Shunyata

How to control cravings???

44 posts in this topic

Do you agree with the statement: 'the only way you deal with a fat gluttonous pig is by beating it by a stick'?

What is the best way to control your food cravings? What is your story? Please please tell us

Edited by Shunyata

Stay cool & dry.

You have to catch yourself in the moment of the craving and ask yourself -

If I love myself, what would I do? 

If you beat the craving with a stick, once the craving isn't afraid of the stick, it will still be there if the craving hasn't resolved itself

I would take it easy, if you can't be honest with what foods you like, most diets will be temporary

I have found that the best way to manage food craving is not to eat and drink water.   In my last diet, I would eat only one meal at night.  I ate less than 700 calories a day.  It sounds difficult, but it wasn’t that difficult because I had no craving for food.   The more you eat, the more you crave.  Some of that is because of sugar.  When you eat something sugary, the sugar does not satisfy your hunger, but creates more hunger.  Fat is actually better than sugar, because fat can satisfy hunger.  

Vincit omnia Veritas.

I just keep on eating like a fat fuck. The only thing I've learned from all of this is that going cold-Turkey (beating myself with a stick) is the only solution to dealing with my insatiable appetite 

Stay cool & dry.

Your perspective of what food is has to be changed. This happens as you meditate and pursue a spiritual path. If you can become fulfilled apart from all material form, you won't look for the pleasure and fulfillment through eating. Then, eating only happens as-needed. You can improve your situation through dieting, fasting, etc. but following a path of deepening awareness will bring you to the root of the struggle

24 minutes ago, Shunyata said:

@Jodistrict great tips. What about eating more salt?

Salt increases your water weight.  We already have too much salt in our diet contained in all the processed food.  I never put extra salt on anything.

Edited by Jodistrict

Vincit omnia Veritas.

@Jodistrict are you a girl. If so, how tall are you? I'm a girl 5'3 and when I eat around 700 kcal a day I lose some weight but can't keep it off. 

Stay cool & dry.

1 hour ago, fridjonk said:

Well I love food. Therefore if I love myself I would not deny myself the pleasure of food.

If you love food, just eat food. If you don't love food, but you love to look sexy naked. Don't eat food. Just make clear for yourself what you love and not so love.

RIP Roe V Wade 1973-2022 :)

I would be very very glad if anyone would take time to give some advice from their own experience.  Wisdom is the most valuable thing. Thank all for answering. I greatly appreciate it.

Stay cool & dry.

According to Leo, you watch the craving come and go. Instead of acting on the craving. Craving shows up you act on it consuming those forbidden foods . Instead: 

1 hour ago, fridjonk said:

Craving shows up, you say hi to the craving and you try to feel the craving with every cell of your body, and you try to stay there. It is impossible, the craving will eventually leave, and you are left with a feeling of victory.

Arc

@Arcangelo yesterday during evening guided meditation I was able to be the awareness that I am

The most interesting thing is that during that session I could see different people with closed eyes. But because I had dispassion for all I didn't react too much. When I 'came back', I realized how unusual it all was. It was probably just a dream state. Your thoughts?

Stay cool & dry.

@Jodistrict Actually a Harvard research found that salt isn't as bad as previously thought.

I put extra pink Himalayan salt on everything and I feel fantastic, but I also drink like 3 liters of water every day. I feel at my best when I'm salted up, as a matter of fact, I'm drinking cacao right now with a shit ton of Himalayan salt. xD

Aubrey Marcus also talks about the importance of sea salt because of all the minerals it holds, like 60 different types if I remember correctly, compared to table salts 3 types of minerals. 

@Shunyata I'm the same way, I have to quit eating unhealthy cold turkey. But! I don't overdo the health which is a mistake most people make, it's just not sustainable. For example, for breakfast, I usually eat some granola (which has sugar)  combined with oats, tastes great, and makes me feel great because of all the fiber. Then at launch some eggs with noodles and protein bread toast. It's just a matter of finding out what works for you and making it taste really good. 

@vizual You love to feel healthy first and foremost, this is true for everyone whether they disagree or not. So that should overwrite the short term pleasure of unhealthy food when you can get healthy food which tastes really good and makes you feel good. :)

@Arcangelo Solid advice! 

From my own experience Leo's system works, but it is tough man. There are no shortcuts, or hacks. Whatever you do (to deal with your cravings) it will be uncomfortable.

Don't try to distract yourself. Try to focus as hard and as long as you can on the craving. Then watch it lose it's intensity to finally disappear.

Now a days M&M's and Oreos are my biggest enemies.

6 minutes ago, Shunyata said:

@Arcangelo yesterday during evening guided meditation I was able to be the awareness that I am

The most interesting thing is that during that session I could see different people with closed eyes. But because I had dispassion for all I didn't react too much. When I 'came back', I realized how unusual it all was. It was probably just a dream state. Your thoughts?

I don't meditate too much. I meditate twice a month in average.

Meditation is great IDK why I haven't been able to make it a habit.

What I have been able to realize during meditation is that Nothingness = Infinity or something like that.

Why guided meditation? The only times I have done guided meditation was a healing guided meditation after surgery.

My thoughts about your experience is that you were experiencing some sort of Siddhi  

@Arcangelo yes, I guess the solution is just to be the self which has no appetite or any other desire

True there are no shortcuts in life and it's time to finally learn that

Stay cool & dry.

@Shunyata I'm a girl, also about 5'3. What works best for me is to focus on what I DO eat. I make sure I get enough protein, and I try to make sure I get a good amount of protein for breakfast. For me that significantly decreases my food cravings. I also make sure I eat a ton of veggies, I try for one every meal and I eat huge servings of them. You have to work up to it and find which you can digest easily and which you can't, but you will feel amazing. I also make sure I get exercise that I enjoy, preferably outside, almost every single day. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost