Rasheed

What are the high conscious forms of entertainment?

26 posts in this topic

What are the high conscious form(s) of entertainment?

Edited by Rasheed

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

5 minutes ago, electroBeam said:

this one is pretty good. 

???

00651936-CD3F-416C-AD9A-CC86103FC7B1.png

Edited by Rasheed

Digital Minimalism: A philosophy of technology use in which you focus your online time on a small number of carefully selected and optimized activities that strongly support things you value, and then happily miss out on everything else.” - Cal Newport

Entertainment is meant to be unconscious, it cannot be conscious, because otherwise it won't be entertaining anymore.

In terms of speed, quantity, and quality; high consciousness means slow, low quantity, and high quality experience. Unconsciousness means the opposite, i.e. fast, high quantity, and low quality experience. Each the high and low consciousness serves certain purposes. And they overlap at times, especially during the non-dual states, which makes it interesting to see how they manifests at different degrees of each.

Back to op; entertainment does not happen by being slow, empirical, and with the least possible number of stimulants. It happens by doing exactly the opposite. A cascade of stimulants is necessary to override the conscious mind and put it down into low consciousness modes. Then, from there, entertainment can happen, because one isn't aware enough to see the tricks played by the mind, simply due to being overwhelmed, and it's entertaining exactly because it turns off the conscious mind.

Edited by Gesundheit

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Just now, Thestarguitarist14 said:

@Gesundheit This is not true at all.  You are only focusing on mainstream entertainment.

I'm talking in general. Care to give a few examples of non-mainstream entertainment that is highly conscious?

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

You meditate and then you go about your day. That is about as conscious you'll get. If something entertains you, that's high consciousness entertainment. Don't turn consciousness work into a crippling obsession.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

5 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

I'm talking in general. Care to give a few examples of non-mainstream entertainment that is highly conscious?

Quentin Tarantino’s films (though he is mainstream)

Charlie Kaufman’s films 

Elliott Smith’s music 

certain anime shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop (though both are mainstream, but the vast majority of anime is very low conscious)

the mangas from Inio Asano

Paul Thomas Anderson’s films

A higher consciousness finds entertainment in all things.

Circumstances do not matter at all, state of being is all that matters.

5 hours ago, modmyth said:

@Rasheed  What are your goals from "entertainment"? (What are you looking for from your experience?)

To relax. To have pleasure. Entertainment basically...

16 minutes ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

Quentin Tarantino’s films (though he is mainstream)

Charlie Kaufman’s films 

Elliott Smith’s music 

certain anime shows like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Cowboy Bebop (though both are mainstream, but the vast majority of anime is very low conscious)

the mangas from Inio Asano

Paul Thomas Anderson’s films

I just checked out Elliott Smith. Basically his song is about addiction, so I'll assume that most of his work is of similar nature. I wouldn't call it entertainment though. A 12 steps program is not an entertaining thing. And most importantly, you probably missed the entire point of my post, which is the definition of entertainment vs high consciousness. You seem to equate high consciousness with some sort of ideology that includes certain things and excludes others. But that'd only be your definition and it's not correct. If you want to, you can read my post again and discuss the definitions I provided.

12 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

I just checked out Elliott Smith. Basically his song is about addiction, so I'll assume that most of his work is of similar nature. I wouldn't call it entertainment though. A 12 steps program is not an entertaining thing. And most importantly, you probably missed the entire point of my post, which is the definition of entertainment vs high consciousness. You seem to equate high consciousness with some sort of ideology that includes certain things and excludes others. But that'd only be your definition and it's not correct. If you want to, you can read my post again and discuss the definitions I provided.

A lot of people make that misconception.  His songs are very complex.  He considered himself spiritual.  You have to really dissect what he is saying as he speaks about a ton of things.  I suggest listening to his songs Waltz 2, Fond Farewell, Can’t Make A Sound, King’s Crossing, Say Yes, Happiness, Twilight, Shooting Star and between the bars.  Is just work entertainment?  Yeah, why not?  His songs have been in movies like good Will Hunting and the Royal Tenebaums.  At the end of the day, he was a musician.  And a damn good one at that.

You are intellectualizing this far more than is necessary.  I am an artist (I make music, write and have acted and directed).  High consciousness art is all about actually having a message with what you are saying.  Going beyond artifice.  That’s it.

Edited by Thestarguitarist14

@Thestarguitarist14 Oh sorry then. Now that you have mentioned your field of interest, there's clearly a higher chance of being biased on your side. Conflict of interest can blind people from seeing with clarity, and that's understandable. Anyway, I'll not comment anymore because it would be pointless.

3 minutes ago, Gesundheit said:

@Thestarguitarist14 Oh sorry then. Now that you have mentioned your field of interest, there's clearly a higher chance of being biased on your side. Conflict of interest can blind people from seeing with clarity, and that's understandable. Anyway, I'll not comment anymore because it would be pointless.

You are full of shit.  Just thought that you should know this.

2 hours ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

You are full of shit.  

Tell me something I don't know, yo.

13 hours ago, electroBeam said:

this one is pretty good. 

HAHA I love this, loops and mind-twisting things (especially when mixed with comedy) are one of my favorite forms of entretainment.

Creation, learning, reflecting (or contemplating, however you like to call it), making new ideas, laughing, enjoying, playing, practicing are my favorites too.

If you enjoy what you do and it supports your growth in a healthy way it's fine, if it doesn't then be careful.
Any entretainment is fine until it becomes a distraction.

Connect to Create ☼♡

@Rasheed none particularly imo. You can jump around from "lower pleasure" to "higher pleasure" in terms of choice of intoxicants, but the differences are superficial and you find yourself having the same problems over and over again. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

Lower consciousness entertainment is feeding into the autonomous being probably or possibly without being aware of how and why it entertains you.

Higher consciousness entertainment moves away from the autonomous consumption of content to enjoy things from other perspectives, structures, interactions, implications and more. 

What the entertainment itself is matter less, the lower conscious individual can be entertained per his/her needs and the higher conscious individual can be entertained by other aspects, while both consuming "the same". 

Of course some forms of entertainment will become too crude to have entertaining value therein and the forms of entertainment is likely to shift along-side developmental growth. There is certainly a value in observating such crude entertainment and how it engages lower consciousness individuals and, if you like, you can call that higher consciousness entertainment if you will. It's just a matter of perspective.

The "what" is then litterally left to being whatever, and the "why" and even more interestingly the "how" becomes key.

Edited by Eph75

Want to connect? Just do it, I assure you I'm just a human being just like you, drop me a PM today.