Husseinisdoingfine

Is any 9-5 and employer job automatically wage slavery?

53 posts in this topic

If someone works 9-5 and works under a manger or boss, does that automatically count as wage slavery?

How long do you work every day? Do you have a boss?

''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

Is any relationship of selling x amount of time for x dollars considered wage slavery?

''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

Nope, it depends on the personality. I know lots of people that love the stability, routine and relative certainty of working 9-5 at a stable company. They do the same job for 20-30 years and are relatively happy and content with what they do. They love the duty and honor that comes with serving the same company for decades. It's some kind of militaristic, patriotic sense of duty that keeps these people going until they drop dead. I kid you not, lots of people like this exist.

While other people absolutely detest it and rather be masters of their own fate - and accept the relative higher uncertainty that comes with it. Usually if you are a more creative person, or just a person that needs a sense of freedom in your life. You won't really enjoy being a wage slave. Luckily for society not everyone needs creativity or a lot of freedom in their job. 

In any case, you always need to find out in life what works for you, what makes you happy. You can be an entrepeneur, freelancer, wage slave, artist for hire, job hopper, corporate climber, professional homeless person, housewife. Whatever floats your boat best.

38 minutes ago, vizual said:

Nope, it depends on the personality. I know lots of people that love the stability, routine and relative certainty of working 9-5 at a stable company. They do the same job for 20-30 years and are relatively happy and content with what they do. They love the duty and honor that comes with serving the same company for decades. It's some kind of militaristic, patriotic sense of duty that keeps these people going until they drop dead. I kid you not, lots of people like this exist.

While other people absolutely detest it and rather be masters of their own fate - and accept the relative higher uncertainty that comes with it. Usually if you are a more creative person, or just a person that needs a sense of freedom in your life. You won't really enjoy being a wage slave. Luckily for society not everyone needs creativity or a lot of freedom in their job. 

In any case, you always need to find out in life what works for you, what makes you happy. You can be an entrepeneur, freelancer, wage slave, artist for hire, job hopper, corporate climber, professional homeless person, housewife. Whatever floats your boat best.

Some people are okay with being cogs in the corrupted world machine.

There is way too much negativity in the conversation that paints a bad picture about "wage slavery" jobs. Yes of course people should strive to get out of it and find a creative/personal way to contribute and earn a living, but billions of people are working "wage slave" jobs, and the standard of living is getting pretty decent for many people. It's not the absolute end of the world if you're participating in that system, even if it's not totally desirable. You gotta do what you gotta do to feed and house yourself.

The conversation around it just sounds immature/hipstery, and sets up such a toxic frame for those listening for how they are going to approach getting out of it. Shame and desperation are not proper lasting motivators.

Also it's no coincidence that all the people steering the conversation are out of wage slavery and speaking from a place of privilege, "Just work 90 hours a week like I did bro. Just sacrifice everything for a bunch of years bro. You have no excuses."

lol. It's like listening to a libertarian. Complete naïve and ruthless disregard for most peoples difficult circumstances.

Edited by Roy

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."

6 minutes ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

Some people actually truly enjoy it. And a part of me envies that, oh how much simpler life would be. On the other hand, life isn't really worth living as a dullard from my personal perspective. 

If it's a job that is enjoyable to you, then great.

If I had a job of a aircraft radio transmission controller or communicator I'd be glad to do it 8 hours a day and get paid. 

Edited by Preety_India

1 hour ago, vizual said:

Some people actually truly enjoy it. And a part of me envies that, oh how much simpler life would be. On the other hand, life isn't really worth living as a dullard from my personal perspective. 

Yeah I used to work at a company where I was in management, making good money and had all kinds of benefits.  The other people loved it as it allowed them to do drugs and party every weekend (I live in L.A).  I hated it.  Looking back, it is so clear how unawake those people are.  They probably had a tough time adjust once the pandemic hit (clubs and bars are still closed in California).

Edited by Thestarguitarist14

32 minutes ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

Yeah I used to work at a company where I was in management, making good money and had all kinds of benefits.  The other people loved it as it allowed them to do drugs and party every weekend (I live in L.A).  I hated it.  Looking back, it is so clear how I’m awake those people are.  They probably had a tough time adjust once the pandemic hit (clubs and bars are still closed in California).

I can't imagine the horror if the highlight of my life was doing drugs and partying every weekend. On the other hand, a part of me envies their simple-mindedness. Even if it is not particularly enlightened.

There's too much focus on getting economically independent, or along those lines.

Rather it's about how you relate to the job. It's easy to be happy with the best job under the best circumstances with the best freedoms. And it is also possible to be happy with a job without superlative attributes, that' fully depending on you. 

If work means struggling with the basics, maybe needing to sport several jobs in order to pay your rent and put food on your table, or similar, up to a comfortable level, that might not allow you to focus on being needs and continue towards liberating "yourself from yourself". 

The need to become aware when we're externalising our unhappiness and putting the blame on such things as work, rendering ourselves unable to overcome, victimizing ourself under circumstances, uncontrollably so, disliking or hating our jobs. 

Before, chop wood and carry water. Afterwards, chop wood and carry water. 

Edited by Eph75

47 minutes ago, vizual said:

I can't imagine the horror if the highlight of my life was doing drugs and partying every weekend. On the other hand, a part of me envies their simple-mindedness. Even if it is not particularly enlightened.

That part.  At the time part of me did envy their simple mindedness.  But the other part of me knew it was not going to last long.  Little did I know about what would happen to the whole entire world...

I will say I remember talking to one of the other managers and she seemed to be searching for a different way.  I could tell that the weekly drug use (molly) was getting to her.  Nice enough chick, great looking, just so unconscious it was sad.  

7 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

If someone works 9-5 and works under a manger or boss, does that automatically count as wage slavery?

How long do you work every day? Do you have a boss?

Hi Hussein,

I work in my Job from 9 to 5 for 5 Days a week.

I would say it depends. You can be easily relatively free in a Job at a Corp and unfree when working for yourself. Where you work is at least at the beginning not that important. There are some Variables to consider:

1. Income
  2. Spending
  3. Savings
  4. Is it easy for you to find a Job that pays at least the same amount of money?

You want to have Spending < Income so that you can accumulate Savings. I aim to have Savings worth 5 Years of my average Spending. If you get that AND you can easily replace your current job THEN you are relatively free in my book.

That is of course only the beginning, you may need more as you get older. The main Reason is that your Savings give you freedom to take opportunities, security should be not the first thought. I would recommend People who struggle with their life to make a Apprenticeship Phase for some Years and save alongside. After 5 Years you have the Money and the Skills to be relatively free. This sets you up to make your own business with a solid foundation.

5 hours ago, Eph75 said:

There's too much focus on getting economically independent, or along those lines.

Rather it's about how you relate to the job. It's easy to be happy with the best job under the best circumstances with the best freedoms. And it is also possible to be happy with a job without superlative attributes, that' fully depending on you. 

If work means struggling with the basics, maybe needing to sport several jobs in order to pay your rent and put food on your table, or similar, up to a comfortable level, that might not allow you to focus on being needs and continue towards liberating "yourself from yourself". 

The need to become aware when we're externalising our unhappiness and putting the blame on such things as work, rendering ourselves unable to overcome, victimizing ourself under circumstances, uncontrollable so, disliking or hating our jobs. 

Before, chop wood and carry water. Afterwards, chop wood and carry water. 

I think being economically successful is major. It's not the biggest Thing but without you struggle a lot. You mean this 'hustle-mentality', right? Like these 17 Year old could do and so you HAVE TO to be even BASELINE HAPPY. That's a sick Mentality, yeah.

Imo, you can have a 9-5 job that you enjoy. What's more, if you're lucky, you can have co-workers who are great to work with. You can go to eat with them or hang out after work. You're in a social situation on a regular basis, thus you can even find some friends/girlfriends. It does have its benefits and I wouldn't say it's automatically wage slavery just because it's a 9-5 job.

What I consider wage slavery is a minimum wage job that you detest and where you can barely make ends meet.

If you consider the ego to be your personal problem, that’s just more ego.

It seems to be the case in 99.9% cases. However, you can for sure find some great jobs under great visionary leaders which can be fulfilling to do

Design your life, design your future

12 hours ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

Stop trying to sound superior to others.

Realize not everyone wants the same a you.

4 minutes ago, herghly said:

Stop trying to sound superior to others.

Realize not everyone wants the same a you.

Truth hurts.

When you think about what a job really is, I would say in 99% of cases yes. Essentially you are getting paid half or less than half of the value that you provide.

While you may need to do it temporarily so you have the money to start your own business ventures, continuing to engage in a 9-5 for your entire life is a massive waste of time for anyone with other goals.

That being said, it is also possible to luck out and land a job where you do very little actual work, while getting paid well.

Edited by smurf88

@smurf88 I don't consider it luck to have a job with little actual work. In fact, I'd rather be exploited for hard honest work, than waste away doing nothing but punching the clock

1 minute ago, vizual said:

@smurf88 I don't consider it luck to have a job with little actual work. In fact, I'd rather be exploited for hard honest work, than waste away doing nothing but punching the clock

Good to know, I will keep that in mind if I'm looking for someone to hire ;)

@smurf88 Sorry I only dance to my own music nowadays(as much as I can anyway). I'll hit you up if I ever get in dire straits.