Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lyubov

What are “Zen games” ?

5 posts in this topic

So do I understand this term correctly? Basically it’s a sort of figure of speech describing the way this path will communicate “truth” often through riddles and modesty vs very open and direct communication found in other spiritual paths and cultures? 

The tradition of koans and etc

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

7 minutes ago, lmfao said:

The tradition of koans and etc

Ah ok cool I looked that up and I seem to have not been too far off. Wonder if they prefer this tradition because it has some connection to how Japanese culture prefers very indirect communication over direct communication found in other cultures.

A Zen game is basically something Zen people will do to... "test" each other. II mean, not really, it's just a game. I am very fond of Zen and my best friend is a Zen Boddhisatva - we sometimes play Zen games... There is no definition of what a Zen game is. You have to get it to play it and play it to get it. 

Answering on the mundane in terms of the transcendent and on the transcendent in terms of the mundane.. Or something like that?

If you ask me what a Zen game is, I will fart and leave the room.