StephenK

Assisted Suicide

20 posts in this topic

if they really want to die and it's not just a spur of the moment thing or something which can be cured, then that's alright with me.

If someone is terminally suffering, then I would say they should be allowed. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

I have a neighbor that's for years saying how she wants to die. It's sad to see. 

I'd vote for this in a second. 

My grandmother is close to her final days at the age of 96, and has lived the past 5-10 years with dementia, unable to recognise family members, with no control of her life, no ability to think clearly, extreme difficulty walking, constant discomfort, imprisoned in an aged care facility... all because society says that people should be forced to live as long as possible, at any cost. I trust that society will be more humane by the time I am that age, but otherwise I am sure that there will be organisations like Exit International to turn to.

I've kept a close eye on this issue for many years and do notice that it has gotten much harder to access Nembutal, the best substance for a peaceful end. Conservative forces are at it again.

This is a difficult issue as one cannot simply give everyone access to voluntary euthanasia (moody teenagers being an extreme example), yet having a simple rule like legalising it for anyone 70+ could lead to pressure for the elderly to die so that their offspring can get their inheritance. But we have a long way to go to reach a sensible balance.

26 minutes ago, No Self said:

This is a difficult issue as one cannot simply give everyone access to voluntary euthanasia (moody teenagers being an extreme example), yet having a simple rule like legalising it for anyone 70+ could lead to pressure for the elderly to die so that their offspring can get their inheritance. But we have a long way to go to reach a sensible balance.

I would make it necessary for the psychiatrist to approve it. 

Maybe you also have to sign up for it and wait let's say a month, so it's not a mood swing. 

And make it easy to cancel. 

Edited by Opo

18 minutes ago, Opo said:

I would make it necessary for the psychiatrist to approve it. 

Maybe you also have to sign up for it and wait let's say a month, so it's not a mood swing. 

That would be great.

Currently in Victoria, it's necessary to have an advanced disease leading to an expected death within 6-12 months, then to go through a multi-pronged request process. Progress will likely happen incrementally.

It will be a huge leap to make this available for the elderly and even for middle-aged people experiencing heavy suffering, but there is hope given that even a few years ago, all forms of voluntary euthanasia were completely off the cards.

I think it should be allowed in only very particular cases where someone is suffering and is terminally ill.  I'd say no in any other case.  

Obviously it will be legal in the future.

Dark Ages.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

3 minutes ago, Keyhole said:

I have an acquaintance whose mother is in the same situation and I really feel for you.  Have you been able to visit her due to the coronavirus shut down?

Thanks for your thoughts. :)
Since I last posted, she has passed away; 2 days ago to be precise. I didn't get to see her as Melbourne is in lockdown, but I have felt almost no grief. Just glad that she is free of a body-mind past its use-by date! Must be an ecstatic experience of liberation to drop a body like that.

On 11/10/2020 at 5:08 AM, StephenK said:

"Look I'm not afraid of dying, but I am afraid of being forced to endure suffering and indignity of being totally dependent on other people while I'm dying"

Fuck she's a brave woman! I'd be scared of the opposite. 

This weekend New Zealand is voting on the assisted suicide issue. 

Looks like it's really just a matter of time before it's legal.

On 16.10.2020 at 8:27 AM, Leo Gura said:

Obviously it will be legal in the future.

Dark Ages.

It's legal in many countries

1 hour ago, PurpleTree said:

It's legal in many countries

Murcia is the only country :P

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 minutes ago, toocrazytobecrazy said:

Leo have you done a video about how the future might look like?  that would be awesome to watch

original.gif

1 hour ago, toocrazytobecrazy said:

Leo have you done a video about how the future might look like?  that would be awesome to watch

@toocrazytobecrazy I believe he talked about this in his series on conscious politics, as well as some other videos of his, but I don't remember exactly which ones.

It is legal in Switserland, we currently had a wave of debate regarding this issue in Norway and it seemed people in somewhat accidental demographics were split on the ethics of it.

The argument against, which came across rather absurd were primarily that the doctors should be pardoned such responsebility (both in the action itself and the judge of the seriousness case by case). Imagine having insane amounts of pain, zero psychological pleasures a functioning arm only to be set for life in that very scenario with close to zero hope for the future due to the emotions of some doctors.

how much can you bend your mind? and how much do you have to do it to see straight?

It's really stupid that euthanasia isn't allowed in so many countries.

There's not a single good argument against euthanasia.

It's illegal only because people can't think rationally about it. And such stupidity pisses me off. The laws are supposed to be based on reason and not on some stupid irrational emotions.

It would lessen the suffering in the world.

Make it legal immediately.

Edited by Blackhawk

8 hours ago, Blackhawk said:

Make it legal immediately.

Commonsense will prevail eventually.