwiches, or at least some vegan version of them.

I've been doing something similar for a few months and have seen great results. The difference is that I have a sub 200 calorie fat smoothie at 16 h mark of fasting and then consume the rest of my calories at dinner within 2-3 hours. I'm also on a ketogenic diet, which protects lean tissue almost 24/7.

Body Mind Empowerment 
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAohrrjG-3gEp5QF1WlM9_w

@cirkussmile  Absolutely.

@Siim Land  I'm very interested in his system, but I won't be implementing the caloric restrictions until I know more about it.  I did, however, start a fast today, and it feels good.  I plan on going 16-18 hours depending on how I feel.  

More information about him is coming out.  He looks really big in the pictures and videos, but he's actually about 5'-6", which explains partly why he can get by with only 1000-1500 calories.  He's probably gradually progressed down to that level of fasting and caloric restriction over time.  

This video explains in detail the advantages to eat one meal for day and fasting. I'm already vegan myself maybe I'll give a go to one of them

I have been doing my weight training in the evenings starting a few hours before bed for the last week , in that time I noticed that my muscles are no longer stiff or sore the next morning and day.

At first i thought I must not be pushing myself hard enough so i trained to failure with max weight and got the same outcome  , without sore muscles for the following day.
 I now feel solid , not weak with soreness like what normally happens to me in the next morning after lifting hard , to failure.

I am thinking it is directly related to Dr. Nuns late night training advice.                  
I'm curious if anyone trying lifting at night has noticed a change in their soreness ?

My grandma weighs 300 pounds and she's still gaining weight, even thought she says she consumes 1200 calories a day.

Must be legit, because people are totally accurate at estimating their caloric intake and they also never lie :D

@pluto

Thanks for sharing those. I'm somewhat skeptical of his claims from a thermogenic perspective, but I'll look into those pdfs.

@Thomas

Sounds like your gran is experiencing some pretty savage metabolic damage bro :P

I like to know his diet regimen? I see the pre-dinner supplement regimen but have not grasped anything else than to do cardio, meditation, and lifting. 

How many hours of cardio and lifting. At what time. What lifting regimen and yoga poses in between sets ... what vegan food to make 1000-1500 calories, etc.

Edited by dgm72575

12 hours ago, dgm72575 said:

I like to know his diet regimen? I see the pre-dinner supplement regimen but have not grasped anything else than to do cardio, meditation, and lifting. 

How many hours of cardio and lifting. At what time. What lifting regimen and yoga poses in between sets ... what vegan food to make 1000-1500 calories, etc.

Read the articles, most people fail at his lifestyle because they do not read the articles. I had to read twice to finally understand properly.

B R E A T H E

I would take this guy's credibility with a spec of salt. While it is probably possible to thrive on 1500 calories and sustain health for a regular size human, I find it very difficult to believe that he build that physique on a low caloric diet such as the one he mentioned. The guy of his size would have to take in a lot of gear to keep that big without proper caloric intake. 

He does sound and behave very spiritually as someone we would look up to but there is something fishy out there. I don't think he is being fully honest with what he eats and takes and by advising people to go on super low caloric vegan diet, he could be causing quite a lot of damage since vegan reputation is already quite damaged among many people perceived as being deficient. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

37 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

I would take this guy's credibility with a spec of salt. While it is probably possible to thrive on 1500 calories and sustain health for a regular size human, I find it very difficult to believe that he build that physique on a low caloric diet such as the one he mentioned. The guy of his size would have to take in a lot of gear to keep that big without proper caloric intake. 

He does sound and behave very spiritually as someone we would look up to but there is something fishy out there. I don't think he is being fully honest with what he eats and takes and by advising people to go on super low caloric vegan diet, he could be causing quite a lot of damage since vegan reputation is already quite damaged among many people perceived as being deficient. 

Its more about the nutrient density and amino acids then it is about calories this is what he explains in the articles. He does supplement with creatine and other amino acids but no steroids just a solid mind with a solid program. He is ultimately about Longevity as with intelligence comes more sensible goals in life.

I have done it myself for few months twice and i felt great! Did not lose any muscle or gain but my sleep was very good, my strength was optimal, my state of mind was very calm and balanced and this lifestyle taught me Mindfulness on a level i never experienced before.

He does state if you have the physique goals you may need to add additional amino acid supplements to your Aliksir/Recovery Smoothie.

I. Add ~300 mL soymilk to mechanical blending apparatus.
II. Prepare powdered ingredients and place in separate vessel. These include the following:
i. Multimineral/Multivitamin supplement ground in mortar and pestle or
otherwise.
ii. All 12 amino acids enumerated above in amounts approximating ~1-3 grams
[Note: This amount depends upon the differing aims of the Adherent (i.e. weight
loss, power promotion, muscle maintenance, etc.]
iii. Isolated soy protein; ~5-10 g (grams)
iv. Brewer’s yeast; 5-15 g
v. Spirulina; ~1-5 g
vi. Pure cocoa; ~5-10 g
vii. Pure stevia powder; ~100 milligrams (according to desired sweetness)
viii. Bromelain powder (or any vegetal enzyme inclusive thereof; Apply amount
indicated on label of particular commercial product)
ix. Psyllium; ~5 g
x. Creatine; ~5 g
III. Add powdered ingredients to soymilk and blend. [Ice may added.]

After that you consume main meals and minor meals to generally make you feel full and satiated as the Shake really contains everything you need.

Hope this helps better understand :)

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

@pluto Hey, sorry if I'm resurrecting a dead thread but do you have the details of the meal segments of the diet? I'm mainly wondering how he gets enough potassium in such a short eating window. 

I studied personal training, and my thoughts is this guy is an absolute fraud. Roids of course, and the needed nutrients in only one meal medically impossible.

please look at his facebook <3 i love him, he shares so many amazing insights over there (including enlightenment/consciousness stuff)

@Moreira this guy competes only in strct no-steroid deadlifting competitions, so they check him thoroughly. 

Edited by moon777light

@pluto does it HAVE to be soymilk? ive had bad reactions regarding my menstrual cycle when i drank soy milk