Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sid X

Which need does entertainment serve?

14 posts in this topic

Do chimps have entertainment? what's the difference between chimp entertainment and human entertainment? does they do it to form bond?

As an artist not all entertainment is the same.

Some entertainment is art.  Think of the great films like Fight Club, The Godfather part 1 and 2, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Spirited Away, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas and etc.  Or great albums like Thriller, Sgt Peppers and the lonely hearts club, Dark side of the moon, SF Sorrow, Mellon Collie and the infinite sadness, Either Or.  Or even shows like Breaking Bad or even the Office.  They have transcended entertainment and became art.

Then there is entertainment like reality tv, action movies, bro/stage orange comedies, Tyler Perry’s stuff, Taylor Swift, Nickleback, that are meant for the masses.  Only meant to make money.  No real depth to them.

The entertainment industry used to be more about creating art.  That was until the Internet.  Now it’s all about what makes money.

Soulful entertainment 

Commercial popcorn entertainment 

Sleazy entertainment 

Artsy Entertainment 

Trashy Entertainment 

Juvenile Cheap shallow   Entertainment 

Pleasant Entertainment 

Educational Entertainment 

Sensory Dopamine  Addictive Entertainment 

Edited by Preety_India

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

8 hours ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

The entertainment industry used to be more about creating art.  That was until the Internet.  Now it’s all about what makes money.

All art is artifice. There's nothing authentic here, it's all up to the person judging the art as something other than them. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

1 hour ago, mandyjw said:

All art is artifice. There's nothing authentic here, it's all up to the person judging the art as something other than them. 

I wouldn’t say that.  Look at something like Peanuts.  Charles Schulz made that after the woman he loved chose another man.  He then goes on to write a comic strip about a lovable loser that everyone relates to.

Or take the film Almost Famous.  That was basically an autobiographical film about the writer/director’s experience writing for rolli g stone when he was a teenager.

There is still authentic art out there.  Though, it is all about what you are bringing to it.  What kind of participant you are.

Edited by Thestarguitarist14

10 hours ago, Sid X said:

Which need does entertainment serve?

Turning off the monkey-mind after it's done its work, that's all, cuz the mind is a workaholic.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

1 hour ago, Thestarguitarist14 said:

I wouldn’t say that.  Look at something like Peanuts.  Charles Schulz made that after the woman he loved chose another man.  He then goes on to write a comic strip about a lovable loser that everyone relates to.

Or take the film Almost Famous.  That was basically an autobiographical film about the writer/director’s experience writing for rolli g stone when he was a teenager.

There is still authentic art out there.  Though, it is all about what you are bringing to it.  What kind of participant you are.

Oh no, I agree. I would also say that Taylor Swift and Justin Beiber are authentic art. I mean to say that on a deeper level that it's all artifice, it's all based on our perspective and our perspective and the person behind it is what's false. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and art is the same thing. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

21 hours ago, Sid X said:

Do chimps have entertainment? what's the difference between chimp entertainment and human entertainment? does they do it to form bond?

I remember Jane Goodall said that chimps play quite often. So I suppose you could qualify that as a form of entertainment.

However, entertainment in our modern society is a completely different beast. And not in a good way.

Entertainment goes hand in hand with our consumer, capitalist-driven society. Whereas humans previously would have found ways to entertain ourselves by playing and engaging our imagination, now we just pay someone to do it for us.

Why tell jokes with your friends when you can just sit and watch a professional stand-up comedian?

Why play games when you can watch professional athletes?

The consequence of this is we become passive and lose touch with our natural creativity.

People who can make their own fun are rare indeed these days.

So why do we do it? I believe it's our collective coping mechanism. When you've lost touch with spirit / nature, all you've got left is mindless entertainment.

When you return to spirit, you'll notice that you no longer have as much need, if any, for entertainment.

38 minutes ago, aurum said:

I remember Jane Goodall said that chimps play quite often. So I suppose you could qualify that as a form of entertainment.

However, entertainment in our modern society is a completely different beast. And not in a good way.

Entertainment goes hand in hand with our consumer, capitalist-driven society. Whereas humans previously would have found ways to entertain ourselves by playing and engaging our imagination, now we just pay someone to do it for us.

Why tell jokes with your friends when you can just sit and watch a professional stand-up comedian?

Why play games when you can watch professional athletes?

The consequence of this is we become passive and lose touch with our natural creativity.

People who can make their own fun are rare indeed these days.

So why do we do it? I believe it's our collective coping mechanism. When you've lost touch with spirit / nature, all you've got left is mindless entertainment.

When you return to spirit, you'll notice that you no longer have as much need, if any, for entertainment.

Good point, stage orange entertainment is like fast food, it gets people addicted. Stage green entertainment, returning to spirit 「Back to nature, joking with friends, be creative and discover the unknown」is to awaken our ancestors' natural ability to entertain themselves and spirituality certainly takes it to the next level. 

On 10.10.2020 at 5:14 PM, Gesundheit said:

Turning off the monkey-mind after it's done its work, that's all, cuz the mind is a workaholic.

Well, I agree that entertainment will certainly turn off the monkey-mind, but it is a huge distraction too and there is a big potential for abuse (e.g. watching too much Netflix, IG etc.) :)

Dopamine stimulation and consumerism. Corporations play on our inbuilt biological drives and market products around them. This is especially true in the US where Hollywood, Media, and corporations sensationalize and play on our emotions even moreso than in foreign countries. It's one reason half the population thinks the world is 'going to hell' .. because they watch the news.  All of it is based on Freud and Yung and evolved from much of their works. Give people what their inner ape inside wants... leo's video on the happiness spectrum correctly talks about the types of happiness that would be more worth pursuing, but really what makes something "worth" pursuing? Are we just kidding ourselves? Maybe the people who stuff themselves and watch Football all day have it right.... maybe most of us here are the neurotic ones and the "sheep" are the ones doing it right... something I ponder from time to time... 

Would you take the blue pill? I often ask myself that.... 

Edited by sholomar

I believe that someone who lives a higher-self life would view entertainment as a way to pass time, as well as lift one’s spirits. Entertainment is meant to entertain, appreciate the natural art of it. There is nothing low conscious about wanting or even needing entertainment. I guess entertainment can be a trap of the low conscious self, but someone high conscious might still choose to seek out entertainment. Not everyone high conscious is always working. In fact it’s probably unhealthy to live without some kind of down time.

On 13/10/2020 at 4:13 PM, Vittorio said:

Well, I agree that entertainment will certainly turn off the monkey-mind, but it is a huge distraction too and there is a big potential for abuse (e.g. watching too much Netflix, IG etc.) :)

Without enough awareness, anything can become a distraction that has a big potential for abuse. If one is aware enough, they will know what they want and need.

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

On 2020-10-10 at 0:38 AM, Thestarguitarist14 said:

As an artist not all entertainment is the same.

Some entertainment is art.  Think of the great films like Fight Club, The Godfather part 1 and 2, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Spirited Away, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas and etc.  Or great albums like Thriller, Sgt Peppers and the lonely hearts club, Dark side of the moon, SF Sorrow, Mellon Collie and the infinite sadness, Either Or.  Or even shows like Breaking Bad or even the Office.  They have transcended entertainment and became art.

Then there is entertainment like reality tv, action movies, bro/stage orange comedies, Tyler Perry’s stuff, Taylor Swift, Nickleback, that are meant for the masses.  Only meant to make money.  No real depth to them.

Anything is art to at least a somebody :)

Sailing on the ceiling