justfortoday

How I Induce Non-Dual States

98 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, integral said:

Super good.. another i like to do is ask questions like:

- What will he do next? (Observing avatar)

- What will he think next? or What will be his next thought? 

It can sort of freeze the avatar in place.

Also these questions can help to enter flow states. Observing autopilot state. 

tenor.gif

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@Carl-Richard The avatar is observing the avatar?

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@Fran11 Have any techniques on this topic?

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

1 hour ago, integral said:

Super good.. another i like to do is ask questions like:

- What will he do next? (Observing avatar)

- What will he think next? or What will be his next thought? 

It can sort of freeze the avatar in place.

Also these questions can help to enter flow states. Observing autopilot state. John malkoviched. 

I like the “observing the avatar”. It’s a mindfuck.

4 hours ago, integral said:

@Carl-Richard The avatar is observing the avatar?

Do you want to induce non-dual states or do you want to abide in it? It's apparently easy to induce it, but letting it become your natural state is a completely different task. Focus on the problem of resting in non-dual awareness. These types of practices is just a hamster spinning in a wheel.

You need to be able to rest. By rest I don't mean "becoming aware of your true self", or becoming mindful, or inducing a calm state. I just simply mean relax, stop searching, go on about your day. Limit your spiritual practice to a select time period of your day. When you're not practicing, you're doing something else. Whatever you're supposed to do, do it fully, then when you're not doing it, let it be.

This is important, because a non-dual state only becomes your abiding state if you're already at rest. I keep seeing this type of ADHD spirituality on this forum, and based on my own experience, it's really detrimental to both your mental health and your spiritual progression.

By following half-baked practices that you can just do on a whim whenever you feel like it, you're setting yourself up for intrusive thoughts and compulsive behaviour. Your practice shouldn't impede your daily life. Have some structure, establish a routine, and your work will actually pay off.

Edited by Carl-Richard

@justfortoday @justfortoday yes! Exactly the same , the world was moving and my awareness was just still but everything moved in it, it was so obvious that i am "walking" on the same spot, and the world around is also encapsulated in a VOID

Let thy speech be better then silence, or be silent.

- Pseudo-dionysius 

2 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I just sit.

divine simplicity :) Some of us need more lol

6 hours ago, justfortoday said:

Hi Friends, I wanted to share a technique I have been using during my walking meditations to induce non-dual awareness.

To understand the technique, first we need to understand how perception works. The absolute truth is that YOU have never gone anywhere in your entire life. Physicality itself is an illusion. What you truly are is pure MIND. You are imagining everything you "see".

You can think of reality as a VR game created by Infinity to play with itself.

If done right, this technique can attain a state of non-dual awareness that is incredibly amazing to experience.

[Attached Graphic Explains It]

Technique:

• Go out for a walk, preferably somewhere in nature that has trees or other "large" objects.
  • As you walk, realize that it's not you that is moving, it's the world.
  • Focus your attention on a distant object, maybe a tree.
  • Keep walking, now realize that you cannot see your own head / face. Instead you "see" the world.
  • As you keep walking and approaching the object you were focused on, realize that you may think that your feet are moving your body, and that you are approaching the tree, but in reality, the entire visual field is configuring/recalibrating/moving around you, MIND.
  • Notice how you are at the center of reality.
  • Think of yourself as the rock bottom, never-changing, static screen upon which the world is appearing.
  • Matter is simply sluggish mind. You are mind. God is mind. Everything is mind.
  • You are going nowhere. At all. The world is going to you.
  • If you achieve this, your awareness will suddenly shift, and you will experience the entire scene taking itself in, as opposed to you looking onto the world like a camera behind you eyes.
  • Suddenly, the object/subject relation will completely flatten.
  • This state can last for a few minutes, but if you practice long enough, you can sustain this non-dual state for much longer.

You can try this anywhere. Grocery store, driving, etc.

There is no space, there is no time, it's one massive illusion — a trick God plays on itself to feel connected. :D

Let me know if you try it and if it works for you!

Would love your input @Leo Gura

fourier.jpg

Matter is simply sluggish mind. You are mind. God is mind. Everything is mind.

I would rather say "Matter is simply sluggish light. You are light. God is light. Everything is light. "

What you call Mind I call the light of consciousness - for me a much better pointer, but otherwise this whole exercise is great. Just different terminology. If you don't think this is the case, let's discuss, if you mean something other than the light of consciousness/aware presence . 

In my books Mind = Thoughts and what you call Mind I call awareness/consciousness. I know many use these terms slightly different, so I'll give you that.  xD 

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

26 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

Do you want to induce non-dual states or do you want to abide in it? It's apparently easy to induce it, but letting it become your natural state is a completely different task. Focus on the problem of resting in non-dual awareness. These types of practices is just a hamster spinning in a wheel.

You need to be able to rest. By rest I don't mean "becoming aware of your true self", or becoming mindful, or inducing a calm state. I just simply mean relax, stop searching, go on about your day. Limit your spiritual practice to a select time period of your day. When you're not practicing, you're doing something else. Whatever you're supposed to do, do it fully, then when you're not doing it, let it be.

This is important, because a non-dual state only becomes your abiding state if you're resting in it. I keep seeing this type of ADHD spirituality on this forum, and based on my own experience, it's really detrimental to both your mental health and your spiritual progression. By following half-baked practices that you can just do on a whim when you feel like it, you're setting yourself up for intrusive thoughts and compulsive behaviour. Your practice shouldn't impede your daily life. Have some structure, establish a routine, and your work will actually pay off.

I think this is just a dynamic meditation that one can do whenever, it is simply becoming aware of being that field in which all sensations and conceptions arise. I guess the original poster uses all these labels to describe the practice so the reader can actually understand, but it's really simpler than that in practice - not mechanical. As you said, you just sit. You just walk.

I think this practice is like that, natural, if taken into practice. For example right now, I just write and this experience is dying every second. Every word I write comes into existence and dies. I give my words as offerings to the eternal. In a loving, joyful way, aligning with the divine by not grasping or seeking to hold on to anything. Not holding on to any state, not any word, not any sensation or feeling.

Who is doing that? Well It is a happening and the wider awareness sees the human typing this. It's like a continuous offering of all experience to this one knowing that sees the event happening within it. It's like every experience - good/bad, all dual experience, is an offering to the nondual space which is the only reality..

I do agree with you that there's quite a bit of ADHD and trying to get some cool effect, taking drugs to induce nondual states and so on. I think we actually need to try our hardest to have a real dual state instead of achieving a nondual state (which is All the freaking time if duality is seen for what it is). Now that takes real effort, commitment and holding on to rigid beliefs and ideas to achieve. 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

6 minutes ago, Dodo said:

I think this is just a dynamic meditation that one can do whenever

That is exactly the problem.

29 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

By following half-baked practices that you can just do on a whim whenever you feel like it, you're setting yourself up for intrusive thoughts and compulsive behaviour. Your practice shouldn't impede your daily life. Have some structure, establish a routine, and your work will actually pay off.

Edited by Carl-Richard

29 minutes ago, Dodo said:

divine simplicity :) Some of us need more lol

I would rather say "Matter is simply sluggish light. You are light. God is light. Everything is light. "

What you call Mind I call the light of consciousness - for me a much better pointer, but otherwise this whole exercise is great. Just different terminology. If you don't think this is the case, let's discuss, if you mean something other than the light of consciousness/aware presence . 

In my books Mind = Thoughts and what you call Mind I call awareness/consciousness. I know many use these terms slightly different, so I'll give you that.  xD 

@Dodo We agree, we can use them interchangeably :)

I do mean that reality is pure fucking magic, completely mystical, infinite and it’s all absolutely nothing.

1 minute ago, justfortoday said:

@Dodo We agree, we can use them interchangeably :)

I do mean that reality is pure fucking magic, completely mystical, infinite and it’s all absolutely nothing.

Beautiful! <3 

@justfortoday Yup, your recontextualization technique sounds about right. About 2 years ago I "slipped" into that state of awareness and haven't "returned" ever since lol.

Well, but it's the way things always were. For most people it's in the "wrong" context though.

When I suddenly understood that the whole universe was/is me and that it is right here, right now, there's nowhere to go, there's only one Subject that observes itself through everything there is, it made me feel like I went insane. There was no I, and there was nowhere to go. No "escape" (but there's no one to escape either?). 

You are emphasizing the visual aspect of this realization, I'd like to add something to this:

Listen to some sound. Put on some "Om chant" on YouTube or something (it doesn't really matter what you listen to, but the Om chant are long and repetitive sounds). 

Now, close your eyes and listen. And then try to hear the "hearer" and that which is "heard"

As you will find there's no difference. Only boundless sound without locality, appearing and disappearing in consciousness. Nobody listening, nothing that is listened to. Only that which is. 

It might be a bit easier than the visual aspect, because visual perception is our primary intake and therefore I think associated more strongly with "what reality is". 

Edited by Tim R

@Carl-Richard Im definitely a culprit of 24 hour meditation practices, walking meditation, talking meditation... every activity is done mindfully with training intensions.

Based on your suggestion im going to incorporate "not meditating" or "not seeking" practices. lol

hmm whats the word for this? being? 

Edited by integral

1 hour ago, Tim R said:

Listen to some sound. Put on some "Om chant" on YouTube or something (it doesn't really matter what you listen to, but the Om chant are long and repetitive sounds). 

Now, close your eyes and listen. And then try to hear the "hearer" and that which is "heard"

As you will find there's no difference. Only boundless sound without locality, appearing and disappearing in consciousness. Nobody listening, nothing that is listened to. Only that which is. 

It might be a bit easier than the visual aspect, because visual perception is our primary intake and therefore I think associated more strongly with "what reality is". 

Whoa. Just tried it. You’re right, the sound is just happening without a listener ?

53 minutes ago, integral said:

Based on your suggestion im going to incorporate "not meditating" or "not seeking" practices. lol

It's not a pratice. It's just you going about your day without unnecessarily fueling your attachment to spirituality, without creating neurotic patterns around spiritual pratice itself. Your spiritual practice obviously shouldn't be a source of neurotic behaviour/thoughts. It's directly antithetical to what you're trying to achieve. You don't want to spend the rest of your life doing a 24/7 spiritual practice. That is what you're setting yourself up for.

Do your spiritual practice, then drop it and go about your day.

"Before enlightenment, chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment, chop wood, carry water."

Edited by Carl-Richard

9 hours ago, justfortoday said:

Keep walking, now realize that you cannot see your own head / face. Instead you "see" the world.

This part reminds me of Douglas Hardings' book 'On having no head', and you've put it in your own broader context. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_Harding

It's like we are simplifying things to what is actual awareness and dropping the assumptions we've been taught about reality.

4 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

The problem is..

Before people thought that the sun and everything is orbiting around earth. That earth is the center of universe. That was delusion and now we are laughing at the stupidity of that.

And this is the same thing, but even worse.

So.. I can't risk believing something delusional.

You don’t understand my original post ontologically.

Yet you are calling me worse than stupid, and delusional.

Very nice.

7 minutes ago, Mikael89 said:

Shouldn't we just accept that no experience can be trusted? With no exceptions.

By doing that though, aren't you trusting in the experience of you not trusting in experience? o.O

tenor.gif?itemid=4572252

@Mikael89 Experience appears on the empty screen of the Absolute but yet they are not two.