Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FortisFortunaAdiuvat

What to do when you take action in an area for years without seeing results?

15 posts in this topic

I don't even want to go into too much detail. In short, it's an area I just have to work on and it's more important to me than anything else in the world. I will and cannot give up before I succeed because it'll open so many doors for me.

Even with all of this driving me, I don't want to do it anymore sometimes because it's so emotionally challenging. How do you not lose hope? I feel like I need to be some kind of John Rambo to keep going. 

It's something I worked on for so many years. I tried dozens of different things, looked at it from so many different angles, spent a lot of money on expertise. I keep going back to things I tried in the past to see if I missed something.

Taking a break can be considered part of the process. Sometimes you're so deep in the details of problem-solving that you aren't leaving any time for relaxing and letting your brain go into diffused learning.

There's not really any risk of losing the goal, if it is important to you then there will always be time a week or even a few weeks from now to re-engage.

https://blog.usejournal.com/how-we-think-and-learn-our-brains-two-modes-of-thinking-860355983fff

Edited by smurf88

it's hard to say anything without context, but it might be that you have a bad strategy of going about things and maybe you need to change it

For a long time I didn't feel like I got results with composing music so I spent a lot of time researching on learning how to learn which I feel like have helped me. My conclusion so far to become better at creative things is to study the master's works and learn from them and get feedback from an expert.(And a lot of other things mentioned in Deliberate Practice)

I think whatever area you want to improve research is important but you can do it in many ways like reading a book, Interview an expert and learn from their experience, watch videos, Take courses, and so on. If you are stuck it may help to interview someone who has overcome your obstacle and figure out how they did it.

It can take a while but the key is to be persistent and never give up on your goals.

Edited by BjarkeT

First of all, it's hard for anyone to help you if you don't give more detail. 

Second, if you're not seeing any kind of progress whatsoever, then it's a waste of time to keep pushing it. 

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. Don't be a damn fool about it." -- WC Fields 

Edited by kag101

one day this will all be memories

Simple.

You have values which turn into standards, not standards which turn into values. Sounds like you're doing the latter.

Only reason you could be giving up is due to insecurity (unless of course your goal is actually totally unfeasible/delusional), the only reason you have an insecurity is because you've unknowingly/knowingly got values that support that insecurity. 

Do a value inventory (work through the insecurity as it pertains), then have standards that align with the values. 

It's not enough either to just "have a value" you have to BE it as much as possible, as I note in a recent thread (you can see my history) a value is a synthesis of both cognitive and emotional content, meaning you have to think and feel about it in order to take action on it.

Edited by Origins

Persistence is a quality of all successful people. If it's extremely important to you, develop a mindset of doing it for the sake of doing it. 

Remember to build an audience & work out loud. Youtube and Twitter are great tools for this, use them.

This keeps your motivation up and is also good marketing for life purpose.

Edited by JC Bailey

Quit.

I will go in to details. For 10 years I was an online poker grinder. It took me 10 years to realize I am no good. My experience as a poker grinder was useful to start a successful business in 2017.